Breastfeeding in the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysonleah

Mouseketeer
Florida's breastfeeding law is "Anytime, Anyplace"

I listened to this weeks show and was saddened by Pete and the rest of the crew's ignorance and intolerance toward breastfeeding. *"what if I whip it out and urinate?". Last I checked, one is getting rid of an unsanitary waste product and the other is providing sustenance to one whose life depends on it, if he can show me the law that says it's legal for him to do so then I say "go ahead". *I guess Pete also goes along with "if we allow gays to marry, what's to stop me from marrying my dog?". Both are ridiculous statements. *I also found it interesting that the crew then jumped straight to talking about hate and intolerance in Muslim countries and how they don't feel like they should have to change because of where they are....what's wrong with this picture. *Finally, Pete then saying "this is just our opinion and we aren't judging" right after judging how women should breastfeed was a little forehead slapping moment. *I say this to Pete and the crew, it's the same thing I say to anyone who says they don't want to see 2 men/women kissing, if you don't want to see a woman breastfeeding DON'T LOOK

It's opinion, you really can't expect everyone to agree with you all the time.

Lot's of people disagree with me on lot's of different things, I have no issue with that. What they did was made me think of Austin Powers Goldmember when his dad says "There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.". They went from judging, to being hurt because they were being judged.

I know that Teresa, Julie and I understand breastfeeding and support it. I know I breastfeed my 3 kids. I don't know where you got the idea that the entire crew was against it.

I understand your vehemency with this subject.

I cant speak for anyone else, but I dont like dining in a noisy chaotic atmosphere. I've talked about this in several dining reviews.

And I understand that it's natural and all of that, but I find it difficult to believe that any woman is comfortable doing this in a huge crowd. No matter how natural it may be, people are going to look. People are naturally drawn to babies and people are naturally going to look at a woman taking her breast out of her clothes.

It's just my guess, that it's more comfortable for the mother and thereby more comfortable for the baby, to be relaxed. This was my only point. There are peaceful, quiet, less chaotic places to do this. I can only assume that it would be a better experience for both mother and child.

I even asked if women (or men) who are bottle feeding didnt prefer a quieter, less chaotic place when feeding a child and was told that it was , indeed preferable. Julie even explained that if Finley gets distracted, she stops eating.

As for comparing people's views on breast feeding to the way women, Jews and gay people are treated in Muslim countries and denying gay people the right to marry....well, I feel that's just hyperbole.

No one's been threatened with death by stoning or been denied their right to legally bond with someone they love because they were breast feeding.

If I'm wrong on that last part, let me know and I'll apologize.

I think it's great you breastfed your kids, honestly. I don't think any of you are "against" breastfeeding. I just didn't hear anyone speak up when Pete equated it to urinating in the street or anyone tell him not to look if he didn't want to see it.

I think it's great you breastfed your kids, honestly. I don't think any of you are "against" breastfeeding. I just didn't hear anyone speak up when Pete equated it to urinating in the street or anyone tell him not to look if he didn't want to see it.

No one's told you what to think either.

You are allowed to disagree with anything that's said and you are welcome to express your disagreement.

My issue is that you lumped 7 people into one opinion and I was explaining my point of view....which is certainly different than what you described in the original post.

Kevin,
My point was intended to come across as hyperbole, so the ridiculousness of comparing breastfeeding to urinating in public could be seen. Although if a woman in a Muslim country were to expose her breast in public to breastfeed, what do you suppose would happen to her.

My kids also prefer to eat quietly, however if there is not a quiet place to "eat" they still will power through (although taking longer) and my wife (yep, I'm a dude) shouldn't have to put up with snide comments and rude looks because of it.

I must say I'm a little surprised at your post and your email.

I thought we were all very supportive of this - and were offering suggestions and help to the person who asked the question. Perhaps our conversation didn't come across that way.

Now I can't speak for Pete but I thought his comment was a joke.

I'm glad you posted your opinion of that segment but I think our message was misconstrued.

Did anyone else feels the same way about our discussion of this topic?

Also, we didn't go "straight" into talking about Egypt - it was a new email and a new discussion.

I must say I'm a little surprised at your post and your email.

I thought we were all very supportive of this - and were offering suggestions and help to the person who asked the question. Perhaps our conversation didn't come across that way.

Now I can't speak for Pete but I thought his comment was a joke.

I'm glad you posted your opinion of that segment but I think our message was misconstrued.

Did anyone else feels the same way about our discussion of this topic?

Also, we didn't go "straight" into talking about Egypt - it was a new email and a new discussion.

I have been listening to the podcast for over 3 years now and while I have not always agreed with everything Pete, or the others, have said, I absolutely had no problem with Pete's comments on this issue. In fact, I totally agreed on everything he said.

Why some people feel the need to come here and post such negativity is beyond me. :confused3 Like I said, I have not always agreed with the Podcast Team, but I never come "into their house" and get confrontational [calling them ignorant and intolerant]. If you don't like what the Podcast Team says . . . unsubscribe!

I just listened to this part of the show and found absolutely nothing offensive. Everyone has a right to their opinion and although I do not have children (other than my 56 fifth graders - teacher here), I do have friends who breastfeed theirs. I also have some that bottle-feed.

I have no issue with women breastfeeding their children. However, I agree that they should be somewhat modest in doing so. I have been in Pete's shoes before. I was walking in the mall and a woman was not making even the slightest attempt to cover herself up while feeding her child. That made me uncomfortable and I felt it was not appropriate. In my opinion, I feel that a blanket or other covering should be used so that everyone is comfortable - the baby, mother, and those walking by. Yes, passersby could not look, but at that point we would have already looked, so what is the point?

Breastfeeding is a hot topic. It is something that will be debated on message board forums and in public forums forever. I do not think it is a bad thing. I support it, but feel that it should be done in a way to make everyone comfortable. If you are in public, you need to act appropriately. Exposing yourself in public is not acting that way.

I did not feel that the crew jumped into the Muslim conversation or that it had even the slightest connection to the one on breastfeeding. I can't understand how you interpreted them to be interconnected. Similarly, Pete's commenting that it was "just his opinion" was a standard statement that, unfortunately, radio and TV personalities have to make now-a-days because people are so quick to get fired up over someone's opinion.

Are we talking about this week's show? I don't remember any of this conversation? Breastfeeding or Muslims? :confused3

As a mother of two I've been in the same situation regarding breastfeeding in public. Sometimes my baby would just wake up and start screaming so I had to act fast. I absolutely agree with the point that moms should be able to feed their babies anywhere but I also agree that it should be done with some modesty. I had a nursing cover and when it was way too hot to use it I still covered myself with my shirt. There's a way that breastfeeding can be done wherever you are without exposing your breast to onlookers. I personally wouldn't want to do that anyway!

However, I completely disagree with the statement that a woman who breastfeeds without covering up is the same as urinating in public. Although I don't agree with those moms who nurse without covering up, it is night and day from public urination. One is illegal in most states and the other is the basic human right to feed your child when they're hungry. And even though I'm sure the majority of moms will try to find a quiet, secluded spot, sometimes with a screaming child it's just not possible.

I know that Teresa, Julie and I understand breastfeeding and support it. I know I breastfeed my 3 kids. I don't know where you got the idea that the entire crew was against it.

Um, you do mean that in the past tense, right Kathy? :rotfl:

I'm on the same page as you, mjaclyn. I've breastfed three children, and I do believe that modesty is the best policy. I always did the best I could to cover up. Whether that be a nursing cover or a sweater or a dinner napkin. There was never enough skin showing to offend anyone, unless they had their faces all up in my business.

I almost didn't comment here because I haven't yet heard the show yet. But I wanted to chime in that I do agree with what Kevin said, moms would be more comfortable in a space that is quiet and less distracting. But sometimes, unfortunately, there is no place. Especially if you have other children with you. And sometimes, the only place in a restaurant or store is the bathroom. And no way, would I ever feed my child in the toilet. I don't think anyone wants to have their dinner there, do they?

Unless a woman is trying, purposely, to make some sort of statement, there's really no reason to be exposing themselves enough to draw attention. If she's showing off that much then she's trying to stir people up.

My only issue is the comparision made to urinating in public. Totally not the same thing. Bad joke, I think, that is all.

deb

Oh boy...

I am only commenting on the breastfeeding issue. It's this simple, you can breast feed whenever and whereever you like, just stay covered, please. Breast feeding or not, I just don't want to see your breasts, period. Do you want to see mine? :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter