Brazilian Tour Groups?

Boomhauer, of course these stories about the :eek: things aren't acceptable. They never are, never mind what reason. What I've been reading about some experiences on here they are literall jaw-dropping. As human beings we should not tolerate that from any other human being, period. And to be clear on this; I'm not doubting if they're true or not for even a second!!

What I was objecting against is the "speak english when in public, even if you're not talking to anyone outside your group because otherwise you are disrespectfull".

It is hard to deal with these kinds of behaviour. And with me not being from Brazil, I can only guess on what information we get about Brazil and it's inhabitants. They are loud people, compared to what we're used to. Not wanting to be rude, not thinking they're rude, being loud is simply they're way of life. For instance; we run into them with soccer a lot. If you see how a dutch team would prep, as an american you would probably think "that's the same as we do it". The Brazil team? A lot of chanting, music making, a LOT of noice! It's like a culture shock. But than again, I must say there is never any chanting our whistling during another anthem being played before any match. If there is, most of them are europeans doing that, I must say to my dislike.

For me it's normall to think about the country you're visiting. Eventhough you might not speak the language, we all have access to internet. It isn't hard anymore to look up a bit about a country so you don't run around half naked in very islamitic countries, so I don't burp after dinner in our country (that is a compliment in some countries), or I don't ignore the way my own country run Suriname into poverty when I visit Suriname. If you ask me, these simple things are the way in which we pay respect. Look up the big things and act appropriate. And sure, we might slip up sometime, but at least you'll take out the real big NONO that are the worst.

Problem is, they are supervised. It's just that the "supervisors" are just as bad, if not worse.

That is a problem. If you ask me problem # 2 is Disney. If these groups are notorious for theire behaviour upto a point of which it even gets dangerous, Disney could and should do some damage-controle. If you can't control your group, you'll have to deal with the consequences. For all I care, get a "3 strikes, you're out" policy or something, in which a supervisor can be hold accountable, You can't manage? You aren't allowed into WDW in the future anymore with groups. It happens with a specific TA more than acceptable? No more groups from that TA allowed. Sure, you'll never get rid of all of the bad apples and it should really be the supervisors who should solve this problem, but sadly they aren't. Disney should care enough about there other customers to get involved and actually do something to reduce these problems.

That is a problem. If you ask me problem # 2 is Disney. If these groups are notorious for theire behaviour upto a point of which it even gets dangerous, Disney could and should do some damage-controle. If you can't control your group, you'll have to deal with the consequences. For all I care, get a "3 strikes, you're out" policy or something, in which a supervisor can be hold accountable, You can't manage? You aren't allowed into WDW in the future anymore with groups. It happens with a specific TA more than acceptable? No more groups from that TA allowed. Sure, you'll never get rid of all of the bad apples and it should really be the supervisors who should solve this problem, but sadly they aren't. Disney should care enough about there other customers to get involved and actually do something to reduce these problems.

Agree 100%... it's shameful (to me, at least, as Brazilian) see all of these comments, but I'm aware that these tour groups are really bad. It's ruining with our image (and/or endorsing the worst).

If I can contribute with the above idea, just let me know.

It must be hard to read all of this. Eventhough, it can never be nice to read these things about ones own country. And allthough some of us can make the distinction between rude groups of brazilians and other brazilians, there are those out there who can't or won't. It's never pleasant to run into that, let alone while being on holiday. And even more; in the happiest place on earth!

One benefit to this all though; it made a poster out of a lurker. I allways like that. :)

The Brazilians do cause more issues than most other tour groups. I don't mean all Brazilians (just the teenage tour groups). This is coming from a former cheerleader as well as a former CM. Cheerleading and sports groups usually only go to the parks for 2 days tops (the rest of the time, they are playing) and even though they may be large groups and they might be loud, they all know that they are representing a team and can easily get into a lot of trouble (at least on my team, haha). School groups (which is mainly a NJ thing (only state that usually does 1 week trips to florida in the middle of the school year) may have less respect than sports teams but again, can get into a lot of trouble (most HS's in jersey will not let you graduate if you act out on senior trip, i lived in NJ and went on one).

Brazilians are different. This is the CM talking. I was a custodial CM in DTD. They do not have respect for anything. I would walk behind them as they walked down the West Side towards Cirque and sweep the trash they were throwing. I felt like one of those people that follows the horse in a parade, picking up as they dropped trash. It wasn't a little bit of trash either. It would be empty cups, huge pieces of paper, and lots and lots of gum. They also have a problem in the bathrooms because, I guess, they have been taught to not flush and paper products, so the little trash cans for women overflow after a group of them goes in. When I was working nside the Cirque building as a custodian, theyre was a group there to see the show and they did not stop talking (it ruined the show for some). I have also heard from bus drivers that they do not follow the bus rules and make it quite uncomfortable for other guests on the buses. One busdriver said he even made a group of kids come back on to pick up all of their trash after he told them they could not have food and drink. I don't know how other guests are affected by them but I do know how CM's are and I hope it is not the same. The stuff I have listed doens't really affect guests as much but it aggravates a lot of us CM's almost to a breaking point with them.

Yes, Disney should deal with the problem better. It surprises me they don't. Disney really should remove the groups from the parks and/or resorts if they do not behave.

Part of the problem, I think, is cultural. I've never been to Brazil, but I do know that the concept of waiting in lines varies between nations, as does wearing deoderant and bathing daily, too!

Part of it is linguistic. Even if the young Brazilians study English for many years, they do not necessarily have the skills to actually speak English well. Also, any chanting or singing stands out an extra amount because they are doing so in Portuguese and not in English.

Part of it is age related, as large groups of any teens will want to misbehave and act rudely if given the chance (sorry but that's what I think).

A huge part of it is the lack of responsibility of the chaperones. Last year we were at TT, and the chaperone in front of us very rudely pushed past us to get someone in their group who was straggling behind--no apology or excuse at all. And the chaperones should tell the kids not to chant or block the walkway or push. But they don't.

Ultimately, I hold Disney accountable. I don't really care if some teens are ticked off at Disney, and I doubt it would hurt Disney's bottom line too much if they enforced proper behavior at the parks and kicked out those groups who were disrupting others.

Just as an FYI, I printed up a similiar thread about these tour groups last year and sent it to Disney letting them know how much of a problem it is. I really don't think Disney cares. All they see are dollar signs.

One night at Epcot, I got really miffed. My wife and I went into Impressions France, and my wife had her video camera out. She was filing the inside of the theatre. Anyways, a CM acme over and asked her to put it away. No problem. The same night, there was a Brazilian tour group yelling, chanting, clapping, dancing all around people while we were waiting for Illuminations. At least half a dozen guests asked them to please keep it down and be respectful. They of course just kept on going. Then some of the guests went to what apeared to be a manager of some sort. He just threw his arms up in the air and did nothing.

It's a shame. It really ruins the magic of being there to me. 99% of guests are respectful, polite and courteous. Then you have these guys. Isn't common couertesy just common sense?

Just as an FYI, I printed up a similiar thread about these tour groups last year and sent it to Disney letting them know how much of a problem it is. I really don't think Disney cares. All they see are dollar signs.

One night at Epcot, I got really miffed. My wife and I went into Impressions France, and my wife had her video camera out. She was filing the inside of the theatre. Anyways, a CM acme over and asked her to put it away. No problem. The same night, there was a Brazilian tour group yelling, chanting, clapping, dancing all around people while we were waiting for Illuminations. At least half a dozen guests asked them to please keep it down and be respectful. They of course just kept on going. Then some of the guests went to what apeared to be a manager of some sort. He just threw his arms up in the air and did nothing.

It's a shame. It really ruins the magic of being there to me. 99% of guests are respectful, polite and courteous. Then you have these guys. Isn't common couertesy just common sense?

Boomhauer, do you have a link to that particular thread? If you don't want to post it publicly, could you please pm it to me? I'd be interested in reading that thread.

Thanks! :goodvibes

With all this talk about Brazilian and Cheerleading groups, I wonder how bad a group of Brazilian Cheerleaders would be?

ETA: With all this fuss about learing the native language of the country you are vacationing in I think I will cancel my dream vacation to Africa. I can ride Kilimanjaro Safari ride with out having to learn Swahili.

You really have to wonder why the tour groups are not more clear to these kids about the rules and how things are in the US. Cultural differences are one thing but when you are in another country you should respect their ways of doing things and follow their rules.

Simple things like making sure the parents AND the kids AND the chaperones know that we stand in line here and that we are not disruptive chanting in another language especially during certain things, that we dont throw our trash on the ground, that we do clear our tables when we are done eating and throw the trash away, that we do flush toilets and wash hands, that we dont run people over etc etc. - at least make an effort and give it to them in WRITING and make them sign it if you must and hold them to it.

I dont know of any other type of tour company that would allow that kind of behavior. My daughters 7th grade class did a tour of Wash DC in April and there were rules to follow and if you didnt there were consequences and that was just in another state!

respectfully disagree.

There were a bunch of them staying at All Star Movies last July. That's my favorite resort. We're staying at Port Orleans this July. I assure you, it's not because we wanted to spend the extra money.
No need to disagree... I said that I couldn't speak for what went on at the resort. I still stand by my initial point, I don't think that the "Brazilians" are any more of a problem than lots of other groups known to tour the parks in groups and stay at the value resorts. If you planned your trip to avoid the Brazilian, cheerleaders, youth sporting competitions, high school marching bands, etc. you wouldn't have a lot of "safe" weeks left to visit WDW.

And for the record we just returned from MK and we saw a group of "yellow shirt" Brazilian teens moving through Fantasyland. There was no chanting, running, shouting, fist fights, line breaking, stampeding, or character abusing witnessed by my family.

So then if WE stop visiting at the time the unruly groups are there and we let Disney know why we will not visit at that time, do you think Disney will get the idea??

We will be in Epcot on July 4th and I am so looking forward to IllumiNations and the special red, white and blue fireworks afterwards. I hope I am no where near any group singing something else while this is going on.

Linda

I would suggest you not sit in the "main area"(i'm sure there is a technical name for it) facing the world showcase lagoon.:thumbsup2

It's my understanding that the Brazilian teen tour groups visit primarily in July. My wife and I honeymooned at WDW in mid July in 1998. Granted that was almost 10 years ago now and things may have changed, but at that time, they (Brazilian tour groups) were all over the place. We probably would not have noticed them at all except for the consant chanting. It was like being at a World Cup Soccer match at all times (and I LOVE soccer!). We stayed in the Tahiti building (Moorea at that time) at the Polynesian and would hear them clearly doing their "Bra-zil, clap-clap-clap" chant as they rode the boat from the TTC to the MK. It seemed like every ride that they were waiting in line for, they had to start up this chant. It became very uncomfortable at times. I'm all for patriotic nationalism but it was just plain strange. I could not imagine going to Germany, for example, with a group of Americans and constantly chanting "USA...USA"-it's just bizarre. Anyone who claims that an aversion to this type of behaviour is in anyway racist is misguided. I couldn't care less if it was a group of white teens from Kentucky loudly chanting "peanut butter, clap-clap-clap" it would be just as weird and rude. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" as the old saying goes. Just because it is acceptable in your neck of the woods does not make it so everywhere. Anyway, we just don't go to WDW in July anymore. We go in mid-August and never encounter these groups.

"DIS-BOARDS!"
CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!
"DIS-BOARDS!"
CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!
"DIS-BOARDS!"
CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!

K - if I get with a group of chanters, who is with me???

Seeya soon!

Boomhauer, do you have a link to that particular thread? If you don't want to post it publicly, could you please pm it to me? I'd be interested in reading that thread.

Thanks! :goodvibes

I don't - I'm sorry. It was a few months ago. You may be able to do a search under Brazilian tour groups and find it though.

boomhauer,

Just out of curiosity to whom did you send the copy of the complaints to ? Could it be that they might not have been sent to the right person at Disney who might be able to take some kind of action regarding this.

Maybe people should start taking video as well to send off to Disney and Disney should be reminded that if they ignore these complaints and do nothing about it, that should someone get hurt in their park due to these groups they would ulitmately be responsible and possibly subject to a wrongful injury lawsuit ?

Could that be possible and could they be held responsible after the fact since it seems so many people have complained about these groups and nothing has been done ?

And what about the travel agencies could they be held responsible if someone got hurt as a direct result of someone/s actions in their party ?

Blessed Be,
Tina

boomhauer,

Just out of curiosity to whom did you send the copy of the complaints to ? Could it be that they might not have been sent to the right person at Disney who might be able to take some kind of action regarding this.

Maybe people should start taking video as well to send off to Disney and Disney should be reminded that if they ignore these complaints and do nothing about it, that should someone get hurt in their park due to these groups they would ulitmately be responsible and possibly subject to a wrongful injury lawsuit ?

Could that be possible and could they be held responsible after the fact since it seems so many people have complained about these groups and nothing has been done ?

And what about the travel agencies could they be held responsible if someone got hurt as a direct result of someone/s actions in their party ?

Blessed Be,
Tina

I sent it to Al Weiss, who at one time was the President of WDWResort. He is now President of Disney Theme Parks. In any event, it went to the excat address for corporate relations. I also sent it UPS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter