Breakfast recommendations

MinnieMallons

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are visiting Disney World in May (1st-15th), staying at Saratoga Springs.

Our plan was to eat breakfast at the hotel before getting the bus in time for rope drop.

The exception being when we visit AK as we have booked a late breakfast at Donald's.

I'm now wondering whether we are wasting opportunities by staying at the hotel for breakfast each day and whether we would be better eating at the park. The disadvantage being that as we like to eat early we would be spending the quietest first hour of the morning eating.

I looked into an early reservation for Crystal Palace boot its entirely booked up now.

Is it worth the hassle of getting to Animal Kingdom Lodge or Kona at the Polynesian prior to our park visit for breakfast?

Any suggestions welcome :)

My wife and I are visiting Disney World in May (1st-15th), staying at Saratoga Springs.

Our plan was to eat breakfast at the hotel before getting the bus in time for rope drop.

The exception being when we visit AK as we have booked a late breakfast at Donald's.

I'm now wondering whether we are wasting opportunities by staying at the hotel for breakfast each day and whether we would be better eating at the park. The disadvantage being that as we like to eat early we would be spending the quietest first hour of the morning eating.

I looked into an early reservation for Crystal Palace boot its entirely booked up now.

Is it worth the hassle of getting to Animal Kingdom Lodge or Kona at the Polynesian prior to our park visit for breakfast?

Travel between resorts is pretty difficult if you're relying on Disney transportation. If you have a car or you will be taking a cab, it's not so bad. How you end up getting to another resort in order to eat breakfast has a big impact on whether it is worth it.

IMO, it's worth it to do on a non-park day but if I wanted to hit the theme parks early, then I would skip doing breakfast at another resort. The exception would be if I were staying in the EPCOT deluxe resorts. It's easy to walk from one resort to another when staying there.

Your meals and times are on your schedule. We found a quick bite for the kids at the resort and a few cereal bars for us gets us through until breakfast which always turns out to be some sort of pastry keeps us going until lunch time

If you want to take the time to travel to other resorts- and it can take a lot of time- then I would recommend the following:

Whispering Canyon Cafe - Wilderness Lodge
Trails End- Fort Wilderness
Chef Mickey (Character Meal) - Contemporary

May is my favorite time of year to go! Have an awesome trip!

Well I would say it depends on how important different breakfast/eating opportunities are to you. We enjoy eating at different places and are not morning people, so we do the different resorts for breakfast.

If getting there for rope drop and doing the park is your thing, you might want to stick with that and just do your one breakfast at Tusker House at AK. See how you like doing it that way :)

Kona is really good if you want to try there. I also really like Kouzzina for breakfast at Boardwalk.

Bring coffee packets and breakfast bars. Have breakfast in your room. You will get out more quickly in the morning and avoid consuming hundreds of additional calories every day for everyone in your party.

If you want to do rope drop, I would eat in my room. We tend to split it up between eating a big breakfast and eating something quick in our room, depending on what we are doing that day. Kona is a great breakfast, but I would do that maybe if I was going to DTD that day or get an early ressie to get to Epcot or MK for rope drop. Doing Donald's breakfast late is exactly what we do. Hit rope drop, do some rides, late breakfast, back to rides! Works great for us. Love the breakfast there. You could do the same thing with Crystal Palace if you wanted or keep checking for an early morning cancellation. But I don't know what your plans are for lunch.

Another suggestion if it's a mk or epcot day, The Wave at the contemporary resort has a great breakfast buffet without characters. We were in and out in no time then we just walked over to the mk. Very reasonable too.

Another suggestion if it's a mk or epcot day, The Wave at the contemporary resort has a great breakfast buffet without characters. We were in and out in no time then we just walked over to the mk. Very reasonable too.

I was going to also suggest The Wave. It opens at 7:30 and the servers are quick to take the beverage order and the buffet items are ready to go!

Usually when we go, we choose to do one bigger breakfast (character or other bigger served breakfast) and the others in the hotel room with cereal and bananas and whatnot.

This year we did Chef Mickeys and it was nice because we were close to MK. We also knew that we were going to be at the park late, so we didnt' mind missing out on rope drop. (we still got there early though because I snagged a 7:15 breakfast reservation)

It really depends on you and your touring style.

OP is staying at a DVC resort, so they can really do any breakfast in the room (my mom even brings an electric griddle to do eggs in a studio kitchenette), and that's what we do except for one or 2 buffets on non rope drop days.

What a great question...yes, it is a hassle to go to AKL (Boma) for breakfast. However, the breakfast there is just wonderful. The setting is exotic (AKL as a whole), the food is varied and delicious (although they seem to have migrated from most African to mostly American comfort food, but not all).

And you'll have a lot of overhead driving or taking the bus there, then continuing to the MK.

I would consider breakfast at AKL on your last day when you're not going to a park if you have that time. The best of both worlds!

Thanks for all the responses.

We have not made plans for lunch on our Epcot and Magic Kingdom days, just going to pick somewhere we like the look of.

We have no idea about our 'touring style' as this will be my wife's first time at Disney and I've not been since I was 11yrs old, 19yrs ago.

I'm trying to ensure we get to MK for rope drop as we have 6pm dinner reservations and want to go back to SSR to change, so planning on leaving the parks around 2:30pm, back for 6pm and stay till closing.

An advantage of being at SSR hotel is that you can walk to DTD and catch buses to most other hotels from there.

We are not particularly bothered about the character dining breakfasts as we're going to Donald's and eating at most of the other character dinner spots.

There are no ADRs free before 9am for most breakfast spots now.

Over50visists: I really like your idea about visiting on our last day. We fly out at 7pm so will have the morning to spend on site. we have also left the second to last day free until dinner booking so could go to Kona then.

Our whole family agrees that we wouldn't dream of missing a breakfast at Boma. We think it's wonderful and worth the detour. :)

Boma is not to be missed. The french toast bread pudding with praline sauce is to die for. Our other favorites are 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey's, and Hollywood and Vine. We always try to make at least a couple of ADRs for breakfast in the parks before the park opens just for the picture opportunities. To make up for all of our breakfast ADR's we usually eat lunch in the villa midday before we head to the pool or take a nap.

Think that Kona and Boma are going to be added to our to do list.

Just seen Tonga Toast and think it would be crime to miss that.

Can anyone advise or point me to a thread on the best way to get hold of food for our room.

As fear as I can see there are supermarkets on site to buy food and drink supplies from.

Since you like to eat breakfast early, I see nothing wrong with just hitting Artist's Palette for many of your early morning meals. The menu (last updated on the site about 9 months ago) is here.

The Wave is quite good, though, and if you're early risers definitely try it out!

If you're used to eating more protein than carbs at breakfast, if you try the Tonga Toast at Kona, maybe split it. It's big. As she set it down on the table, our server said, quite accurately, "here's your half a loaf of bread!"

There are countless opportunities to eat throughout the day at WDW, but only one rope drop. :goodvibes

I like that.

An advantage of being at SSR hotel is that you can walk to DTD and catch buses to most other hotels from there.

As a thought, you might bump up the budget and consider taking a taxi to the different resorts. Quicker and more simple.

If we want to go to the grocery, we just drive. But we always have a rental car. We don't like being dependent on someone else driving us. And the times we haven't had a car the whole time, we take a taxi if we want to go somewhere to eat, etc, that doesn't have DIRECT transportation there.

Boma is worth the trip. Kona would not be too far of of your way if you catch bus to MK and hop on monorail. Besides those 2, other favorites of ours are Captain's Grill and Akerhus in Norway at Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter