BREXIT......How do you feel Brits? Excited??

I find it interesting that the closer to retirement age, the more likely to be in favor of the exit. I would think those would be the ones most interested in minimizing upheaval.

The old people were frightened by media demagogues.

The reality is Britain won't be any more sovereign or independent. They'll just be more isolated.

It's surprising to me that so many Americans are unhappy about this outcome. When it comes to the USA independence is a source of pride for so many. I think it's early days yet and people are nervous and that is why we seen the British pound falling. As time goes by I'm sure it will work out self out. I think this might be just the beginning and I'm sure that whenever someone goes first they're bound to get some flack. I Was just talking to my SIL who lives in Sweden and she says many of her friends and family members would like to get out of the EU. I honestly don't know a lot about it but according to her, in recent years, being a part of the EU has had a negative impact on the quality of life for Swedes. At one time homelessness was uncommon but very recently it has become very common. To the point that it is difficult to go anywhere without being stopped by a panhandler. I really couldn't tell you where the homeless came from or how they became homeless but it's something noticible that many believe is a result of being part of the EU. I wish our friends in the uk the best of luck.

It's surprising to me that so many Americans are unhappy about this outcome. When it comes to the USA independence is a source of pride for so many. I think it's early days yet and people are nervous and that is why we seen the British pound falling. As time goes by I'm sure it will work out self out. I think this might be just the beginning and I'm sure that whenever someone goes first they're bound to get some flack. I Was just talking to my SIL who lives in Sweden and she says many of her friends and family members would like to get out of the EU. I honestly don't know a lot about it but according to her, in recent years, being a part of the EU has had a negative impact on the quality of life for Swedes. At one time homelessness was uncommon but very recently it has become very common. To the point that it is difficult to go anywhere without being stopped by a panhandler. I really couldn't tell you where the homeless came from or how they became homeless but it's something noticible that many believe is a result of being part of the EU. I wish our friends in the uk the best of luck.
This American is all for sovereignty and I applaud the Brits for having the courage to vote to leave the EU. As I am not a Brit, I figured I'd just ask how they felt, not give my opinion, but I don't want you to think us Yanks aren't cheering you on. We are. Huzzah!!! Huzzah!!! Well done!

Everyone I know speaking about it is in support as well.

I say well done Britain!

13532951_1042660695818819_2322517560128132552_n.jpg

I Was just talking to my SIL who lives in Sweden and she says many of her friends and family members would like to get out of the EU. I honestly don't know a lot about it but according to her, in recent years, being a part of the EU has had a negative impact on the quality of life for Swedes.
I am of Swedish ancestry (both my paternal great grandparents came here on a boat) and I hope and pray they vote to leave as well. It's not good there now.

I have NEVER understood what was hoped to be accomplished by the EU. Countries were CRAZY to join, IMO. But that's probably my American Independence talking ;)

I am of Swedish ancestry (both my paternal great grandparents came here on a boat) and I hope and pray they vote to leave as well. It's not good there now.

I have NEVER understood what was hoped to be accomplished by the EU. Countries were CRAZY to join, IMO. But that's probably my American Independence talking ;)

American Independence and the Brexit are two very different entities. It is not the same when a country fights a war to gain independence from an occupying country versus holding a vote to exit from a union that they voluntarily joined. I am a very proud DAR... Daughter of the American Revolution... the lives lost long ago fighting for our freedom are not equal in scope to votes cast in a legal ballot.

I wish the UK luck in their decision to leave the EU. I wonder though how this will affect the U.K. as we know it...there are rumbles again regarding a United Ireland also wanting independence from Britain. I am thinking that Scotland and Ireland will use this opportunity to begin the process of exiting the U.K.

Last edited:
American Independence and the Brexit are two very different entities. It is not the same when a country fights a war to gain independence from an occupying country versus holding a vote to exit from a union that they voluntarily joined. I am a very proud DAR... Daughter of the American Revolution... the lives lost long ago fighting for our freedom are not equal in scope to votes cast in a legal ballot.
Of course an actual combat war is quite different than a ballot box vote, but in both cases you have people who do not represent your will telling you what to do, and finding a way clear of that. There's something to be said for buyers remorse, also. EU may have been presented one way and it has turned out to be quite another thing entirely. They did provide for countries to leave it if they so desired, and the Brits have chosen to go that route. Just expressing my support of them :)

I agree they are very different, but I think they are more similar than you are suggesting. We (US) were colonists, not a nation taken over by an occupying force. We were one of a coalition of colonies under the umbrella of England and we wanted to break away and establish our own independence. And while fighting a war for independence is drastically different than just casting a vote, that's simply because the results of an election wouldn't have been honored by England. Had they given us the option, I'm sure we would have just held an election.

The other thing is the group that the UK "voluntarily joined" was basically just an economic common market of 12 countries - back in the '70's. Without any further vote by the British people it morphed into a political union with 26 members, a European Parliament with the power to change UK laws, a European Supreme Court with the power to overrule UK courts - and UK immigration and agricultural policies that are dictated by a foreign entity.

That's why I see this more like gaining independence - even for those that are old enough to have voted to join the coalition back in the 70's.

Just sharing something from Facebook, posted by a friend from Northern Ireland. Every is saying about how Northern Ireland could unite with The Republic of Ireland to stay in EU.... BUT very few actually understand how fragile the peace process is

"To all those Leave voters telling me to "get over it " or "stop being dramatic" it's easier said than done for them who haven't even been in my country or had to deal with the day to day of living in a place picking up the tatters from a war. It affected us all directly. Now my country has become an even greyer area because of this. "

Everyones talking about all the political and economic consequences, but in Northern Ireland they are worried about the bombings and killings starting again.

Just sharing something from Facebook, posted by a friend from Northern Ireland. Every is saying about how Northern Ireland could unite with The Republic of Ireland to stay in EU.... BUT very few actually understand how fragile the peace process is

"To all those Leave voters telling me to "get over it " or "stop being dramatic" it's easier said than done for them who haven't even been in my country or had to deal with the day to day of living in a place picking up the tatters from a war. It affected us all directly. Now my country has become an even greyer area because of this. "

Everyones talking about all the political and economic consequences, but in Northern Ireland they are worried about the bombings and killings starting again.

I agree that a lot of people are being incredibly self-centered and tone deaf in their attitudes. Personally, I am keeping track of all who say "get over it, the people have spoken, fall in line," particularly in the USA, so I can remind them of those views after I suspect they will conveniently forget them on November 9th. I do think this was an important and very expensive reminder to people to not be complacent that I hope will carry through.

I agree that a lot of people are being incredibly self-centered and tone deaf in their attitudes. Personally, I am keeping track of all who say "get over it, the people have spoken, fall in line," particularly in the USA, so I can remind them of those views after I suspect they will conveniently forget them on November 9th. I do think this was an important and very expensive reminder to people to not be complacent that I hope will carry through.

They only feel that way because they have heard so much of it themselves over time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter