Breakfast??

I'm hoping for a return trip to celebrate a big zero birthday next year :cheer2:

I am looking forward to having a look about AoA but for me the free Quick Service dining plan makes a moderate much better value. I love Port Orleans French Quarter because it is small, intimate and rooms are close to buses, food court and boats. Each Disney hotel has it's own special magic pixiedust:

I usually take along 2 picky parents, 1 with a Garlic allergy but we manage to find food often and don't usually have too many table service meals. There are some great counter service options even for picky eaters and.

Ultimately, the choice is yours and I would never tell you what to do because that is not my call, but I think you need to read a little more about each of the resorts so that you can be clear about what each can offer you.

From a purely financial perspective, $200 is £130 of free spending money. But it's not just a financial decision. Caribbean Beach is just as much fun as Art of Animation and has better facilities which is why it is a moderate level hotel not a value.

There are no "vouchers" you have meal credits attached to your card which also serves as your tickets and your room key. I think you will be surprised by the meals and I'm sure your son will enjoy the food. WDW is not like DLP AT ALL. I can't stress that enough. People think that they are the same and that WDW will just be like a big DLP and that's not the case. DLP isn't even owned and operated by Disney, it's a completely different experience.

I like Art of Animation, but in your position, I would definitely consider the step up to a moderate. Caribbean Beach is the cheapest, but you may prefer Coronado Springs or one of the Port Orleans resorts. My suggestion would be for you to gather some more information about the resorts so that you know more about the differences between resorts. It really isn't just £101 more for the gift card, it's £101 more for a better hotel, bigger room, more facilities, a gift card and often less crowded transportation services.

Looking at what the OP has priced up isn't AOA coming up cheaper anyways even with her paying dining? And would she still get the free 200 gift card as it comes with every booking not just mods?
Or am I missing something? I stayed at AOA in a LM room with my 3 boys last yr and they LOVED it!!! Way better then CBR the pools even though they don't have a slide are amazing, as is the splash pad, the cars section to walk around at night was wonderful and ever after doing SSR for 16 nights with the fab pools that are there the boys asked to go back to AOA! It really is a fun resort if that's what the OP is after,

I totally agree with you on getting the DP wether it be the QS or the regular I mean if AOA was coming up way more with having to pay for the DP then I'd say def go with a mod but if its coming up the same or cheaper then AOA might be great fun.
Personally with it being a 1st time I would factor in paying for the actual DDP to get in some character meals!! We all know how expensive these can add up to and how our kids love to do them, so depending on what the OP wants to do food wise on the trip and what they want to experience I'd factor in this when it comes to spending money, as food ate up a good £££s when we went without the plan on our 1st on site trip.

Looking at what the OP has priced up isn't AOA coming up cheaper anyways even with her paying dining? And would she still get the free 200 gift card as it comes with every booking not just mods?
Or am I missing something?

The AoA quote doesnt include dining and you dont get the $200 gift card with the value resorts. :goodvibes

Or am I missing something? I stayed at AOA in a LM room with my 3 boys last yr and they LOVED it!!! Way better then CBR the pools even though they don't have a slide are amazing, as is the splash pad, the cars section to walk around at night was wonderful and ever after doing SSR for 16 nights with the fab pools that are there the boys asked to go back to AOA! It really is a fun resort if that's what the OP is after,

I totally agree with you on getting the DP wether it be the QS or the regular I mean if AOA was coming up way more with having to pay for the DP then I'd say def go with a mod but if its coming up the same or cheaper then AOA might be great fun.
Personally with it being a 1st time I would factor in paying for the actual DDP to get in some character meals!! We all know how expensive these can add up to and how our kids love to do them, so depending on what the OP wants to do food wise on the trip and what they want to experience I'd factor in this when it comes to spending money, as food ate up a good £££s when we went without the plan on our 1st on site trip.

I'm not taking anything away from AoA because the theming is great especially for kids, but when you're talking about a price difference of £100, I think one of the moderates offers a lot more. There is no reason why the OP couldn't visit AoA to see all the theming over there or eat over there if they wanted to do so, but the standard of accommodation and the facilities overall are better in the mods than the values. I don't know if the gift card is included with the values resorts or not, but the OP said that it is not included with AoA which would equate to more than the £100 extra.

I just feel that the OP needs to really consider the options and what each one offers. Transportation with the values tends to be less frequent and more crowded (in our experience) and there are better facilities in the room and the resort. If the price difference was higher, then I would probably recommend AoA but with only £100 difference my personal advice would be to step up to a moderate. It really is personal preference for the OP, but I think knowing what that £100 extra actually gives you is the first step.

Ive put together a list of forums within the DIS Boards which people have set up to share with others.They have some great pictures on the first page to give you an idea of what the resorts are like.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3032047 CARIBBEAN BEACH RESORT
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3024335ART OF ANIMATION

We also found this Thread that had been started to show people what is classed as a "Snack" on the Disney Dining Plans,and its more than you'd think http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3039087
Im not sure if your aware but with the Dining Plans (Quick Service and all the others) you can use the credits when ever you want.You can use them all on the first day if you so wish or use up six in a day,its up to you how many you use per day.Each time you get your dining receipt at the bottom it will tell you exactly what you have left:)

I have read the info on the resorts, and art of animation. Is the one for us. And yes it is working out at only £100 more for a 'better' resort, it's not the money aspect of it, it's where we are going to enjoy staying. I could have picked one of the cheaper resorts, the all star ones, but I'm not too keen on them. So art of animation it is :cool1:

I have read the info on the resorts, and art of animation. Is the one for us. And yes it is working out at only £100 more for a 'better' resort, it's not the money aspect of it, it's where we are going to enjoy staying. I could have picked one of the cheaper resorts, the all star ones, but I'm not too keen on them. So art of animation it is :cool1:

woohooo well done on deciding :cool1:
Now the fun begins, happy planning.
If you need any help, just ask away. :thumbsup2

You've got to stay where you feel happy staying! Good luck with your trip and I'm sure you'll enjoy AoA! :thumbsup2

woohooo well done on deciding :cool1:
Now the fun begins, happy planning.
If you need any help, just ask away. :thumbsup2

Ohhh I have lots of questions :)

Will there be a fridge in the room?

Is there a wall-mart nearby? Yes I am strange, I want to visit a wall-mart and to get snacks etc

Is there a McDonalds in downtown disney?

Would it be better to get annual passes just further discount? We don't plan on returning within a year. ( I'm just too used to getting discount with my annual pass at DLP)

We are flying from Glasgow direct, having a kid with autism I have to think ahead, what is the airplane like inside? I've only ever went to Paris on a plane, never a long journey like America. We usually sit at the front seats, is there wee tv's to watch?

There will be more questions no doubt, thanks :)

Is there a wall-mart nearby? Yes I am strange, I want to visit a wall-mart and to get snacks etc

Would it be better to get annual passes just further discount? We don't plan on returning within a year. ( I'm just too used to getting discount with my annual pass at DLP)

We are flying from Glasgow direct, having a kid with autism I have to think ahead, what is the airplane like inside? I've only ever went to Paris on a plane, never a long journey like America. We usually sit at the front seats, is there wee tv's to watch?

Annual passes probably wouldn't be worth it. The little mermaid rooms have been excluded from the room discounts since it opened. They are a lot more expensive than UK tickets and could see you making up the difference in discounts.

There is a McDonalds near the all star resorts the one at DTD closed years ago now.

There are Walmarts nearby. Probably a 15 minute drive.

Once you know which airline you are flying with we can give more details on the plane. You tube will have videos.

Value resorts didn't used to have fridges in them (I have heard that this was going to change though). You can pay extra for one, it was $10 a day last time I checked

There are a number of Walmart stores within a 20 minute drive

Not anymore

Unless you're planning a second trip within a year, there is nothing to be gained by upgrading to Annual Passes.

I have 2 children with ASD (one Aspergers, one classic) so I TOTALLY understand the need to forward plan and forward think. Planes vary, but in my experience, most airlines have their seating charts available online or will send them to you if you ask. My advice would be to contact the airline special assistance (if they have one) if you need the front seats, we have had mixed results with this to be honest

My kids have done the flight to the US many times (my DW is from the US so we travel to see family as well as to Florida) and my advice would be to pack him a bag of his favourite things to do. There will be entertainment and movies to watch (barring any disasters with the in flight entertainment which we have had a few times) but it is a very long flight for them to manage.

How does your son's ASD affect him? Does he have sensory issues? If you can give us an overview of his difficulties, I can probably make some suggestions. I know I probably sound like I'm harping on about this, but WDW is nothing like DLP and there are some sensory issues that apply at WDW that were not a factor at DLP when we were there.

Answers in red! :thumbsup2

Just checked for you and according the WDW the Little Mermaid rooms have a small fridge in the rooms :thumbsup2

There is a fridge we had I e when we stayed in the LM room!
I'm glad you have chosen we lived AOA and we have stayed at AKL SSR POP to name a few, and my kids really did love the colour and theming of AOA!

Once you have chosen where to stay then the fun really begins I also have a son with autism he is 10 we never have problems flying with him as long as he knows the plans and we have a TV which most if not all do now :).

The AoA quote doesnt include dining and you dont get the $200 gift card with the value resorts. :goodvibes

Oh I know it does not include dining which I why I said that even with the OP paying for dining it is working out cheaper.
I don't necessarily think in this situation the 200 gc was a big factor as she would be paying more just to get the card.
Looks like they decided on AOA so the planning can begin :)

Answers in red! :thumbsup2

My son is currently non-verbal, loves airplanes and disney. Sensory wise, he chews alot of things and if someplace is closed in with alot of people and alot of noise he gets cranky, so that's why sitting at the front of the plane, he won't see the crowd and won't be able to kick the seat in front.
We are flying with Thomas Cook.
My son doesn't really understand much, but if he knows that he's going to Disney, he should be fine. Am able to take his favourite snacks etc on flight huh?

Every disney hotel room (except cabins at FW) have a fridge, even the Values, since March 2012. (it's a small fridge at Values)

2 walmart I can think of.
The first one is on 535 (exit Disney property at Crossroads (Hotel Plaza Blvd & 535) head down 535 past I4, and go straight down 535. You'll find Walmart roughly one mile before the junction with 192. (There are also a Publix and a Super Target at the junction of 535 & 192)
The second Walmart (supercenter) is past AKL. Drive down to 192 Westbound towards US27. You'll pass a Target and a Publix before the US27 junction. Take US27 north and you will find a walmart 1/4 to 1/2 mile after the junction.

not anymore
there is one just at the entrance of the All Stars Resorts. But limited selection of McD food, and Disney pricing
The first "real" McD is on Crossroads (past DTD, up Hotel Plaza Boulevard, at the junction with 535 (vineland)

discounts are just not worth it. I did the maths once, and to break even I needed to spend several thousand bucks on merchandise, so that the discounts matched the upgrade fee.
If you plan for 2 trips in the same year, then it's worth it as you save on tickets.
It's also worth it if you stay offsite ($14 savings per day on parking fees)

most planes have inflight entertainment, check with your airline before booking.
But be aware that there is no guarantee that your personnal screen will work during the flight, or that the whole system will work.
Always plan as if there was no personnal entertainment on your flight, don't rely solely on the fact that there "should" be inflight entertainment.

Am able to take his favourite snacks etc on flight huh?

You are.
Limitations only apply to fluids and gel-like materials.

Be advised that if there are leftovers, you'll either need to toss them, or declare them on your customs form, as there are strict regulations on importing food in the US (the snacks should be allowed in as long as it's not raw meat or fish or fruit, but you'd need to declare them)
As for the security process in the UK or in Scotland, you're good to go (as long as it's not a "liquid")

My son is currently non-verbal, loves airplanes and disney. Sensory wise, he chews alot of things and if someplace is closed in with alot of people and alot of noise he gets cranky, so that's why sitting at the front of the plane, he won't see the crowd and won't be able to kick the seat in front.
We are flying with Thomas Cook.
My son doesn't really understand much, but if he knows that he's going to Disney, he should be fine. Am able to take his favourite snacks etc on flight huh?

My younger daughter has a similar problem and we have tried each time to get a front row seat, sometimes the airlines are really good and understanding if you provide them with their medical diagnosis. Others are not so good. Best thing to do is contact them ASAP before the front row seats are taken.

Our eldest daughter has severe behavioural problems now and we can't take her. Becoming a teenager added to her difficulties and it is not safe for her to fly, but what we always do is take them to buy their "special plane bag" and pick out snacks, any special toys, colouring (our kids love to colour) and now they are older, little one takes her kindle.

It is a very long travel day so about 5 hour into the flight, when it is their usual bedtime, we settle them down, turn off the TV and have them take a little nap because when you arrive in FL the night is still young!

WDW is overstimulating for kids with ASD so plan to take some breaks and have some quiet time and you'll be fine. THere are some rides and attractions that you'll need to make your own judgement call on because they are either loud, dark, crowded etc. Our younger one can manage most rides and attractions, but our elder daughter struggled last year because she doesn't understand that things are "not real". Fireworks and parades can be very difficult due to crowds.

If you have any questions, there are lots of us here that have kids with ASD who will do our best to help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter