Brave - will my kids be scared?

Darn! I knew we should have stayed! We were in such a time crunch that we ushed out. :sad1:

Us too:rolleyes: Maybe we'll see it again!!

We thought it was very good. I didn't hear any little ones crying. My kids were fine. My youngest is 6, and didn't seem to flinch at all. It was definitely intense at times, though.

I want to take my 5 yr old and 3.5 yr old to see Brave. They have seen countless Disney movies and the only thing I can think of that scares them is the 2nd Little Mermaid movie.

I'm impressed that your kids are only scared of the 2nd LM movie! Even though my kids are okay with that one - they can't watch the regular LM, the Beast, the dragon in Sleeping Beauty or the witch in Snow White. Fortunately we have the Golden Book and a coloring book of Brave, so they already know the storyline and hopefully they won't be too scared by it.

I usually go to the Common Sense Media website for parent reviews of movies. A lot of parents are a bit more sensitive to elements than I am (like for Tangled I knew my kids really wouldn't "get" that a guy was drunk in it, and it didn't bother me at all) but it's a pretty good barometer of what is scary in the film and whether my kids can handle it.

We took an almost 3 year old, 5 year old and 6 year old boys... they all loved it! No issues with being scared of the bear.

And I assumed the PG rating was for the "naked" little boys and mom... Didnt even occur to me it would be from the bears. I didn't think it was that scary!

And I assumed the PG rating was for the "naked" little boys and mom... Didnt even occur to me it would be from the bears. I didn't think it was that scary!

Actually, I think it was primarily the bare-bottomed old guys -- for those who have not seen it, it's a joke about Scots and what is under their kilts.

I also don't think that the rating had anything to do with the violence; I'm pretty sure that it was all about the "partial nudity". (And btw, the mom is always completely covered; she is wrapped in a rug. The only "nudity" you see is bare tushes; usually not something younger kids are shocked by.)

What I would say is to choose your theatre carefully; the one where we saw it had the sound turned up too loud; which made the bears all the more overwhelming. My DD5 was asking to leave, and spent most of the movie on my lap once the bears appeared.

PS: On the way home, DD asked me why the princess wanted to change her feet! With the exception of one of the "suitor" characters, the accent is not played that thickly, but somehow the pronunciation of "fate" confused DD. Of course, the next question out of her mouth was, "Mommy, what's fate?" That was a toughie to explain.

Is it true that there isn't any music?

Remember, this is Pixar, so even though Merida is a "princess", this isn't a Disney Princess musical. However, this are at least two songs with words that I remember off the top of my head, plus general movie scoring.

PS: On the way home, DD asked me why the princess wanted to change her feet! With the exception of one of the "suitor" characters, the accent is not played that thickly, but somehow the pronunciation of "fate" confused DD. Of course, the next question out of her mouth was, "Mommy, what's fate?" That was a toughie to explain.

:rotfl:

Remember, this is Pixar, so even though Merida is a "princess", this isn't a Disney Princess musical. However, this are at least two songs with words that I remember off the top of my head, plus general movie scoring.

Ooh good catch. Yes there's music, but it isn't a musicAL.

But it is a "talky" movie, so even though I know there was other music, the only music I remember was the drumming in the beginning (which was significant to us as I walked down the aisle at our wedding to just the sound of the bodhran drum) and a song during a scene involving fish.

The very very very end wraps up something that was left unfinished (but you don't even realize it's unfinished). It might not be worth a second round of theater prices to see, but once you buy the movie, or if you were going again anyway....

There are 20 songs on the soundtrack album, so I would say that there is music.

There are 3 original songs, two performed by Scottish trad artist Julie Fowlis, and another done by Mumford & Sons with UK artist Birdy. I especially liked the first Julie Fowlis number, Touch the Sky. (It is the piece that is sung when she goes out for her "free day.")

The songs are essentially slightly updated traditional music ... folk music. I don't know how well that will sell with US audiences, but I liked it.

My 2 year old (almost 3) was not scared, and no children had to leave our theatre that I noticed.

And, there are already Brave Meet & Greets at WDW.

My almost six-year-old found it scary, but fun scary and was fine.

I don't want to spoil, but I will vaguely say that I am pleased with the lack of focus on getting a man in this movie. I was happy with Tangled moving in that direction, but this was even better.

Me tooo!!!!!!

I took 3 of my boys on Saturday (neither of my girls wanted to see it :sad2:). They are 4, almost 6, and 9. The 4yo ended up in my lap about 30 minutes into it and stayed there. lol. he was scared and wanted to leave, but I was by myself w/ all 3. he was ok after awhile, but every time an intense scene came on, it was back to my lap. The 6yo loved it, and my 9yo surprisingly declared it "the best movie ever!" ;) The next day, the 4 yo says "I want to go see the bow and arrow movie again!" LOL! I think overall, they loved it. It was a bit scary for him, though.

I was concerned about my kids being scared. They are both sensitive kids. They were both in our laps the entire time. We didn't have to leave the theater. I thought the scenes with the bears were a bit scary, but they were brief. The witch wasn't scary, really, just kinda silly. My 3 year old still didn't like her.

I did really like the story of not needing a prince or man. A refreshing change from almost all the other princess movies. She was a strong character who wasn't the typical princess.

I have to say that it was more intense at the end than I thought it would be. My dd10 loved it, my dd6 and her friends ( 4 & 5 ) enjoyed it, but were scared at the end of the movie with eyes closed and holding on tightly to me and their mom. On the way home, my dd6 was nervous that she would have bad dreams that night. At least one or two kids did get taken out of the theater during the ending scenes.

Dd5 was terrified and wanted to leave. We held on to see if it would get better but she spent most of the movies buried in my chest. I didn't really like it either. My dd declared she never wanted to watch it again and she hoped no one buys it for her, lol.

It is now one of our favorite movies. We loved Merida and her beautiful, wild hair. Our youngest just turned 2 and she did not move the entire movie, the bear did'nt bother her. Our seven year old complained that it was too short, and I agree, it was so good we did'nt want it to end!!!

Saw it today!!! Wow I was happy. It was very much a mother daughter movie. The bear was a bit loud and dd2.5 commented "why is he angry, mommy? " I warned her there would be bears but didn't tell her anything else. A few kids were scared but no one left. We had to go straight to the Disney store where i ended up buying both costume dresses, the triplet brother as bears and the plush doll! I bought Queen Elinor for myself...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter