Brazilian tour groups...aaargh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also run the other way when I run into tour groups at WDW. But, like others have said, I think it is more the tour group mentality coming out. My DH, DSister and I spent 8 days in Dublin:shamrock: last April and had the misfortune to be on a day long bus tour with a group of about 25 Italian teenagers with only one adult with them. They were all very loud and rowdy and kept throwing soccer balls between them. The bus driver had to keep warning the woman to quiet them down, but she would not speak to them. He finally pulled the bus over and told them if they did not behave he would leave them at the next village and they could find their own way back to Dublin. He got a cheer:cheer2: from everyone else on the bus and quite a few big tips when we got back to Dublin.

My husband and I are both cops. I think it would be REALLY hard not to give a very cop response to someone shoving or line jumping in front of us.

I'm not putting up with that kind of junk, or letting my kids get trampled so some idiot teenagers can run rampant.

SO not ok for Disney to ignore it. We're there the 29th to the 5th, and will be firmly standing our ground where required.

I'm a "foreigner" in Disney, too, lol....but a civilized one.

I lived in Brazil for many years as I was growing up, and I just wanted to say that Brazilian people are some of the sweetest people that I have ever met. As a whole. All that they ever talk about it how much they love the U.S and WDW. So for them to be able to come is a fulfilment of a life long dream. I understand that they get rowdy in the parks and that is not cool at all. But I think that people notice it more because there is a larger group of them. I have seen tons of Americans crowd jump but it was just families so no one said anything about it. And I am sorry that people have been pushed down, but I have been pushed so many times at WDW by Americans who never said sorry or even turned around. Brazilians are just loud people who enjoy life. The culture there is different than it is here. If you went there, they would probably say that you were rude too.

KBlue,

Let me say, with due respect, that I don't agree with your post. Nobody, be either American, Brazilian, Venezuelan or any other nationality has any right to be pushy, rude and/or obnoxious.

“Brazilians are a just loud people who enjoy life”? True, but that, and the fact that they are from a different culture does not give them any right to trample and infright the rights of other persons.

I, too, am from a different culture, one that is nearer the Brazilian one than the American one. I don’t think that should give me any rights to be rude, jump in line or just simply being a nuisance to others.

Benito Juarez, a great Mexican leader, once said: Between individuals, as between nations, "el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz" -- respect for the rights of others is peace".

Best Regards,

Luis

I think you will find this mentalty with any large groups specialy with teens with little or no supervision.I think there Is no diffrents between the Braziln groups,the cheerleaders,pop warner or just any visting group of kids In genreal.
We see the Braziland groups more because ,well they are loud and stand out more!. I do not change my plans just because I see them or and large group. I make it a point to let them know that there causeing the line to back up,and I let the cm's know about it,Its not a automatic that the cm's will not do anything about it,and that these kids are not aware of what there doing,some will actualy say there sorry and go to the end of the line,we are not giving them enough credit. If they do shove,push there way around,Intemdate or just out right be rude we need to take it as far as we can with out cuseing a confertation we alt the CM's right away,if they do not do anything report them along with It.I do not belive Disney wants any one to feel threatend at Disney. We have to avoid a angry confertations,nothing Is going to slove anything when we are mad. Maybe offer a polite suggestion or request to the groups lead or Adult,maybe there unaware of the situation.

If nothing else,take a deep breath and wait it out we will all get there at some point,right.:)

That is 100% EXACTLY it. Disney is more in the business to make money, not make guests visits more comfortable. ;)

You are correct in stating that Disney is in the business of making money. However, in charging what they do for that money they also owe it to their guests that unruly, harmful, and unfair actions of others are treated in a proper matter, not turn the head the other way as they have.

As I said I worked at Cedar Point for two years while in college and I go there at least twice a year. They have a 0 yes I said 0 tolerance to the above behavior. And they also are in the business of making money and also have a reputation as a national attraction being the best park in the world for coasters.

I agreed with the poster who said Cedar Point does a good job controlling line jumpers...I saw three people get kicked out, no refund/no apology when we were there this past June, two for line jumping, one for foul, loud language.

Thanks. And they provide an enjoyable attraction with this policy.

Thanks.
KBlue,

Let me say, with due respect, that I don't agree with your post. Nobody, be either American, Brazilian, Venezuelan or any other nationality has any right to be pushy, rude and/or obnoxious.

“Brazilians are a just loud people who enjoy life”? True, but that, and the fact that they are from a different culture does not give them any right to trample and infright the rights of other persons.

I, too, am from a different culture, one that is nearer the Brazilian one than the American one. I don’t think that should give me any rights to be rude, jump in line or just simply being a nuisance to others.

Benito Juarez, a great Mexican leader, once said: Between individuals, as between nations, "el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz" -- respect for the rights of others is peace".

Best Regards,

Luis

Excellent post. Thank you. Being curtious and respecting another person is a universal language. I have been to several countries and other than Hispanic countries I can't speak one word of their language. But that don't mean I push their children, sit on their stores floors, be loud obnoxious, or disobey their cultures.

And I am not referring to Brazillians. I will not stereotype people They could be Brazillian, French, British, American, or even my own kid, they respect others and do what is right.

I guess I'm just not paying attention when I'm in the parks. :confused3

I have seen many Brazilian tour groups pass me wearing matching shirts, waving their country's flag and sometimes chanting, but I haven't ever been pushed by them, or witnessed them being rude. Can what I see be thought by some to be "rowdy and loud"? I guess so. But the same with some of the highly excited, or screaming children. While they don't really bother me, I'm sure some people think they are "out of control".

I'm hoping now after reading so many negative posts on here about these tour groups that I don't now find myself LOOKING for their bad behavior.

I'm sorry for those of you who have been treated badly by anyone. (I don't want anyone to misunderstand my post as not believing what was previously said)

If anyone wants to start a letter-writing (or email) campaign to Disney to voice concerns over these groups count me in! I wouldn't know where to start, or whom to contact. Like someone else said - yes Disney will most likely do nothing because of the huge money makers these groups are, however, if we inundate them with concerns, maybe they will at least be more aware of what is really going on.

We've encountered the Brazil groups more than once, and on every occassion they were line jumping & pushing, and ignoring anyone who tried to talk to them.

Anyone have a good mail or email address to do this? Or is this just a waste of time...

If anyone wants to start a letter-writing (or email) campaign to Disney to voice concerns over these groups count me in! I wouldn't know where to start, or whom to contact. Like someone else said - yes Disney will most likely do nothing because of the huge money makers these groups are, however, if we inundate them with concerns, maybe they will at least be more aware of what is really going on.

We've encountered the Brazil groups more than once, and on every occassion they were line jumping & pushing, and ignoring anyone who tried to talk to them.

Anyone have a good mail or email address to do this? Or is this just a waste of time...

Not to stop you from contacting Disney, but every year this type of thread surfaces on the Dis. In fact, I was just telling my DH the other day .."It's only a matter of time till we see the Brazilian tour group thread!" Sure enough, here it is. Every year, people comment how they write Disney, talk to managers while at the parks ..etc..etc and it seems like nothing changes.

As others have said, try to go the opposite way of the groups and make the most of your trip. Of course, still contact Disney, but don't expect them to make any major changes any time soon. Money talks....especially in this economy.

i think tara has a good idea...if we all write or email disney..enough of us, maybe, just maybe disney might 'hear' and do something??? i think its worth a shot anyways.

I lived in Brazil for many years as I was growing up, and I just wanted to say that Brazilian people are some of the sweetest people that I have ever met. As a whole. All that they ever talk about it how much they love the U.S and WDW. So for them to be able to come is a fulfilment of a life long dream. I understand that they get rowdy in the parks and that is not cool at all. But I think that people notice it more because there is a larger group of them. I have seen tons of Americans crowd jump but it was just families so no one said anything about it. And I am sorry that people have been pushed down, but I have been pushed so many times at WDW by Americans who never said sorry or even turned around. Brazilians are just loud people who enjoy life. The culture there is different than it is here. If you went there, they would probably say that you were rude too.

Sorry, but while I understand what you're saying, I can't agree with you 100%. When you get a group of 50+ kids together and then let them do pretty much what they want to, things are going to get out of hand. I have met many Brazilians who were wonderful people. You're right...they are fun and full of life. But so am I. And there is no way I would behave the way these kids are behaving. It is not 'full of life' that is making them shove past others in the lines, it isn't being 'full of life' that has them stampeding across the parks, as if they are the only ones there. They come across as very entitled. Their attitudes say that they are there to have fun and fun they will have...even at other's expense.

Now...don't get me wrong. I've been in Epcot in May. Man...that is just nasty. Seems a ton of youth groups head there, school outings. You would think that a group of kids, with their school name on their tee shirts, would have better behaviour. But, they didn't. They pretty much had the same bad behaviour as our Brazilian friends. It was embarrassing to say the least. That same trip, we headed over to Busch Gardens in Tampa, to visit my ds. There were rowdy youth groups there as well. I was very tempted to take down group names and send off letters complaining about their behaviour!!! But, I didn't. I wimped out.

So...long story short....put a bunch of kids together and you have a recipe for disaster. They just seem to adopt a pack mentality, and if you get in their way, well, watch out. You would think that their chaperones would attempt to correct the worst behaviour but that doesn't seem to happen.

Here's my point shortened(ok, not so shortened) and easy to understand.

I don't care what nationality, age, race, creed, color, religion, gender, or planet someone is from. WDW in no way should look the other way with unruleness, line jumping, intimidation, or physical harm to ANY GUEST period. Money talks yes that is true. But just about every other attraction from your local movie theatre to Busch Gardens, Sea World, Cedar Point, Hershey Park do not allow this garbage to go on and make legitimate efforts to stop it. So should WDW.

This is not about teens, countries, and etc. It is about common courtesy to a fellow person. These are all traits that everyone on this planet Earth are capable of performing in any land they stand on. And Walt Disney should enforce these rules.

As I once stated, when my dd was phsically harmed, knocked to the ground and cussed(for the record they were American) and taunted by a grown man in front of Disney CM's this should in no way been accepted, tolerated, or even allowed to continue. Am I unreasonable or expecting to much, no. My money talks just as much as this person's who physically harmed my daughter all for the sake of trying to run out of a park after a freaking fireworks show. :sad2:

We've never actually been there when the tour groups are...but we were there when a bunch of American school groups were on our honeymoon. While waiting in a loooong line at Splash Mountain, this teenage boy 4 + people behind us was being beckoned...by his adult chaperone to cut in front of all of us. The people behind us let him through, but my dh was VERY reluctant to. The guy who let him through behind us got beligerent with my dh for NOT letting the kid though. :confused3 I made light of it and said something about it being the happiest place on earth and to chill out...meanwhile, said teenager got through to his group. These kids were rowdy, rude and doing dangerous stuff (the same kid leaned over the side of our boat and stuck his head in the water:scared: ). I think any group of teens that are not well supervised are going to act out in a similar way. You can either let it bug you, or choose to let it roll off your back. However, if they are pushing, shoving and injuring people in their wake...that should NOT be overlooked.

I think alot of the time people are reluctant to stand up for themselves because, unfortunately, you just know how people are going to react to being stopped. I live in the 'burbs of Chicago, and one of the last times I went to Six Flags Great America in Gurnee as a teen in college, we were in line for the American Eagle. It's a wooden roller coaster....high demand and always a long line. We were standing in line, minding our own business when 3 or 4 guys behind us decided they'd had enough of waiting and started to push on us. A girl with us tried to not get pushed and the guy hauled off and punched her in the face. :sad2: Over a ride. We let them ahead (and noone came to our aid...a group of 3-4 girls...no guys even tried, noone said anything). When we made it up to the front...we told the ride operator, who called SF police (I call them the mounties since they wear similar outfits...or used to). Those guys were pulled off the ride, taken out of the park and we had to go to court about the assault. We had to be taken to our car because they were right outside the gates, waiting for us. Seriously...because we didn't let them line jump. Not meant to scare anyone...but that is probably a very big reason why people don't speak up. Sorry to go off on a tangent. :)

Not all teens are bad...but alot of them get lumped together with the ones that are acting horribly. Some of those kids probably are polite, but the rudeness outshines the kids that actually know how to behave.

Actually, those who think that letter writing and complaining willl fall on deaf ears aren't looking at the whole picture.

Disney IS in the business of making money. If 100 people are creating a bad environment for the other 9900 people in the park, they will do something about it. Apathy and not wanting to rock the boat only lead to more problems. Everyone just thinks that their voice won't make a difference, so they don't say anything at the time. Or the rely on a CM to do something about it on their own.

Put yourself in that single CM's shoes. There you are, monitoring a queue. A group of 30 people suddenly hop the barrier and cut in front of everyone else. You're not likely to want to deal with the hassle if nobody is complaining about it. But if suddenly the next 50 people in line start yelling about the 30 kids cutting, you, as the CM now know you'll be backed up.

Silence is appeasement. If you're not willing to do anything about the problems, then you are, in effect, supporting that behavior.

Back to the business model. If Disney receives 100 complaints about a group of 100 people, they darn well would expel that group from the park. But I'm willing to bet they don't hear enough from the other paying customers. Remember, the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

So, if you see any behavior that is not allowed in the park, absolutely mention it. If everyone did, then Disney would respond, you'ld be surprised. Don't just give up before even trying. I always make sure I point out things like that to CM's, and I always thank them when they actually do something to squash the behavior of jerks.

I quote Bluto Blutarsky, "Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?"

I guess I'm just not paying attention when I'm in the parks. :confused3

I have seen many Brazilian tour groups pass me wearing matching shirts, waving their country's flag and sometimes chanting, but I haven't ever been pushed by them, or witnessed them being rude. Can what I see be thought by some to be "rowdy and loud"? I guess so. But the same with some of the highly excited, or screaming children. While they don't really bother me, I'm sure some people think they are "out of control".

I'm hoping now after reading so many negative posts on here about these tour groups that I don't now find myself LOOKING for their bad behavior.

I'm sorry for those of you who have been treated badly by anyone. (I don't want anyone to misunderstand my post as not believing what was previously said)

This is the post I most agree with. I'm just home today from 3days in the parks. Yes there were an uncountable number of Brazilian tour groups. Yes they were mostly kids. But I witnessed no line jumping and I won't allow them to push past me. I have a very well practiced 'don't even think about it' look and it crosses all language barriers. ;)

They did cause a LOT of problems with the TSM FPs though. A LOT. Passes were out very shortly after opening and I heard many different families complaining about it over the 3 days. They weren't expecting to get to the park at 11am and find no FPs available and a 2hr wait in line. I felt really bad for those families because there were plenty of disappointed kids and parents.:sad2:

Anyway, I didn't stay at resort with them so I guess they were easier for me to deal with. I just toured opposite them and it worked wonderfully.

ETA~ and the character handlers WERE aggressively keeping them from causing troubles with the character meet n greets. I was pretty impressed.

I apologize if my message did not get across right. I wasn't trying to excuse the way that some of the Brazilian tour groups were acting (even though as I reread my first post it did sound like it). I was trying to explain it in some ways in saying that they are just naturally loud people. I was also trying to get the point across that it doesn't matter where you are from. Large groups of people from any country could be rude. Especially kids. So once again, I am sorry if I didn't get the message across right. :)

I have spent the morning browsing the forums and was motivated to regsiter when I saw this thread!

I thought my family was the only ones who intensely dislike the behavior of Brazilians in the parks, I guess not! Our experiences have been quite similar! My wife is the most kindhearted helpful person in the world and when she sees a line that has a group of Brazilian girls in it, she refuses to get in line. The same for restaurants. We now scan the restaurant or dining area for Brazilians and if they're there, we move on.

Completely selfish, inconsiderate and rude. And it's not just some of them - it's all of them. The girls think the world revolves around them and you'd better not do anything about the line cutting or you'll get a nasty earful from them. It's a real shame.

Ironically, in our business, we sell on a website and ship products all over the world. Can you believe we had to completely stop selling to Brazil due to unreasonable and annoying Brazilian customers. No other country in the world, only Brazil!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter