breaking expensive stuff at disney

All these years and I have never thought of the fact that the store owner would have to have some sort of insurance. Interesting, but I would like to know what Florida's laws are.

This happened to us last year on the Ocean City boardwalk in the Christmas store. My daughter knocked off a figurine and broke the head off. They had a clear 'you break it you bought it' policy posted, so we brought it up to the counter and told them what happened. They asked us to pay, but only their cost, less than half price. I glued the head back on and gave it to my mom for Christmas, so it worked out. We told our DD to next time break something we liked!:lmao:

We know this store! (The one near the Polish Water Ice - yum! and Monkey Bread stands?) They do have those "break it you buy it" signs up ALL over that store! They have pretty things, but I'm always on edge when in there - it's tough to get through the packed aisles alone, but dragging the kids by the hand so they don't touch anything is super-stressful! (Mostly, I leave the kids with DH on the boardwalk and just race through the store to take a quick look - results in not buying anything!)

Interesting...from reading the other posts, I wonder what the laws are in NJ about this policy? I know businesses have to protect themselves, but...

Funny that I just saw this post. When we were at the World of Disney store back in July we saw a lady drop a tea pitcher and it of course broke. The CM's were immediate on cleaning it up, but the lady was even faster getting out of the store. I made sure that my kids 22 and 13 were not near so they wouldn't get blamed for it, since the lady had disappeared.

I posted this story a year or so ago, but it fits here and was so funny at the time. I was in the store in Epcot to the right, just as you enter World Showcase from Future World (forgot the name:upsidedow ). Anyway, I was in line to check out, when this lady came barreling into the store via the side door on an ECV and ran into the end of the metal rack, right in front of the door. She was laughing, but so apologetic. You could tell she was embarrassed and had no idea how to drive that ECV and for some reason had it on the high speed (rabbit) instead of slow (turtle). Now don't get me wrong, this is nothing about people who use ECVs. My mom uses one down there, but this lady just had no idea how to drive one (or apparently how to slow one down:rolleyes1 ). We all sort of leaped to the side to avoid her. She rather loudly said, that she better get out of there with the ECV before she hit anything else, but instead of backing out that side door she had just come through, decided to go out the front door of the store. There was a large table with those glass Mickey head wine glasses, shot glasses, and tumblers stacked on it. At the same time me, the couple in front of me, and the store clerk behind the counter yelled no, but it was too late. Yes, she sent everyone of those glasses flying. She was fine, but I don't think there was a single glass left. I don't know if it was just embarrassment or what, but she immediately got irate at the store clerks and demanded to know why they had put those glasses there in front of the door, just so somebody could knock them over. She then continued to complain as she finally got her ECV out of the store. I guess it never even crossed her mind to offer to pay for the glasses she broke. Everyone was just shaking their heads as the CMs asked if everyone was OK. The CM behind the cash register, just laughed and said she had seen it coming as soon as the lady came through the door.

it's one thing if it's a child's mistake or an honest accident, but this is something else! No wonder prices at Disney need to be on the high end. I commend the CMs and Disney for caring about the safety of their customers before any delicate merchandise, and I enjoyed reading those stories... but this lady above who knocked over the entire shelf of glass products and left without so much as an apology is shocking. What an outrage; that's not a very Disney way to behave.
:surfweb:

I posted this story a year or so ago, but it fits here and was so funny at the time. I was in the store in Epcot to the right, just as you enter World Showcase from Future World (forgot the name:upsidedow ). Anyway, I was in line to check out, when this lady came barreling into the store via the side door on an ECV and ran into the end of the metal rack, right in front of the door. She was laughing, but so apologetic. You could tell she was embarrassed and had no idea how to drive that ECV and for some reason had it on the high speed (rabbit) instead of slow (turtle). Now don't get me wrong, this is nothing about people who use ECVs. My mom uses one down there, but this lady just had no idea how to drive one (or apparently how to slow one down:rolleyes1 ). We all sort of leaped to the side to avoid her. She rather loudly said, that she better get out of there with the ECV before she hit anything else, but instead of backing out that side door she had just come through, decided to go out the front door of the store. There was a large table with those glass Mickey head wine glasses, shot glasses, and tumblers stacked on it. At the same time me, the couple in front of me, and the store clerk behind the counter yelled no, but it was too late. Yes, she sent everyone of those glasses flying. She was fine, but I don't think there was a single glass left. I don't know if it was just embarrassment or what, but she immediately got irate at the store clerks and demanded to know why they had put those glasses there in front of the door, just so somebody could knock them over. She then continued to complain as she finally got her ECV out of the store. I guess it never even crossed her mind to offer to pay for the glasses she broke. Everyone was just shaking their heads as the CMs asked if everyone was OK. The CM behind the cash register, just laughed and said she had seen it coming as soon as the lady came through the door.

Hilarious!:thumbsup2 Well written, too; :wizard: excellent dramatic buildup and payoff!

I didn't read through all the posts, but to answer OP, that is one reason stores have insurance. They claim broken items against their insurance or even return them to the vendors.

With that being said. We went to San Francisco one time, our twins were 5 months old. Not old enough to walk but old enough to reach out and grab things. We went into a store, I was up at the register paying for items and Dh was behind me a ways with the twins in a stroller. As I'm paying, the clerk asks if that is all, then I hear a loud CRASH as I'm saying "yessssss...oh, and I'll also take whatever THAT was". It was just a coffee mug that got struck by a flailing 5-month old arm, but I didn't need to pay for it. :thumbsup2

All these years and I have never thought of the fact that the store owner would have to have some sort of insurance. Interesting, but I would like to know what Florida's laws are.

Absolutely, business insurance covers lots of things...damage, even theft.

Sooooooooooo funny! I am picturing just about everything i put on a ledge in the bathroom going in.

At Nordstrom's last year DD7 dropped a ten minute old Webkinz dog in after insisting that she was a big kid now and there's no way anything could possibly happen.
I was so embrassed as I stood there looking down at it and debating whether to pull it out or leave it sit. Lots of witnesses too, darn it.:rolleyes1
Eventually it was removed but no way was I gonna let her have it back. After the "i told you so" talk we bought her another before leaving the mall.
Mama's always right, don'tcha know. Psychic too, if you ask my kids. Lesson learned - now she hands me everything to hold...

DD picked up and then accidentally dropped something in Mexico a few years ago. I offered to pay for it (around $50 I believe) and they refused to let me pay. I felt so bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter