• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bring back rice krispie treats/cookies?

adventure_woman

DIS Veteran
When you return to the US, can you bring back extra rice krispie treats and the cookies? OR, would they not let them come back in?

We've brought them off the ship at Port Canaveral with no problem. I even carried a cake off with no problems.
USDA specifically prohibits you from bringing back in fruit, vegetables and meats. Nothing is said about baked goods.

Curious . . . are you talking about prepackaged/wrapped krispies and cookies you buy in the ship gift shop?

Curious . . . are you talking about prepackaged/wrapped krispies and cookies you buy in the ship gift shop?

No, the fresh baked cookies and Mickey krispie treats from room service.

No, the fresh baked cookies and Mickey krispie treats from room service.

I am thinking that those are a NO NO.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember from the speech they give the night before debarkation, that they are not allowed off the ship.

I would be doubly sure about the legality of taking them off the ship.

I am thinking that those are a NO NO.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember from the speech they give the night before debarkation, that they are not allowed off the ship.

I would be doubly sure about the legality of taking them off the ship.

Im thinking your right. I asked our wedding planner about taking the rest of our wedding cake off the ship, and the answer I got is no. Basically what ever food comes off the ship, has to be factory sealed in some way shape of form. Tupperware,(we asked specifically), cling wrap dosent count. The rice crispy treats that come in the factiry bag are ok, but the fresh ones on the ship, would be a no.

I don't know the *official* answer here ...

but, I will observe that the "amnesty table" at debarkation had examples of fresh fruit (reminding folks to leave fresh fruit at that point or risk penalties), but do not recall seeing samples of unwrapped cookies or rice krispie treats

Can we bring pre-packaged food on board? We will be at WDW for a week before our trip and I know that we will have snack credits left over. We generally use these to buy snacks to bring home. Will we allowed to board with these? I'm assuming that if we can, it would, again, have to be packaged foods and not fresh items. Thanks!

Christiaan's (Wonder cruise director) recent announcement the last cruise evening said that packaged/unopened foods are fine to bring back in "but if you've opened and started eating one of those rum cakes you bought in port, go ahead and finish it 'cause you can't bring that one ashore."

Hope this helps!

Can we bring pre-packaged food on board? We will be at WDW for a week before our trip and I know that we will have snack credits left over. We generally use these to buy snacks to bring home. Will we allowed to board with these? I'm assuming that if we can, it would, again, have to be packaged foods and not fresh items. Thanks!
You can bring packaged food on board. Last 7 nighter we had our son who was 18 months. We HAD to bring stuff on board.

Yes. You can bring what ever you want onboard, as long as it is seald from the factory. Things like potato chips, energy bars are fine. Its things like apples, and open food that you are eating in line,or something you made at home, that become the issue going on or off.

The short version is that DCL is following the guide lines from the USDA ( I think thats the group) They are trying to prevent non native bugs and bacteria etc. from entering the country. Where I used to work in the airport, theyd come in and check flowers that were shipped from Columbia. They werent looking for drugs,(Customs did that since they had a second home in the wharehouse) though they were found, they were lookng for insects etc, that could do harm to the US ecosystem.If they found a certain amount in 1 box, the entire shipment was destroyed, and had to be done in a certain length of time, by incineration.

This rule always confuses me. Last cruise, I brought onboard an unopened bag of dried fruits and nuts from Trader Joe's. It make good snacking throughout the trip but I had plenty left, so I took it home with me.

I felt like a criminal going through customs when I realized it might be against the rules. But it was brought from the US and taken back into the US -- was I in the wrong?

My understanding is if anything is open it is not allowed back in the US. My guess is that an open package could get some kind of insect or such and bring it back into the US. On our 7 day Western and on our 4 day cruises all ports had the same rule. We were not suppose to bring fruit and such from the ship onto land. The only place I know was ok was Castaway Cay. It is the same issue for each country.

Here is what the U.S. Customs and Border Protection site has to say about returning to the U.S. and food products:

Bringing Food into the U.S.

(03/21/2008)We regret that it is necessary to take agricultural items from your baggage. They cannot be brought into the United States because they may carry animal and plant pests and diseases. Restricted items include meats, fruits, vegetables, plants, soil, and products made from animal or plant materials.
Agricultural pests and diseases are a threat to U.S. food crops and livestock. Some of these organisms are highly contagious animal diseases that could cause severe economic damage to the livestock industry and losses in production, which would mean increased costs for meat and dairy products. Other pests can affect property values by damaging lawns, ornamental plants, trees, and even homes.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) are partners in this effort to protect American agriculture against the introduction of foreign plant and animal pests and diseases at our nation’s ports of entry. USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) develops the policies that determine what agricultural products can come into the country and what products pose a risk and should be kept out. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at ports of entry enforce these agricultural policies. Confiscated items are carefully destroyed in special CBP facilities. For additional information, please visit the CBP Web site. ( www.cbp.gov )

Here is what the U.S. Customs and Border Protection site has to say about returning to the U.S. and food products:

Bringing Food into the U.S.

(03/21/2008)We regret that it is necessary to take agricultural items from your baggage. They cannot be brought into the United States because they may carry animal and plant pests and diseases. Restricted items include meats, fruits, vegetables, plants, soil, and products made from animal or plant materials.
Agricultural pests and diseases are a threat to U.S. food crops and livestock. Some of these organisms are highly contagious animal diseases that could cause severe economic damage to the livestock industry and losses in production, which would mean increased costs for meat and dairy products. Other pests can affect property values by damaging lawns, ornamental plants, trees, and even homes.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) are partners in this effort to protect American agriculture against the introduction of foreign plant and animal pests and diseases at our nation’s ports of entry. USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) develops the policies that determine what agricultural products can come into the country and what products pose a risk and should be kept out. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at ports of entry enforce these agricultural policies. Confiscated items are carefully destroyed in special CBP facilities. For additional information, please visit the CBP Web site. ( www.cbp.gov )
Thanks for posting this, it's what I was searching their site for.

I am sitting at MCO right now after debarking the Wonder about two hours ago.

On this cruise, rice krispy treats were NOT available from room service and I called everyday! I was able to get them on our last two cruises, but not this one. :(

I had to resort to buying a box from Mickey's Mates.

Can't help with your question about non-packaged foods, but I will say that they did not check any of our bags (or even passports) at customs.

I am sitting at MCO right now after debarking the Wonder about two hours ago.

On this cruise, rice krispy treats were NOT available from room service and I called everyday! I was able to get them on our last two cruises, but not this one. :(

I had to resort to buying a box from Mickey's Mates.

Can't help with your question about non-packaged foods, but I will say that they did not check any of our bags (or even passports) at customs.

I did NOT know that you could get those!!!! I LOVE Mickey krispie treats!!!

By looking at the other quoted post the krispy treats are hit or miss from room service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter