Breastfeeding an older baby at WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disneyrsh said:
I have no intellectual justification for not breastfeeding a child (as opposed to a baby), but if the kid is old enough to ask you for your breast, then it just seems like it's time to explore other food choices.
with that!

LOL, we taught our dd (now 3) sign language. She was able to ask for milk from about nine months old. Yipes, now that would have been early weaning! :p A lot of this is just culture. We just weren't raised with toddlers nursing. But, it really is GOOD for them. They receive so much more than food. It helps them with comfort, and their little immune system. My most secure, sweet tempered child was the one that was nursed the longest. Maybe just a coincidence....

I was going to say, also, that my guy could say "milk" and point at me starting at about 10 months - way too early for us to even consider weaning. So, while the situation you described at the mall is very unusual, there's no reason to wean a baby just because he or she can "ask for it".

Anyway, I hate that his has become another debate, and I don't want to get sucked into that again - so I really hope that the op has been reassured and feel good about nursing her baby (and a 15 month old is still a baby in my book) at Disney.

Every mom makes the choices she feels best for her baby, her body, and her family. I may not agree with the choices other moms make, and I might not make them for myself and my family, but I respect their right to make those decisions - and I hope they respect my choice to nurse my active 27 month old at home in private or anywhere else we please, including Disney World.

gepetto said:
you're kidding, right? :earseek: your 3 year old nurses her stuffed animals? that might be frowned on in pre-school.

No, I am not kidding. We do not use bottles in our house, so she is feeding them how she knows to feed. She has done it in school, and the teacher thought she was cute. And smart!

There are some bottles in school, and one day she showed it to me. Then she said, "No. Yucky. Babies have Boos (our code word)!!!" It is just what she knows.

HLAuburn said:
Slightly off-topic, but I'm wondering if you extended nursers still use nursing bras. I hate them, and I've never used one when going out, but taking your straps off your shoulder is a pain, too. If DD is still nursing when we go to Disney, I'd like to have as "easy access" as possible. ;) Just curious...

I still use nursing bras when I know I am going to NIP. It's easier for me. Quicker access and less skin to show with a wriggly toddler.

Maybe it's a mall thing (and the displays) I recently saw a woman on a bench in the mall with two daughters standing in front of the bench both holding up her shirt for a feed...I can't say what age the daughters were but my daughter is 2 1/2 and tall for her age but both these girls were taller than her.

I could see how it would be a shocking show to those who are not used to it!

I nursed DD at 15mos at Disney on her first trip and had no problems, we ususally nursed in quiet rides or the kid care centers. DS was 13mos and we did much of the same things. The only difference was with DD we went in Aug and I had to make sure to keep up my fluids.

Hi All,

I stumbled across your debate this morning and have a question. In no way, shape, or form am I trying to start another flaming, but saw something on Discovery or Discovery Health channel about a year ago and I always wondered about it.

The report stated that women actually fulfill some type of inner "desire" by breastfeeding and that it satisfied their needs. Is this true or just some misinformed report?

*NikkiBell* said:
Hi All,

I stumbled across your debate this morning and have a question. In no way, shape, or form am I trying to start another flaming, but saw something on Discovery or Discovery Health channel about a year ago and I always wondered about it.

The report stated that women actually fulfill some type of inner "desire" by breastfeeding and that it satisfied their needs. Is this true or just some misinformed report?

Yes, the inner desire is the desire to give to your children what's best. There is absolutely no dispute that breastmilk is far more superior to anything else that you could give your child. In fact, I remember reading somewhere that formula is actually the #4 choice, with donated breastmilk being #2 (can't remember right now what was #3).

Anyway, I breastfed my youngest until he was 4 years, 2 months old. I also nursed him at WDW when he was around 15 months old. The nursing rooms at WDW were very nice. Especially the one at AK. Otherwise I just sat on a quiet bench and nursed. I also nursed at all the shows.

I can't believe some of the rude/ignorant comments on this thread. Maybe when our daughters have children, socieity won't have a problem with breastfeeding. When my oldest dd was born (1987), I was actually encouraged NOT to bf her. I did, even though I had no support from anyone besides dh. So, it seems in 2005 that the US is getting a bit more knowledgeable and accepting about bf.

OK, so to the OP: you bf your baby wherever you want. Just ignore the rude comments and looks. What you are giving your baby is the best thing.

Mary

I'm a fan of breastfeeding to a certain age. When an almost 3 year old can climb up on your lap and open your shirt.....it's time for a change. And like the other poster said, it sounds like an issue for mom to still be feeding at that age. Kids that age don't NEED to still be breastfeeding....mom does! Seeing this in the parks is just wrong. Show some discretion!!! Older children...especially boys, don't need to see you whip it out...and there are alot of moms that do just that!! I'm not taking away your RIGHT to breastfeed.....but don't take away my right to not let my 10 year old boy look at your breasts!!

I agree diff strokes for diff folks. with my 1st I promised MIL that I'd nurse till 6 months. And when I nurse him I did it somewhere private. I started weaning him so the day he turned 6 months he was done. I hated it, You cant go anywhere without pumping a fridge full of milk, noone else can fed the baby, and you always have to leave the party to feed. I did'nt do it for the other 2, I felt odd thinking about nursing dd. I have friends who nurse 3 & 4 yo's great for them. All I ask is that my kids 10,8,7 dont have another Janet Jackson show. My kids have know idea about breastfeeding. DD saw it in a magazine and asked what mom was doing. I told her but she thinks its gross. And that s great. BF if you want but please dont just whip it out for the world to see.

I honestly can't think of anything to say that wouldn't get me in trouble here, so I'll just let it go.

And, I'll warn you that I will be there in December with my 30 month old, who may well still be nursing. And, if he is, and if he wants, we will nurse anywhere we happen to be. There will be no peep show. There will be nothing to see. We also won't be hiding in the dark, under a blanket, etc. If your child sees us (and they won't see anything much, I promise) and you don't feel you can explain it, well, that's a shame for your kids, but I'm certainly not going to loose any sleep over it. :confused3

And, to those of you who say there's no benefit in nursing an older baby or toddler, I will tell you that my son's neonatologist (one of the top in the country) definately disagrees with you, as do the rest of his medical team. So, where is your medical degree from? If you don't want to do it, fine, don't do it. But don't go around saying there are no benefits, because that's just plain incorrect information. There are huge health benefits (for mom and little one) and enormous emotional benefits as well. It's not "wrong" or "weird" or "strange" or "sick" or anything else. It's just, sadly, not what you're used to seeing. Just a different way of parenting, that's all.

And, now, I'm done with this thread before I get myself in trouble, because I was trying to be really nice and friendly. :rolleyes:

alicenwonder99 said:
Yes, the inner desire is the desire to give to your children what's best. There is absolutely no dispute that breastmilk is far more superior to anything else that you could give your child. In fact, I remember reading somewhere that formula is actually the #4 choice, with donated breastmilk being #2 (can't remember right now what was #3).
Wow - so if one chooses to formula feed they do not have the inner desire to give their children what is best - let's not forget what goes in the mothers body also goes in the childs so in some cases breast milk is not the best choice.

:sad2:

I think the comments are now getting out of hand and condescending to those who do not breast feed. There is nothing superior about breast feeding moms rather than formula feeding moms....we are all moms and should be in this together.

alicenwonder99 said:
In fact, I remember reading somewhere that formula is actually the #4 choice, with donated breastmilk being #2 (can't remember right now what was #3).

For baby feeding, the World Health Organization gives the guidelines that breastmilk straight from the tap is number one, pumped milk is number 2, donated milk is number 3, and formula is number 4.

I'm with Gem. I am going to keep my mouth shut because the ignorance in this thread is sickening. I have been nursing for the last 3.5 years and I know what I am doing for my babies. Like I said before, I do not care how you feed your babies, but do not ask me to move, cover up or hide. Do not establish age limits for me. (BTW, the American Academy of Pediatrics now recommends extend nursing.) We are mammals; breasts are for feeding. That doesn't mean we cannot use them for other things, but first and foremost, they are for feeding.

I highly recommend reading So that's what they're for byt Janet Tamaro. It is a great read.

And for those of you worried about your boys, tell them what breasts are for. We are show ignorance through fear of the unknown. Knowledge is power. Tell them not to look if it is a really big issue for you. And keep them locked up in the house during the summer because they will see t-shirts that expose more breast and belly than most breastfeeding women expose during feeding. :rolleyes: :badpc: :rolleyes:

i feel sorry for thoes mom's that have to be all engourged and in pain in the breasts after child birth just because they don't want to feed their baby the way they were ment to...

Actually, I never nursed my kids and never had that problem. Why would you feel sorry for me?

I do not appreciate seeing anyone nursing in public. If breasts were meant to be exposed why is it illegal to go topless? Bottles are meant for feeding and they are allowed to be seen in public. If a mom wishes to breastfeed that is her choice, but I don't think others should have to see it, that is why there are baby care centers at Disney.

OK. I can't help it. I know I said I wouldn't . . .

Are you for real???

BREASTS are meant for feeding and it is "allowed" in public!! In fact, in Florida and many other states, there is legislation that explicitly protects a mother's right to breastfeed in any public place. What's NOT "allowed" is to ask a mother to move, cover up, etc.

So, what if I said that I don't "appreciate" seeing mothers feeding formula in public, and I don't want my son to see it because he won't understand and I don't want to explain it. Are you prepared to go hide somewhere every time your baby needs a bottle? Of course not, and I wouldn't expect or want you to. I'd be much happier for you to sit down next to me on the bench while you feed your baby your way and I feed mine my way. I'm sure I'd enjoy chatting with you about your trip, etc.

OK. Seriously. I'm done now. There's no point.

You know some body parts offend you, others are offended by speedos, and shorts showing cheeks saying "Cheerleader." If you don't like it don't look.

I think one point to consider - just because so many do it and that is what they consider their breasts main function does not mean everyone enjoys seeing it....I think it makes many people uncomfortable, because they are used to it or whatever the reason is. I know it isn't the breastfeeding mother's concern what others think but some people are simply opposed to breast feeding in public.

Their thoughts, choices etc do not make them wrong, ignorant or stupid. It is simply their opinion. Some people don't like seeing overweight people in speedos or bikinis...

My grandson who was 2 1/2 when his brother was born thought it was pretty cool that mommy fed his brother by breast feeding. In fact he had this GI Joe doll that was "his daddy" who was in Iraq at the time and he constantly would pretend to nurse his GI Joe doll..we all thought it was pretty cute. Breast feeding is a natural thing, no one should be made to feel uncomfortable about it, and there is nothinkg wronge with other children being exposed to it, let's face it now days children are exposed to some pretty nasty stuff out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter