BREXIT......How do you feel Brits? Excited??

It's actually not difficult. We literally have the vote tally that expresses exactly that and the actual numbers tell a different story; 52% of people supported leaving the EU and 48% of people supported remaining in it. I'd call that a close divide with an obvious majority opposed to continued membership in the EU, but it appears that for every 52 people with feelings against it there are 48 people who value the EU. To put it another way, I don't doubt that in your social circle of 52 individuals there was a visceral and negative reaction to continued EU membership, but remember that there is another social circle with just four fewer people that does not agree with you or your assessment.

According to Nigel Farage, you probably shouldn't be counting on that redistribution of funds being anywhere close to automatic (I'm sure you've seen it, but in case you haven't, it's in the video embedded in an otherwise also interesting article to which I've linked below).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...erwhelmingly-votes-in-favour-of-a7101311.html

It will be interesting to see if the UK's net contribution to the EU (about $8.5 billion, or $133 per citizen) is offset by the economic drag the departure causes. It's about three tenths of one percent (0.3%) of the UK's GDP, so I think the drag will exceed it and cost more than $8.5bn. The distribution of that net cost (whether it's greater than or less than $8.5bn) will be different, but it will be there, and most likely it will fall more heavily on the working class.

Thank you for educating me with your opinion.........

I will certainly file it appropriately.

Looks like there might be a do-over:

"A backlash has begun among British supporters of the U.K. remaining in the European Union, with a petition calling for a second referendum more than one million signatures.

The petition, created on Friday, has already gained far more than the 100,000 signatures required for it to be considered by the U.K. parliament for a debate and has caused the parliament website to crash several times due to high demand."

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/do...ed-in-uk-calling-for-a-re-vote-on-leaving-eu/

Must be if what they're reporting in the US is true - that the BBC had applied a full court press of constant "Remain" ads inundating the British airwaves. CNN made it sound like if there was any side that was utilizing the "media hucksters" to the largest degree, it was in support of remaining in the EU.

I would certainly agree with that.

We commented often about the BBC.......but to be honest if the BBC told me it was Saturday today I would check the calendar.

I, like many prefer to source our own information.

I am of Swedish ancestry (both my paternal great grandparents came here on a boat) and I hope and pray they vote to leave as well. It's not good there now.

I have NEVER understood what was hoped to be accomplished by the EU. Countries were CRAZY to join, IMO. But that's probably my American Independence talking ;)

The pressure for Europe to band together was born out of the devastation of fighting 2 World Wars, and the rise of the Soviet Union. Europe HAD to find another path. Here is America we have not spent most of our history in bloody battles between Canada and Mexico, interspersed with short periods of peace, so yeah, we don't have any idea of what it is like to wonder what wars are going to break out on our borders depending on the political climate of our neighbors. We like to believe tribalism is something the Middle East and Africa have to deal with and Western Civilizations are more civilized. Has Europe learned anything? Is economy a strong enough bond to keep everyone playing nice with one another? I guess we will see.

I think if a re vote were held today, the results would go the other way. Seems lots of people voted thinking the remain was goi g to win a fm they wanted to prove a point to government. Now that leave won, many are regretting that decision a do are just now actually educating themselves on what this actually means.

Yes the re-do referendum petition has reached 1.5million signatures but considering more than 33 million people voted it's not actually that many and no doubt some on that list are not actually eligible to vote.

I'm sure there is an analogy somewhere with toys and a pram hmmm....

I am finding that this discussion has been an informative one. I have been learning from all in a way that you can't from the media. I was just coming on to ask about the re vote probability. I understand that many were ill informed of the ramifications, or thought remain would win and sending some sort of message. At least from what I've read. Now, is there really any way that a re vote would actually happen? Any foundation for this to actually happen?

I understand that people are upset if they feel they lost, or under pretense that they were ill informed. However, I don't understand why that would mandate a re vote. I am not sure how things are on the other side of the pond, but information is out there to read about the pros and cons, and to take advantage of that. For instance, if November rolls around, in the US, and the candidate that you are for doesn't win, I can't see that going down as a right to say....let's get together and get a petition going to re vote. 2016 is shaping up to be one heck of an election cycle and I can see that there may be an uproar on either side.

To me, the onus is on the voters as to have the right to vote, you should be informed before you vote. Am I incorrect?

Again, I thank all of you for being informative and able to keep this as a discussion.

The "do-over" petition is ridiculous. This is what they want:

"We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60 per cent based a turnout less than 75 per cent there should be another referendum".

Basically they want to vote again with a standard that virtually guarantees that they can't lose.

The petition was actually started a month before the vote but only gained traction post referendum.

As for the claim that so many people were misled or misinformed is generally in reference to one particular point to do with NHS funding. As far as I was aware it had already been debunked as incorrect BEFORE the vote. I hardly think there is 1 million people willing to change their vote.

I think everyone just needs to start accepting this is the path we have chosen so we can start to sort out what we want from the negotiations

The petition was actually started a month before the vote but only gained traction post referendum.

As for the claim that so many people were misled or misinformed is generally in reference to one particular point to do with NHS funding. As far as I was aware it had already been debunked as incorrect BEFORE the vote. I hardly think there is 1 million people willing to change their vote.

I think everyone just needs to start accepting this is the path we have chosen so we can start to sort out what we want from the negotiations

Maybe if even more people call them stupid, more of them will change their minds. :rolleyes1

I am of Swedish ancestry (both my paternal great grandparents came here on a boat) and I hope and pray they vote to leave as well. It's not good there now.

I have NEVER understood what was hoped to be accomplished by the EU. Countries were CRAZY to join, IMO. But that's probably my American Independence talking ;)

Another thought, if there is something to compare to the American Revolution is that this may be more like what happened after. The Articles of Confederation were a mess, so this might be something like Virginia saying, "We're strong, so we aren't going to be part of these United States anymore and want to 'opt out'." Anti-Federalism was very strong in certain parts and so it wasn't USA first, state second like we are more used to now. People did not want Boston deciding what happened in Atlanta for example. Pragmatism vs a British army won out and the Founding Fathers despite the anti-Federalist sentiments found away to get 13 regions with their own "best interests" to come together even if it meant letting other regions get a vote on what happened in their states. Slavery or states rights depending on your POV remained contentious for decades, and recent events show the divisions are still there.

I think if a re vote were held today, the results would go the other way. Seems lots of people voted thinking the remain was goi g to win a fm they wanted to prove a point to government. Now that leave won, many are regretting that decision a do are just now actually educating themselves on what this actually means.
Dear US friends please don't believe everything you see in the media. The majority of people wanted to leave because we have knowledge of living under the EU umbrella and the effects on our country. We voted to leave. We are happy we are now planning to leave. Please don't insult us by believing that what a handful of people claim was a misguided vote is the feelings of MILLIONS of us. Neither should you believe it was the vote of the elderly. From the apprentice hairdressers at my local salon, to my postman, owners of their own companies, employees of international companies, with degrees, without degrees, from 19 to 90 - LEAVE was our choice. End of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter