• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Breakeven Point for Annual Passes

MollysWorld

Earning My Ears
Hey.....sure this question has been asked, but just looking for opinions again. DW and I are going to be at BWI for 9 days/8 nights in Oct. Am wondering at what point is it a breakeven, or close, for purchasing Annual Passes and going Room Only.

We are in NC, so making another trip is not out of the question. And we wonder if the Bounce Back is a RO discount, might it be worth just doing Annual Pass now. Just can't imagine the initial cost being that much more than the package, especially with the possibility of another trip and the other Annual Pass incentives.

Thanks.

We are buying annual passes this year for the savings. We worked it out that we (me, DH, DS9) buy five-day park hoppers each trip, and we go at least once a year. Buying annual passes will save us $300, in just passes alone. Plus you get discounts on merchandise, rooms, party tickets, food, and free parking. We are partially staying offsite this next trip, so it worked out we'd save $85 in parking alone. We are going November this year, and will go in October next year.

It depends on each length of stay and if you are buying the Ultimate Annual Pass or Water Parks and More tickets. If you are not buying the Water Parks option either time, basically 6 days or more on two or more separate trips is the point where you are ahead to buy the AP based only on the cost of the tickets (Annual Passes by definition include the Park Hopper option). If you are buying the Water Parks option each time, two separate trips totaling 8 days or more is the break even point for the Ultimate Annual Pass. But there are other discounts and benefits also.

the math for this gets complex fast. Because the Disney ticket cost is "Front Weighted" So 3-4 trips more than 14 days apart you quickly get to AP cost, since the first day costs you 90-95$.

Then you can factor in 10% merch discount, and AP Room only, buying TiW/DDE, food discounts at some TS without TiW.

Even your mickey treat from the candy shop in MK gives you 10% off, because it's Merch.

A 9 day pass is $366.36 (includes tax) with hopping it is $430.26

An AP is $675.21 (includes tax)

So....if you go with the 9 day hopping....you would need only a 2 day hopper on your 2nd trip within the year to break even....any trip longer than 2 days is "free days".

If you go without hopping for the 9 day, your next trip within the year would need to be a minimum of 3 days to roughly break even....any more and they are "free".

Now, that comparison does NOT take into account some of the discounts that you MAY receive with the AP....room discounts (sometimes they can be zero or only 10%....sometimes they can be as high as 35% for certain days and select resorts. Food and merchandise discounts at SELECT places is 10%. You also get free parking, but if you always stay on site, this perk is worth zero since resort guests get it free always. For MY family that's a big perk because we never stay onsite, so that's $17 a day savings. AP also means you can buy the TiW card for $100....but again you need to do the math as to whether that works for your family.

You need to do the math for your personal touring style and be certain that you'll go for at least a short trip to break even....but with a 9 or 10 day trip, it's generally thought to be better to go AP.

Hey, thanks for all the great info. Seems like we might be on the border line of going with the Annual Pass from a money perspective. The TIW benefit looks nice.

From what I have read, it seems that sometimes room discounts are available to AP holders, but there is no guarantee of the discount or the rate. Is the merchandise discount available at all stores at Disney?

I have heard, for the first time, about the bounce back packages when you are staying at Disney that include room only discounts. We won't know about those until we get there. If you are already at Disney and have tickets as part of your package, can you convert to AP once you have started using your package? I was thinking if the bounceback was a room discount deal, it might make sense to convert then if that was possible. Do they give you credit for the ticket package you have purchased?

TIA

Part of our vacation centers around signature restaurants, so I think we make our money back in TIW alone!

From what I have read, it seems that sometimes room discounts are available to AP holders, but there is no guarantee of the discount or the rate. Is the merchandise discount available at all stores at Disney?

Both on the rates. Not always available not any guarantee of the rate.

10% is off merch at all Disney owned stores. That means there are a few shops (mostly in world showcase) that don't.

with the new Magic Bands is that it doesn't automatically give you your discounts if you have an annual pass attached to the MB and you will still need to show an actual "paper" AP and your license to get the discounts. This is the same with TIW ... you must have hard copy proof.

We do 2 short trips per year- usually 5 nights and we only go to Disney for 3 days. So for a 6 day non-expiring ticket we are at $585. coming close to an AP.

this has me thinking- with a renewal being only 575ish? we'd save 10 bucks on that- but have to front 634 for an AP now. Wondering if we'd save 50 bucks over the long term on other things like parking.

Where can I find info on discounts offered to AP people?

Where can I find info on discounts offered to AP people?

Basically you need to ask a Passholder, I don't think you can access the passholder discounts list without being a passholder.

the big perks/discounts are-
o 10% off Merch
o free parking
o meal discounts at specific locations

I had a PH ticket and upgraded it to an AP When I got to MK on my first day at City Hall, it was last November before You could get them on MB. However, when I returned in May, I got my AP on a MB, you get a separate card you need to show with ID when you want to get your 10%off, you don't need it to get into the parks, you also get a slider to put on your MB to show you are a AP holder. Coming from the UK and a regular visitor it has made great sense, I paid approximately £380 for the AP, considering it's around £270 for a 14 day PH and I'm doing three trips within the 12 months(only possible with an AP) plus all the money off merchandise especially the high end D&B and VeraBradley bags I love, so saved shedloads. Also you get a saving on renewal, it'll be on current exchange rates around £330 and a PH is £280 for next year I'll make savings on one trip, so the second trip PH will be paid for before I go. You also get discounts on MVMCP and MNSSHP (there are blackout dates) so I'm very happy with my decision and wish I'd done it sooner.

We are getting an AP this year. We are DVC so our park tickets are the biggest chunk of our money. It makes sense for us. Family of 4 PH is 1600 and to get the DVC AP it's 2000. Yes it's more money this year but it will save us park tickets next year. :)

If you get the AP, don't forget to figure in the costs of the extra trips you will take because "they're free".

If you use your AP to get hotel discounts, can you combine that with free dining if it is offered to the general public?

If you use your AP to get hotel discounts, can you combine that with free dining if it is offered to the general public?

Disney generally has a policy of 1 discount per reservation. Free dining is just a room discount that matches the cost of paid dining.

You have to choose Free Dining (plus adding base tickets) or 20-35% off room, not having to add tickets, and paying for dining out of pocket or pay for the D*DP. It requires you to do some math to figure out which is better.

No. Free dining requires a full price room and a 2 day MYW ticket purchase. You could buy the 2 day ticket and apply it to your AP purchase.

If you get the AP, don't forget to figure in the costs of the extra trips you will take because "they're free".

:rotfl2:
Yes. Very important tip! We bought our APs last year planning on a trip last December and this coming October. But then we decided we might as well try to squeeze in a "quick" trip last April. It's been a fun year, but that was a major hit to the budget we hadn't originally counted on.

Also, here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/passholder-benefits-and-discounts/

have to front 634 for an AP now. Wondering if we'd save 50 bucks over the long term on other things like parking.

When you go, do you stay offsite? If so, then YES you'll save on parking. If you stay onsite, parking is included so the AP won't give you that benefit.

Discounts, parking...they add up, depending on your habits and plans!

But the biggest benefit is getting to go for more trips inside that full 365 day period (366 for a leap year) without having to pay for admission again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter