Bridge Tours

Yep, confirming what the above poster said. I've never sailed Royal Carribean but I've read enough trip reports of people getting bridge tours. I have a feeling Disney doesn't do it because of the extra hassle and probably extra paperwork. It would be cool if they could make it a ticketed event. I'd pay money for it.

On my first ever Disney Cruise I was lucky to get a bridge tour and this was after 9/11 (September 2010). It wasn't until later when I realized how special and rare this tour was.

CARNIVAL DOES IT A LOT at sea cause I was on it in like 2014 and its just became an onboard excursion

Same way they do it for all the port workers in US ports? I don't think its that hard to verify. My husband can show up at facilities (with terminals) he's not worked at before and be allowed in within an hour or so. That includes getting vehicle permit & any site-specific safety run-downs. ;)

**edit**
Either way, I think checking various security clearances would be more trouble than it's worth. If the ship's aren't flagged in the US it's likely up to the discretion of the individual cruise lines. Which brings us back to its not that Disney cannot offer bridge tours, they elect not to. Not complaining either way. It's their choice to make. But when people think it's a 9/11-related regulation I like to make them aware that we have found this is not the case. ;)

My point was that it is easy for the port authorities to validate a pass before boarding in the home port. They have the equipment to do the biometric scan etc, and verify the person entering the port area around a ship, or for those that need to visit a ship in port.
If it were a sign up onboard type event, then unless the ship has a reader for the TWIC card, it would be very difficult.
Nothing more.

Royal Caribbean offers a bridge tour. We've done on last year while cruising the South Pacific and we were offered the opportunity to do one just a couple of weeks ago on an Alaska sailing.

Was that without charge?

Correct, there was no charge for that tour. However, we were sailing in a suite so it might have been a special perk.
I think it may be a perk for upper level rooms. We had just a balcony + inside and it would've set us back $150 each. This was also a while back (11/13). Not sure if maybe there's been changed since then. ;)

TWIC. Is mostly issued to anyone working or a visitor/worker at any type of Marine terminal. For about $160.00 and a reason to be on the marine terminal you go though a FBI type background check.

When issued the card is good for 3 to 5 years.

All vessels limit acces to various areas and you have to have a reason to enter those areas.

As to bridge tours I don't beleive there is any regulations or rules that would not permit bridge tours. It is up each line as to if they would be permitted.

FYI. I don't see the bridge as a security issue as even if someone was able to gain control of the bridge, the entire bridge can be shut down and control transferred to the ER or another secure area.

AKK

All vessels limit acces to various areas and you have to have a reason to enter those areas.

As to bridge tours I don't beleive there is any regulations or rules that would not permit bridge tours. It is up each line as to if they would be permitted.

FYI. I don't see the bridge as a security issue as even if someone was able to gain control of the bridge, the entire bridge can be shut down and control transferred to the ER or another secure area.

AKK

If it's not a security risk, as such, why do you think DCL do not do these tours on a regular basis?
Even if the charged a nominal $25pp to cover costs? It would seem strange as they like to please their passengers and provide excellent entertainment?

I posted earlier that it could be possible for someone to drop something that could interfere with a ships navigational system, maybe to try to give it false readings and send it off course. Do you think that is a possibility?
Is there a second bridge the ships can be sailed from? I get that they could shut down the bridge, but presumably the ECR cannot see to navigate?

It seems that they are still offered to certain VIPs. Michael Buble was on the Fantasy a few months ago and he posted a picture on his Instagram from the Bridge.

If the lack of bridge tours ever had anything to do with 9/11, it doesn't now. Both Royal Caribbean and Carnival regularly offer it as a sea day "excursion" - last one I took was this summer on RC for $150. It included kitchens, some crew areas, the engine control room (not the engine room), food storage areas, the theater (backstage) and the bridge. We had a chance to chat with the captain and get a photo sitting in the captain's chair. It was a great tour.

So I think it's safe to say that DCL's choice not to offer it is a business decision, and has nothing to do with security or any legal issues.

If it's not a security risk, as such, why do you think DCL do not do these tours on a regular basis?
Even if the charged a nominal $25pp to cover costs? It would seem strange as they like to please their passengers and provide excellent entertainment?

I posted earlier that it could be possible for someone to drop something that could interfere with a ships navigational system, maybe to try to give it false readings and send it off course. Do you think that is a possibility?
Is there a second bridge the ships can be sailed from? I get that they could shut down the bridge, but presumably the ECR cannot see to navigate?

Morning C6PT7

It could be any number of reasons why Disney does not do bridge tours.....C6pt7 you mentioned one...on the side of extreme caution, to prevent someone evil minded person from even trying to cause a problem. Frankly it would be easier to effect the sat nav system from the outside (tampering with the sat signals/ nav systems from a site off the bridge and even off the vessel) then from *dropping* something on the bridge. It has already happened on commercial and naval ships.

I would add as I pointed out earlier, there are other areas to where bridge controls can be transferred, including the ER (power systems , steering the propulsion). All systems could be monitored from these areas and watch standing and lookouts could be outside. Radar and electric chart overlays, emergency systems, etc. can be monitored from any established location inside. On the Classic vessels there is a set of ports in the upper area under the foremast, which is said to be a emergency bridge area. However I do not know if that is a fact.

The bottom line and the reason I don't feel the bridge is a real security issue, is with all the backup systems double checking the vessels position, course, speed and traffic in the area and time honored good and proper watch keeping by bridge personal, it his pretty hard to cause a problem that will not be caught pretty fast.

I think DCL does not normally have bridge tours on most cruises, because there are only limited times they could permit bridge tours, namely away from heavy traffic areas, near ports, or restricted navigation areas, etc. During a cross Atlantic voyage as MJ pointed out, they have had limited bridge tours out in the wide ,basically empty North Atlantic.

Another reason is I think Disney feels if you make a limited number of people happy with bridge tours, you are still going to make a lot of others unhappy because they did not have a bridge tour.

I understand why people would love a bridge and Engine CR tour, but to be honest, except for the radar/ nav screens its really mostly all buttons and lights. I came ashore 30 years ago and when I go on ta ship bridge these days (for work) its like walking on the bridge of the starship Enterprise, all techno!

AKK

Last edited:
Morning C6PT7

It could be any number of reasons why Disney does not do bridge tours.....C6pt7 you mentioned one...on the side of extreme caution, to prevent someone evil minded person from even trying to cause a problem. Frankly it would be easier to effect the sat nav system from the outside (tampering with the sat signals/ nav systems from a site off the bridge and even off the vessel) then from *dropping* something on the bridge. It has already happened on commercial and naval ships.

I would add as I pointed out earlier, there are other areas to where to bridge controls can be transferred, including the ER (power systems , steering the propulsion). All systems could be monitored from these areas and watch standing and lookouts could be outside. Radar and electric chart overlays, emergency systems, etc. can be monitored from any established location inside. On the Classic vessels there is a set of ports in the upper area under the foremast, which is said to be a emergency bridge area. However I do not know if that is a fact.

The bottom line and the reason I don't feel the bridge is a real security issue, is with all the backup systems double checking the vessels position, course, speed and traffic in the area and time honored good and proper watch keeping by bridge personal, it his pretty hard to cause a problem that will not be caught pretty fast.

I think DCL does not normally have bridge tours on most cruises, because there are only limited times they could permit bridge tours, namely away from heavy traffic areas, near ports, or restricted navigation areas, etc. During a cross Atlantic voyage as MJ pointed out, they have had limited bridge tours out in the wide ,basically empty North Atlantic.

Another reason is I think Disney feels if you make a limited number of people happy with bridge tours, you are still going to make a lot of others unhappy because they did not have a bridge tour.

I understand why people would love a bridge and Engine CR tour, but to be honest, except for the radar/ nav screens its really mostly all buttons and lights. I came ashore 30 years ago and when I goon the ship bridge these days to its like walking on the bridge of the starship Enterprise, all techno!

AKK

Just so there is no misunderstanding. MJ's cruise the Bridge tours were offered on was the Eastbound Panama Canal cruise. I've been on a number of DCL transatlantic crossings and the tours have never been offered.

Just so there is no misunderstanding. MJ's cruise the Bridge tours were offered on was the Eastbound Panama Canal cruise. I've been on a number of DCL transatlantic crossings and the tours have never been offered.

My error, I misread her post. However it still follows that is a long cruise.

AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter