Breakdown of costs in Package??

lpberg

Mouseketeer
Does Disney do this? I just hung up with CR and she couldn't give me a detailed breakdown of costs. I'm trying to justify the cost of a package vs. booking everything by ourselves separately (room only vs. MYW + dining). I didn't really *WANT* the dining package but she said the only way I could get the room I wanted (WL, Woods View with Bunk Beds) was to book a package????!!!!????? Does that sound right to all of you?

Anyway - I really just wanted the quote on the room cost so I could compare it to what I'd be getting with AAA. If I understand it correctly, they can't book a AAA rate in a package...........

Sorry for the confused post - my head is spinning after talking to this woman for 45 minutes!!! :scared:

TIA for all your help!
Lynne

Does Disney do this? I just hung up with CR and she couldn't give me a detailed breakdown of costs. I'm trying to justify the cost of a package vs. booking everything by ourselves separately (room only vs. MYW + dining). I didn't really *WANT* the dining package but she said the only way I could get the room I wanted (WL, Woods View with Bunk Beds) was to book a package????!!!!????? Does that sound right to all of you?

Anyway - I really just wanted the quote on the room cost so I could compare it to what I'd be getting with AAA. If I understand it correctly, they can't book a AAA rate in a package...........

Sorry for the confused post - my head is spinning after talking to this woman for 45 minutes!!! :scared:

TIA for all your help!
Lynne

DIsney seems to be all about the PACKAGES if you aren't booking a package they don't offer much in incentives or assistence!! If you check mousesavers they break down the cost of tickets and rooms etc. You can add it all up and figure out which way to make the reservation HTH

I am an Annual Passholder, Disney Visa Rewards Card member since Day 1 and have visited WDW 12 times in the last 5 years and right now I am so mad at them because all incentives are aimed at the person buying their package. Loyalty is not recognized.

You can also do a breakdown yourself by using the www.disneyworld.com website. Check the price of a room only reservation. Check the price for the tickets you want. Add up about what you think you would spend on food. Total it all up and see if it is a better deal than the quote they gave you for the package. I would also use the website to price a package to make sure it's the same as the quote they gave you.

IF you book with AAA you get the AAA rate, assuming there are available rooms at that rate for your time, on the room portion of your package.
two weeks ago, I priced a Disney package, I called AAA got quote on same package for about $250 less then the General public rate came out for my dates and I called AAA and had them change the rate to that and saved almost another $400.

With Disney for some rate specials you would have to book a package but it only needs to contain a one day ticket it does not HAVE to have the dinng plan, unless of course the special is Dining.

It's not always the best (to do a package), which I recently discovered. I had the AAA room only rate and then I lost that room-only discount when I moved it to a package. Even when I booked through AAA, the room-only discount was lost when they added it together as a package.

So if you get a AAA discount on your room, it might be better to do things separately.

Also, I like the room-only rate because it gets rid of the need for insurance. With packages, you have to pre-pay everything xx amount of days before you arrive. With a room-only reservation, you can cancel up to 5 or 6 days before you arrive without penalty. Then if you do HAVE to cancel, you only lose one night's room. So it made a lot more sense to me NOT to do a package. Saved money on the room and didn't waste money on insurance.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I couldn't get a breakdown either, so I did research on the website. I would get the costs for just the room. Then start over & get the costs for room plus tickets (of varying lengths & types). Then start over & get the costs for room, tickets & dining package.
Booking a package doesn't require booking the dining plan. For your reservation to be a package you'll book room & at least one days tickets. We always get the dining plan. We've learned to make the most of what it offers. We eat in places that we normally wouldn't and I like the feeling of having it all paid for ahead of time.

To the OP, I am guessing that was the only way that room view/type was available was with a MYW+Dine package.
As mentioned, booking a AAA package requires guests to book through AAA.
However to confuse the situation :rotfl: guests can book a AAA room only through Disney.
If you are able to be more flexible in your dates or room type you may be able to book room only or the package type you want.

It's not always the best (to do a package), which I recently discovered. I had the AAA room only rate and then I lost that room-only discount when I moved it to a package. Even when I booked through AAA, the room-only discount was lost when they added it together as a package.

So if you get a AAA discount on your room, it might be better to do things separately.

Also, I like the room-only rate because it gets rid of the need for insurance. With packages, you have to pre-pay everything xx amount of days before you arrive. With a room-only reservation, you can cancel up to 5 or 6 days before you arrive without penalty. Then if you do HAVE to cancel, you only lose one night's room. So it made a lot more sense to me NOT to do a package. Saved money on the room and didn't waste money on insurance.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Hello, I was wondering if you book a pkg with AAA, does that pkg include the AAA discounted room rate with everything else that's already in the pkg. OR, is the resort discount even less if booked separately? Does this make sense? Sorry!!

DIsney seems to be all about the PACKAGES if you aren't booking a package they don't offer much in incentives or assistence!! If you check mousesavers they break down the cost of tickets and rooms etc. You can add it all up and figure out which way to make the reservation HTH

I am an Annual Passholder, Disney Visa Rewards Card member since Day 1 and have visited WDW 12 times in the last 5 years and right now I am so mad at them because all incentives are aimed at the person buying their package. Loyalty is not recognized.

...ITA....I called a little while ago and got nothing but a big HEADACHE!:headache: Both my DH and I are Disney Visa Rewards Card member (only mine is a Day One) and we have visited 4 times in the last 4 years - I didn't get ANY GOOD RATES AT ALL for the Christmas Week $8516.72 for a 2BR villa at OKW for 4 adults/2 children with NO FOOD and only 4-day passes (not even Park Hoppers!:eek: )....there is NO WAY I'm springing for that amount of moolah..!!

We go to Disney usually twice a year and have never booked a package. We have always managed to use some kind of discount on our rooms (usually AAA) and we don't do the DDP - we don't eat at enough table service meals to justify the cost - we'd rather eat on the run!!:rotfl:

My sister booked a package once years ago, but after finding these forums and doing a little research, we've found that we can go a LOT cheaper by not booking packages.

....I called S/D yesterday and got the Teachers' Rate (room only, obviously) of $189/nite, or $1,276.78 for 2 Ad/2Ch for 6 nites, 12/22 to 12/28......WA-A-A-AY cheaper than OKW......

It just goes to show that I'm NOT crazy! :rolleyes1 Since my original Post, I've contacted Dreams Unlimited (for room only), gone online to Disney's website, and contacted a local AAA agent so that I could compare the package vs. room only rates. Bottom line: the package "deal" that the CR rep quoted me isn't that great of a deal.

That said, I can't get the room I wanted (woods view, bunk beds) without the package, unless I book a non-AAA rate. We're trying to keep our budget in check :rotfl: for this trip and although the AAA rate Courtyard view bunk beds room would be 50 cents cheaper (yes, that's it!) than the regular Disney rack rate for Woods View, my thought/hope was that the AAA rate for those rooms would be even less!!!

At this point, AAA has come in the cheapest for room and 8 day park hoppers (even though we only wanted 6 day - for $30 more, I get 2 extra days). I'm still holding the package from Disney and plan on calling them the closer we get to our travel dates (April/May 2008) to remove the DDP..... Also hoping for some kind of discount code between now and then!!! :hourglass

Thanks again for all the comments.

Lynne

...That said, I can't get the room I wanted (woods view, bunk beds) without the package, unless I book a non-AAA rate. We're trying to keep our budget in check :rotfl: for this trip and although the AAA rate Courtyard view bunk beds room would be 50 cents cheaper...

....wow, a whole .50c......
smiley_bored.gif

for what it's worth-i am going with 2 kids and 2 grandparents and did room only...no package and there was no AAA discount for our rooms...i preferred to do it all a la carte for most flexibility plus we aren;'t going for the food-so we may share plates and eat a little here and there and have some nice dinners-but i didn't want to be wedded to a plan and have to deal with how many trade in for this meal and what do we have left and etc....

it's our first trip there so we don't know what to expect and thought least stressful was the least restrictive way and that was room only! Plus with 4 year old twin-ya never know which way the wind will blow-we could all be sleeping after lunch till the next day :confused: Good luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter