• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Brazilian Tour Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

longrf01

Mouseketeer
I've been in EPCOT the past few days and noticed several different BTGs (identified by the .br websites on their tour group shirts). But...something was different. There seemed to be more adult supervision. The weren't doing any cheers, cutting ("join my friends") in line, or running like herd and trampling people. I've also seen something new - CMs in green polos with a Brazilian flag hanging around.

So perhaps we've turned a corner on this one.

I've been in EPCOT the past few days and noticed several different BTGs (identified by the .br websites on their tour group shirts). But...something was different. There seemed to be more adult supervision. The weren't doing any cheers, cutting ("join my friends") in line, or running like herd and trampling people. I've also seen something new - CMs in green polos with a Brazilian flag hanging around.

That would be great. We saw so many during our July trip.

My husband and I were there in January and got to experience the tour groups. Aside from the fact that they were large groups which made it difficult to get around them while walking, they really were no problem. They didn't do the yelling or chanting then, either. We also didn't experience them trying to cut in line or running. :thumbsup2

Oh my God! People from other countries and other cultures "behaving" themselves and not doing anything "upsetting" to the rest of us? Oh happy day!:rolleyes2
I'll have to remember that the next time a cruise ship of 4000 ugly Americans gets off a ship and invades ______________________ (fill in the blank with any small foreign port). American tourists are not without sin when it comes to foreign travel. Let's stop throwing stones at South American travelers out to have some fun.

Oh my God! People from other countries and other cultures "behaving" themselves and not doing anything "upsetting" to the rest of us? Oh happy day!:rolleyes2
I'll have to remember that the next time a cruise ship of 4000 ugly Americans gets off a ship and invades ______________________ (fill in the blank with any small foreign port). American tourists are not without sin when it comes to foreign travel. Let's stop throwing stones at South American travelers out to have some fun.

I don't think anyone is throwing stones at South American travelers here. There have been posts in the past where people were bothered by certain tour groups from Brazil or Argentina who were loud, cut in line, or ran through the parks sometimes running into or over other guests. I and other posters were simply stating that, while we were there during the same time as tour groups from Brazil, we didn't experience the negatives that we have sometimes seen posted. Hopefully, this will encourage other people when/if they read about negative behaviors that it isn't necessarily something to just expect.

I don't think anyone is throwing stones at South American travelers here. There have been posts in the past where people were bothered by certain tour groups from Brazil or Argentina who were loud, cut in line, or ran through the parks sometimes running into or over other guests. I and other posters were simply stating that, while we were there during the same time as tour groups from Brazil, we didn't experience the negatives that we have sometimes seen posted. Hopefully, this will encourage other people when/if they read about negative behaviors that it isn't necessarily something to just expect.

But the use of the word "negative" is infuriating. Because these guests don't adhere to your cultural expectations, they are behaving negatively?? OK. Line cutting I get, (but have not witnessed). But these groups are all too often called out simply because of their group size (which is not a negative behavior), or for singing and chanting which is simply a differentl cultural behavior. Having a good time is not negative behavior.

And my post was not directed to yours. But the whole "turn the corner" thing is ridiculous. As if we are training house pets to do as we say.

I had intended the post to be a shout out to the tour group operators (and the teenagers in these groups). I see where you're coming from though and I'm sorry if you were offended.

I know American teens have their shortcomings - see the many posts about Pop Warner on these boards. And don't even start me on mean spirited senior citizens on ECVs who think the world revolves around them. An intoxicated one of them mowed my DS5 down and gave him a concussion. (BTW - Celebration Health has an awesome ER.)

I had intended the post to be a shout out to the tour group operators (and the teenagers in these groups). I see where you're coming from though and I'm sorry if you were offended.

I know American teens have their shortcomings - see the many posts about Pop Warner on these boards. And don't even start me on mean spirited senior citizens on ECVs who think the world revolves around them. An intoxicated one of them mowed my DS5 down and gave him a concussion. (BTW - Celebration Health has an awesome ER.)

Got it. It's all good. :)
Sorry you needed the ER. But glad it worked out.

I think what the OP is getting at is that there seems to be some sort of policy change for large tour groups regarding minors (ie: more chaparones required) and Disney is providing dedicated CMs for non-English speaking groups. Maybe those group travel organizations have been becoming more strict with rules. I think the idea was speculation about the changes s/he noticed.

I hope so, they seem to be not as bad. Years ago it was just awful. I still wouldn't want to be stuck in a resort with them.

But the use of the word "negative" is infuriating. Because these guests don't adhere to your cultural expectations, they are behaving negatively?? OK. Line cutting I get, (but have not witnessed). But these groups are all too often called out simply because of their group size (which is not a negative behavior), or for singing and chanting which is simply a differentl cultural behavior. Having a good time is not negative behavior.

And my post was not directed to yours. But the whole "turn the corner" thing is ridiculous. As if we are training house pets to do as we say.

The common complaint I've seen is that they are generally under-chaperoned for a big bunch of teenagers, and I wouldn't care if that's cultural or not.

But the use of the word "negative" is infuriating. Because these guests don't adhere to your cultural expectations, they are behaving negatively?? OK. Line cutting I get, (but have not witnessed). But these groups are all too often called out simply because of their group size (which is not a negative behavior), or for singing and chanting which is simply a differentl cultural behavior. Having a good time is not negative behavior. And my post was not directed to yours. But the whole "turn the corner" thing is ridiculous. As if we are training house pets to do as we say.
What's infuriating is a hundred or so teenagers scream-chanting songs while crammed into the tiny fuselage of an airplane that I (and however many other passengers) spent hundreds of dollars to fly on. If you don't call that negative behavior, I guess you and I will just have to agree to disagree on that one.

What's infuriating is a hundred or so teenagers scream-chanting songs while crammed into the tiny fuselage of an airplane that I (and however many other passengers) spent hundreds of dollars to fly on. If you don't call that negative behavior, I guess you and I will just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Yep..jimmy should visit in July when they are in full force pushing and shoving and yes chanting. And yes they should behave with our customs that we don't push and shove to get in line . Most of the time. In our custom that is looked up as rude, in theirs it's not. Brazil has a rich class and poor class...not a big middle class. The rich are very entitled and will shove others out of the their way. Every single one of them? No. But it is common practice, and it has been done lots in wdw. So yes, come here, abide by our customs and knock it off.

We were at Chracter Spot at Epcot last week and waiting in a stand by line with a wait time of 15 mins. Well, out of the corner of my eye a BTG (50+) get into the FP line... Wait times increased to 45 mins for stand by. WHY should a LARGE tour group be allowed to book FP+ all at once ? I even noticed FP+ lines at the Kiosks for tour goups only.

It's not just the tour groups...I've been on the boats at Universal with Brazilian families (larger group, let's say 10 or so) singing Brazilian sings LOUD the whole trip. So annoying!

My husband and I were there in January and got to experience the tour groups. Aside from the fact that they were large groups which made it difficult to get around them while walking, they really were no problem. They didn't do the yelling or chanting then, either. We also didn't experience them trying to cut in line or running. :thumbsup2

Same here. I've seen plenty of tour groups and never had a problem. Until I started reading this board I didn't realize anyone gave it a second thought.

Same here. I've seen plenty of tour groups and never had a problem. Until I started reading this board I didn't realize anyone gave it a second thought.

You're lucky then. It's been well know and talked about by locals for at least 30 years. I've seen them go in and just destroy gift shops and toy stores. It's like a swarm of locusts going through a farm field.

We were just at WDW from the 16th-25th. We came across lots of Brazilian tour groups, and many chanted and yelled a lot. The chants got annoying, but in an open space I was fine with it. Inside a queue, it really was frustrating because it was just too loud and I felt like it was rude to others. They did all appear to be very organized and staying together. I didn't see any rude behavior such as line cutting either. We did see the single rider line at Rock-n-Roller Coaster shut down because they were trying to go through there and the CM commented he shut it down because it was messing with the standby wait time.

We were there last year during a peak time for tour groups from Brazil...seems like the peak is the first half of July. Overall, I found them to be pretty well behaved and I don't mind them singing as a group if it isn't disruptive.

However, although not their fault, they did play havoc with Fastpass returns (FP+ wasn't in effect yet) and waiting times, since they did have some very large groups. An example I use is that a large group (seemed like about 100) went to the FP return for Buzz Lightyear at MK, which caused the FP return line to extend outside the building. I would think the nature of FP distribution having an hour return time would be that the actual return would be somewhat distributed throughout that hour, but if a group has them that gets thrown off a bit by everyone showing up at once.

Same with the delay of posted standby wait times. Of course, we've all seen this happen even without tour groups, but a large group going into a standby queue will quickly throw off the posted time. The example I remember was a posted 10 minute time at Star Tours was considerably longer as the group was queued to just outside the building entrance.

It will be interesting to see if any of that changes with FP+. For example, will a large group be able to tie, for example, 100 tickets to a single MDE and does the large group have the same rules of use 3 then get another. Perhaps Disney is trying to get groups into smaller chunks, thus more chaperones.

The green shirted CM's with the Brazilian flag were there last summer as well, and were there in early June this year, although I didn't see many tour groups from anywhere.

I'm a local with APs to all parks so it affords me some what of the availability to avoid the tour groups most of them time. If we get to the park and there are tons of the unruly ones we just hit a couple rides and leave.

I know they are excited to be here and I know they are just trying to have fun. But what really bugs me is the chanting in queues. I have nothing against the singing/chanting out in the open. BUT in queues where there is sound/music its very distracting and rude in my opinion. Several times Ive had tour groups chanting in the queues for Forbidden Journey right in the section where the pictures talk :mad: so I can understand how people can get very frustrated. If you dont go often or just once it can make it difficult for you to really get to experiences the complete attraction. Also happened in the queue for Transformers. Same thing happened to us our first time on Its A Small World. tour group one boat back was chanting almost the whole ride.

And yes, they should follow the customs here, as typically when you travel anywhere else in the world you should follow the customs in those places

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter