Bring on CarsLand! A Fun-Filled Mother-Daughter Birthday Trip! FINAL UPDATES 9/8!!!!

Tomorrowland Eats and Thrills​

After our thrilling bobsled ride, it was about 2:00, and we were both a little hungry having not really had an actual meal yet today. Of course, we did have dinner plans for later, so we didn’t want to eat a whole meal. We stopped at Tomorrowland Terrace and got some bottled water and an order of french fries to share.

This was a fun little break for us - a snack, sunshine, and we got to see the beginning of the jedi training which takes place right next to this CS location. (At DL, the jedi training is still for those kids who get picked out of the crowd as opposed to the way that they now do it at DHS where you sign your kids up in advance.)

Soon, however, this was beckoning us.

As you can see, there was only a 10-minute wait, so we were all about Space!

The queue for Space Mountain at DL is funny - you walk up this long ramp, and then the queue is on the top of the building. The views are really nice!

There was no wait today, but I would imagine that there are times when there are long looping lines amongst the chains up here. But for today, we were able to zip right through into the indoor portion of the queue, which I would imagine also gets backed up at busier times of the year. We, however, were able to just walk along until we got to the ride vehicles.

I love the ride vehicles on DL’s version of this attraction because you can sit next to your fellow traveler. Also, the entire ride is much more smooth than the WDW version.

We enjoyed our ride - of course!

At this point, it was about 3:00, so we decided that we would do one more ride and see if we could meet some characters before heading back to the hotel to change and meet up with our friends. We headed through Tomorrowland, and this little beauty caught our eye.

Oh Buzz - so fun!

Now, my dear WDW friends, I hate to tell you this, but this is one of the dual-coast attractions that is just far superior at DL. Why, you ask? Well, THE GUNS COME OFF THE VEHICLE - you can AIM! It’s fabulous! I mean, I still suck at it because I can never tell which red dot is mine, but at least on this version, I feel like I stand a chance of hitting something! :laughing: The ride photo option at WDW is much better, however. For some reason, you can’t scan it on your PP+ card - instead, you have to email it to yourself (which means waiting in line behind other people emailing their photos to themselves), and the quality is awful. However, THE GUNS COME OFF THE VEHICLE!

After our fun ride, we wandered up Main Street and found a bunch of characters out meeting guests. However, all of their lines had just been closed (this happened to us almost every day on Main Street for some reason!). Willow was not in the mood to wait the 10 minutes or so for them to return, so we left the park.

Up Next: What Were We Thinking????

HOLD UP! the GUNS come OFF the vehicle?!? now we really have to get to DL! I might actually get a real score!

space mountain looks so pretty! I love the WDW version, I'm sure i'd love that one too!

LOVE Space Mountain in DL!!! Love the soundtrack running with the ride. The seats are so much more comfortable. And you are definitely right about the ride being smoother. :thumbsup2 I will not bother to ride it WDW again unless I am being drug on by a child not wanting to ride alone. But I would be with the masses headed there at rope drop in DL! :rotfl:

It is fun to compare the parks and their similar rides when you have been to both places. DL and DCA has WDW beat in many attractions. (with the exception of ToT)

Can't wait to see where you have headed off next!

Hi there! I just wanted to pop in and let you know how I've been enjoying your trip reports. I'm particularly enjoying reading up on Disneyland because we've never been and would like to try to get out there later this year or next. I usually travel with my daughter just the two of us as well and enjoy reading about your adventures :)

I love seeing the differences between the parks!

I love how you can barely see Willow on Space and how awesome that the guns come off :)

I love that Willow rides coasters with you. what a great travel buddy!

It's cool that the Buzz ride has removable guns, but that picture quality...:rotfl2:

Love your TR so far! What an awesome way for your daughter to start her Disney vacation by meeting Baloo right away. :wizard: Looking forward to reading more! :)

Subbing in!! When is your next DL trip planned? Where do you live in WA? I grew up in Seattle and grew up going to DL, but live in Mass. now so it's been a while since I was last at DL!! However, I have a trip coming up in just over a month with my 2yo dd!! So excited to bring her, and your TR makes me SO excited to do more mother daughter stuff as she gets older!! So awesome to be able to ride these things together!! AND so fun to see the characters out and about at the DLH!! That's awesome! We are staying there, too! eek!

HOLD UP! the GUNS come OFF the vehicle?!? now we really have to get to DL! I might actually get a real score!
RIGHT?????? I was so blown away the first time we went, and the wonder never ceases! Why did they not do this at WDW?????

space mountain looks so pretty! I love the WDW version, I'm sure i'd love that one too!
You would. Honestly, the DLR version is significantly better. I hope you make the trip one day!

LOVE Space Mountain in DL!!! Love the soundtrack running with the ride. The seats are so much more comfortable. And you are definitely right about the ride being smoother. :thumbsup2 I will not bother to ride it WDW again unless I am being drug on by a child not wanting to ride alone. But I would be with the masses headed there at rope drop in DL! :rotfl:
Okay - so I'm not crazy - that soundtrack thing is NOT present in the WDW Space, right??? I have done it so few times I wasn't sure. It just MAKES the ride, right????? This is one of many attractions that are just shockingly better at DLR. :confused3

It is fun to compare the parks and their similar rides when you have been to both places. DL and DCA has WDW beat in many attractions. (with the exception of ToT)
YES! ToT is the one notable exception - it is definitely better at WDW. But I can't think of anything else that I can say that about. It's funny that the attractions that appear at both parks are so different! I still think that Pirates is the most notable. ::yes::

Can't wait to see where you have headed off next!
Thanks! Sorry the updates are taking forever - in addition to being swamped in real life, I am overwhelmed with trying to keep up with everyone else's TRs and keeping two TRs and a DR updated myself. Yikes!

Hi there! I just wanted to pop in and let you know how I've been enjoying your trip reports. I'm particularly enjoying reading up on Disneyland because we've never been and would like to try to get out there later this year or next. I usually travel with my daughter just the two of us as well and enjoy reading about your adventures :)
Hey there! Thanks so much for posting! I hope you will continue to read along and join in the fun.

Mother-daughter trips are such a wonderful opportunity to spend time together that isn't weighted down with all the everyday-life stuff. I bet the two of you will love DLR! :wizard:

I love seeing the differences between the parks!
Isn't it interesting! I'm always surprised by how much the same and yet very different they are!

I love how you can barely see Willow on Space and how awesome that the guns come off :)
Right? The gun thing is a revelation! :laughing:

I love that Willow rides coasters with you. what a great travel buddy!
Oh yeah, I hope I never develop motion sickness because my child is a thrill-ride junkie. I'm so glad she doesn't know about other parks with bigger, more thrilling coasters - not sure I can handle those, and I know there is no coaster she wouldn't want to do! :scared1:

It's cool that the Buzz ride has removable guns, but that picture quality...:rotfl2:
The gun thing is FANTASTIC! The weird email picture thing is ridiculous. Hopefully they will switch that to PP sometime soon. I mean, come on! :confused3

Love your TR so far! What an awesome way for your daughter to start her Disney vacation by meeting Baloo right away. :wizard: Looking forward to reading more! :)
Thanks so much for joining in!!!! :good vibes It was truly a fantastic start to our little birthday trip. pixiedust:

Subbing in!! When is your next DL trip planned? Where do you live in WA? I grew up in Seattle and grew up going to DL, but live in Mass. now so it's been a while since I was last at DL!! However, I have a trip coming up in just over a month with my 2yo dd!! So excited to bring her, and your TR makes me SO excited to do more mother daughter stuff as she gets older!! So awesome to be able to ride these things together!! AND so fun to see the characters out and about at the DLH!! That's awesome! We are staying there, too! eek!
Thanks for joining in!

We are going again this summer! :woohoo:

We are in south-eastern Washington. I lived in Seattle for a couple of years during my college years!

How exciting that you are going to make the trip to DLR from Massachusetts (I lived in Boston once as well! How funny!). Our Disney trips together are the BEST - I bet you and your daughter will love it! Our first Disney trip together was when DD was 3. I didn't do a report for that one, but I did for the one at 4. I hope you have as much fun as we have had - I know you will!

The DLH is a lovely place to stay - I think you will both really enjoy it. Are you going to eat at Goofy's Kitchen? That has become our last-night tradition - I expect we will always eat there on our last DLR night. It is SO much fun! :woohoo:

What Were We Thinking????​

After we missed out on Main Street characters, we just couldn’t resist walking across the courtyard to California Adventure (CA) to see if anyone was out and greeting guests. Yes, WDW friends, you read that correctly - we decided to WALK ACROSS THE COURTYARD to another park! :woohoo: See it over there?

Last time we were at DLR, they were building CarsLand, so the entrance area to CA was totally under construction - that was the only time we had ever visited CA. It was fun to walk in and be greeted with a proper park instead of construction walls.

Willow immediately spotted Hollywood Goofy, so we headed over to meet him as fast as we could!

Of course, as soon as we said good-bye to Goofy, we noticed Hollywood Pluto! You KNOW we weren’t going to pass on hanging with our main dog!

So, this is where we lost our minds. We were going to cut through CA and exit through the Grand Californian Hotel (GCH), which yes, WDW people, has an entrance/exit IN THE PARK. So we were walking along….

And I spotted Grizzly River Rapids.

We had not done this attraction last time because it was rather chilly in January, and we didn’t want to risk getting wet. Today, however, despite it being January, it was not at all cold. And doesn’t that look like a fun ride? Hey, what’s the wait time?

Yep, that says 5 minutes!

I suggested that we try it out since we were heading directly to the hotel - if we got wet, it wouldn’t matter because we would be going right back to the hotel and could dry off. Willow was game - I mean, it was a RIDE. :rolleyes:

So we ventured down the walkway to the ride.

In some ways, this is a really cool attraction. It is a pleasant raft ride in the beginning - the surroundings are beautiful, I think I even remember the music being perfect, it seems much longer than AK’s KRR. HOWEVER, we hated this. Why? Because we didn’t get damp. We didn’t get wet. We (mostly I) got completely and thoroughly soaked. Hideously soaked. I was wearing jeans - soaked jeans are disgusting! And it wasn’t cold out, but it was January - it wasn’t exactly boiling hot either! And when soaked to the skin, it didn’t feel warm at all!

We made our way along whining and complaining through the GCH exit/entrance at about 4:00.

Finally, we were almost to the DLH!

When we arrived, however, we couldn’t go straight to the room because we needed to show our APs at the front desk to get the AP room rate and our anytime FPs. Luckily, we had dried off a little on the way, so at least we weren’t dripping. Our stop at the front desk was very quick - we got the same CM who had checked us in. And she handed us 4 anytime FPs. I knew just how we would be making use of those…….

Up Next: Riding the Monorail Slide

Yes, what were you thinking?? :lmao: I will ONLY ride GRR when it is HOT out. I hate being soaked and walking around the park. They do have a way to control the "splash" of the rafts during the winter. You must have been on a warm day when they didn't feel the need to turn it down a notch! Sometimes that geyser at the end gets you more soaked than anything.

I much prefer the DL Buzz ride. In fact, we rarely do that ride at WDW since I can't pick up the gun and aim. Now the DL version... that's a different story. I can be a galactic hero with that one! :rotfl2:

You mentioned the long trek in Space Mountain to get to the loading area... Most of the wait is outside in the lines before you enter the "space portal." The CMs monitor the inside queues so when they allow people to enter you just walk on through to practically the room where you start to see the loading area. Meaning, I've never seen the queue back up all the way inside. (It could but I've never seen it even with long stand by waits...)

It is so delightful reading your report and seeing your observations about the differences between WDW and DL. That and the fact that Willow is so adorable with those DCA Hollywood characters.

Love the update! ;)

DL is a lot like DLRP where you just walk across a little plaza to get from one park to the other. We LOVE that at both destinations. :thumbsup2

Oh, and you are one brave lady riding GRR in January! :rotfl2: We did it once in August and had to leave the park after it to go get changed as we looked like drowned rats after it. :lmao:
We were staying at the Desert Inn and were happy NOT to have to go through the lobby.
But I am glad your stay at the lobby was quick. Sometimes the A/C is so cold.

Okay, one more question - what's that with the anytime FP? I might have missed the explanation, but can you see that I am soaking up information for our trip in 2016? ;)

Third picture of Little Princess and our favorite ( and might I add VERY attentive ) dog ....just sayin' :rotfl2: pointing that little finger I thought for sure the next pictures would show a " sit, stay" Pluto

I can even see the book cover " Anyone can train any dog...Willow takes on Disney " :rotfl:

Ugh soaked jeans..happened to me once in a down pour at WDW I usually wear jeans and always hope it doesn't pour like that when I'm there I have never been on KRR always think about it and then dismiss the idea

It's hard for me to say this because I am such a WDW devotee...but I think Space and Splash Mountain are so much better at DL. Like you said, DL Space is so much smoother, and I just love the soundtrack!

The guns coming off the vehicle in Buzz does make the game a lot easier!

Goofy and Pluto are SO ADORABLE in their Hollywood gear.

Oh no...I knew where this was going once you said Grizzly River Rapids!

Uummmmm--excuse me? Where is the dripping wet picture? The only reason to do those rides is for the embarrassing photo op at the end. I guess you'll have to ride again next visit! :rotfl:

I'm going to have to show Hannah those goofy pictures! He looks so cute in his green and blue suit. She'll love that!

What was willow saying to Pluto? I can't tell if that's a scolding or the middle of a great story....

I love how intimate DLR feels! Its great that you can exit through the park to the resort area, especially when you are dripping wet!

I love seeing Willow meet the characters she always looks like she is having a great time!

Thanks for joining in!

We are going again this summer! :woohoo:

We are in south-eastern Washington. I lived in Seattle for a couple of years during my college years!

How exciting that you are going to make the trip to DLR from Massachusetts (I lived in Boston once as well! How funny!). Our Disney trips together are the BEST - I bet you and your daughter will love it! Our first Disney trip together was when DD was 3. I didn't do a report for that one, but I did for the one at 4. I hope you have as much fun as we have had - I know you will!

The DLH is a lovely place to stay - I think you will both really enjoy it. Are you going to eat at Goofy's Kitchen? That has become our last-night tradition - I expect we will always eat there on our last DLR night. It is SO much fun! :woohoo:

How funny!! Each year Aria's daycare closes for a week in August so last year we went to WDW for a week, and are doing it again this year. It's just so fun to think about what we have to look forward to!

YES!! Since you asked (no you didn't but I'm too excited so going to tell you anyway!! LOL!) our plans are 5 nights at DLH - Catal for dinner, then Blue Bayou for lunch & F! dessert party; then Ariel's Grotto lunch & Cafe Orleans dinner, then Goofy's Kitchen breakfast (our day off), pool time, dinner at Ralph Brennens, and then on our last day doing Steakhouse 55 for breakfast and finishing up the day with Wine Country Trattoria with a WoC package.

First time seeing WoC and Carsland as the last time I was at DL was in 2008 i think, right before any of that opened. Really enjoying your TR and going to finish up reading your last update!

Can't wait to see the pool area!! Too funny on Grizzly river run! Wet jeans are the worst! I know - walking everywhere is just AMAZING! Love all the characters out! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter