Breaking Down The Show Breakdowns

lugnut33

DIS Veteran
OK, it's been several months now that each weekly show of The Dis Podcast has been broken down into separate shows for "easy" downloading. Well, I can't say I'm a big fan of it, I preferred when it was all just one big show.

What I don't care for is having to download 4 or 5 different segments (I know, it's not hard to hard right click and save each segment and I'm being lazy), and then when they go into my MP3 player they show up there in random order. Sometimes the "news and rapidfire" ends up last, imagine the horror <sarcasm>.

I realize it's just a minor inconvenience and I still love the show. I just preferred the long marathon show.

I do agree with keeping the Disneyland segment separate.

Just my opinion.

I have to agree. I understand why they are broken up, but I liked one long show too. It flowed better...just MHO as well. The segments might be better with out the intro and music every time though.

I kinda like the new format. There are some segments I don't download. Although, I think they should introduce themselves just on the housekeeping segment and not on every segment. We know who everyone is by housekeeping.

Maybe it is the order they download into my device or maybe I am choosing incorrectly. Often I hear Pete or someone describe what the segments will be and I have already listened to those topics.
I would be very happy without jangly intro outro music. I find it harsh to my ears, but that is my personal preference. I fast forward through it.
I understand separating the show in case someone wants to skip a segment they would not be interested in. Me? I listen to all the segments, even when it is not something I am interested in. Who knows, it might become a new interest for me.

I miss the one long show, too. I find myself actually listening less because it seems like more of an undertaking.

In the past, there may have been segments I didn't think I would be interested in, but I would listen to the whole show anyhow and would either end up learning something from it or just enjoying the team's discussion. Now if there's a topic I don't think I'll be interested in, I end up not listening to it all. I realize this was the intention, but I do feel like I'm missing out on something, I just don't have the time to find out.

There was another Disney podcast that I used to listen to (I use past tense because he's no longer recording shows), and he would make one downloadable show but break it up into chapters. That way the listener could just hit FF to skip ahead to the next chapter if they weren't interested in the topic. With that he also didn't have to give a recap of every other segment within each chapter. I think that would make things a LOT easier for the listeners of the DIS - if Pete wanted to keep the show segmented.

Mostly because I would listen to everything on each chapter anyway and that I have a heck of a time trying to download each. For some reason I can only get one or two each day and then have to figure out how to find the others. I know this is because of my technological inadequacies and not the Dis' or of Itunes' but it does become a chore that in the end is well worth it!

I actually prefer the shorter segments. It helps me break the podcast into certain tasks (I will force myself to clean while listening to housekeeping, I can drive to x in 30 minutes, perfect time to listen to one segment). I really don't think it matters what order you listen to them in - though housekeeping is always first! Also, my itunes automatically d/l them all, but I have no idea how I got it to do that!

Honestly, I have no preference to either. I always listened to the long show, and now that they are broken up, I find it easier to re-listen to a segment that I liked....it doesn't matter to me either way.

I really like the "chapter" idea!

I think these are called enhanced podcasts. I would put my vote in for that idea. I prefer the long show but having it in chapters would allow those that like the shorter segments to listen to only those they wanted to or in the order they wanted to.

I'm another fan of the long show. I find that I'm missing segments and I have to go back to iTunes and download again.

I prefer the long show, too. Somehow, the iTunes feed always switches the order of the podcasts, and I forget which ones I've listened to, which ones got stuck downloading half way through, etc.

I prefer the short shows since they are small enough for me to be able to download on my iPhone without a WiFi connection. I do not like the fact that you have to listen to the open/closing music plus a full intro every time. I think just opening with "Welcome to part 2 of today's podcast" would work fine.

I for one do not listen to all the segments every week, so I appreciate the separation, but I like the chapters idea very much too. I have been listening on my iPad since Christmas and for some reason itunes is very difficult on my iPad and it takes me several tries to get things downloaded, so one show would be a lot simpler to keep up with!

I do have to put in a :thumbsup2 for the theme music though - my toddler dances to it every time, so more theme music is fine in our house :dance3:

I, too, prefer the long show. It's just easier in the scheme of things to have one show. I always listen to everything WDW related, though I do admit that I rarely listen to the DL shows. I've never been, so just don't relate as much. I understand the reasoning behind having separate segments, and I appreciate the effort that goes into it either way, but personally I would rather the format return to the combined show. :)

I have to admit, I find myself listening less to the individual segment shows than I did the marathon form. I know it sounds odd, but in the past I would just put the show on (I listen at work) and let it go. If there was a segment I wasn't interested in, well, I'd listen anyway. Now that I have to download individually (can't have my iTunes account do it for me on the work computer), if I see something and think "Ehn, that doesn't sound so interesting to me", I don't bother with it. :blush:

Of course, I suppose that's the point of doing separate shows - so that people can only listen to what they're interested in - but I do miss the flow of the banter and running jokes and such. I think chapters would be a good idea, if it was practical to do them.

In any case, I'll keep listening either way. Just might not do as well on the quiz at the end, I guess. :lmao:

I was a loyal listener for almost 4 years.....never missed an episode....but since this switch I can't count one time I have listened to an entire week's worth of content. I get confused trying to decipher what order to listen now and the jumble of shows just turns me off.

I vote for one show please! So much nicer and the flow is great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter