Breaking News, Monorails at WDW collide

Oh my, what horrible news to wake up to! My prayers go out to the drivers family, as well as anyone injured or involved!

We are at the WLV right now and this story is all the buzz here. Everyone is asking the same questions - how could this have happened? What went wrong? It is all over the news and is terribly sad. Word is that the EPCOT monorails will be down today, and possibly all of the monorails. I will update if I hear anything more. Thoughts and prayers to all involved, especially the family of the driver who died.

UPDATE: They are reporting that "5-6 guests" were on board at the time of the collision and were helped out of the crashed monorail, none injured.

I honestly do not understand how that could have happened. I thought that they had sensors, etc. to time when one train comes in and the other leaves.

I honestly do not understand how that could have happened. I thought that they had sensors, etc. to time when one train comes in and the other leaves.

They have a number of sensors to make the monorails maintain a specific distance from each other. There must have been a number of saftey things not click to allow it to collide.

My sympathies go to the family, friends and fellow cast members at the cast members death. So very sad.

Being that the accident happened at 2am, it's always possible that the driver fell asleep. I'm sure it was a long day. Nonetheless, it is a horrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and the Disney family :(

This is very sad news. My prayers and thoughts are with the people involved.

How tragic. Our prayers go to the family and friends of the driver. Pixie dust to all the others on the trains.

Terrible tragedy lets just be thankful the monorails were not packed with people like they usually are. I am sure we will hear how this all happened be it mechanical failure of human error, either way makes for a tragic 4th. at Disney

My heart goes out to the family of the CM that died and all of the CM's Disney family as well.

WOW,

We just rode on the pink monorail in the front all the way around the MK loop a few days ago (Sunday June 28th). They only can fit four up there with the driver, so a few of use rode in the car directly behind the cockpit. The emergency hatch fell open and almost on my head and several of us tried to push it back up to lock it back in place but it would not stay. We told a castmember at one of the hotel stops and they had all of us move out of that car when she could not get it to close either.

More importantly the brakes did feel odd when coming into the resorts. They did not feel smooth and always jerked a great deal on and off. Even another guy next to me commented to his friends that it felt like it needed to be serviced. Could be nothing, but as many times as I have ridden these, it did feel odd, every time we would come into a resort and brake.

Steve

This is simply aweful. Hope they can soon determine the cause, and implement any necessary system improvements to prevent this from ever happening again.

Very sad! One of the news stations said that someone tweeted at about 9 0r 10 saying that one of the monorails was being temperamental.

They have a number of sensors to make the monorails maintain a specific distance from each other. There must have been a number of saftey things not click to allow it to collide.

My sympathies go to the family, friends and fellow cast members at the cast members death. So very sad.

Being that the accident happened at 2am, it's always possible that the driver fell asleep. I'm sure it was a long day. Nonetheless, it is a horrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and the Disney family :(

Terrible tragedy lets just be thankful the monorails were not packed with people like they usually are. I am sure we will hear how this all happened be it mechanical failure of human error, either way makes for a tragic 4th. at Disney

My bolds.

I'm going to post the link to the other thread that's talking about this since I've posted on that one already, but to summarize, I am an amtrak crash survivor, and I pay attention to trains.

The fact that this happened means that Disney has failed FUNDAMENTALLY in providing proper maintence and safety for the monorail system.

Why? Because the drivers are the first line of defense, but there are second and third lines that are in place that also failed. (read the other thread)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2221105

Failed because maybe Disney hasn't been paying close attention to their second and third lines (maybe because they cost money) and has dropped to one line of defense...

I don't understand either Nikki...and to be coming into a station fast enough to have the impact to kill the driver? I just can't believe it. It's heartbreaking to see the video. No one could get to that poor driver. My heart goes out to his family.

WOW,

We just rode on the pink monorail in the front all the way around the MK loop a few days ago (Sunday June 28th). They only can fit four up there with the driver, so a few of use rode in the car directly behind the cockpit. The emergency hatch fell open and almost on my head and several of us tried to push it back up to lock it back in place but it would not stay. We told a castmember at one of the hotel stops and they had all of us move out of that car when she could not get it to close either.

More importantly the brakes did feel odd when coming into the resorts. They did not feel smooth and always jerked a great deal on and off. Even another guy next to me commented to his friends that it felt like it needed to be serviced. Could be nothing, but as many times as I have ridden these, it did feel odd, every time we would come into a resort and brake.

Steve

I can say the same thing. Last weekend we went to see the preview of the Hall of Presidents and rode the pink monorail and the brakes were very choppy. My wife and I commented several times that it didn't feel right and it was actually a little unsettling. The monorail also had to stop several times during the loop and we got the "waiting for further traffic clearance" announcement over and over.

I feel sick over this. I feel for the family of the CM and we were actually there last night to see the fireworks for the 4th. We parked at EPCOT, took the monorail to MK, watched the MK fireworks, then took the monorail back to EPCOT to watch those. We left just before 11 pm, a few hours before the accident.

This whole thing is awful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter