1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Brave New World

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by disney junky, Apr 2, 2013.

1. disney junky

disney junky BWV

A parent complained about this being taught in an 11th grade enriched English class. Not a huge surprise. It happens. Called the superintendent. The book is on the board approved list of novels and has been since the 1980's. The superintendent asked the principal why this is being taught, and today, the principal came down and stood in the middle of four English teachers and asked, "What is this book about?"

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. abdmom

abdmom DIS Veteran

Not all principals were English majors. :confused3 I've been in the education field for almost 25 years and have never read it.

4. Jafar30

Jafar30 Mouseketeer

Man that's a book I haven't read in years

5. shortbun

shortbun <font color=green>Peacenik<br><font color=purple><

It's Aldous Huxley and it's been read since just after the Great Depression. It stimulates great discussions with intelligent students and adults too. It's about a distopian/utopian society. Science fiction. Pretty darn good and very well written.

6. disney junky

disney junky BWV

English major? We are teaching it in high school. That's where I first read it, 38 years ago.

7. DopeyDame

DopeyDame DIS Veteran

And I hope the four English teachers were able to give her an accurate summary of the book and why it is important and useful in a high school English class.

I certainly don't expect every Principal to be totally conversant in the details of every subject matter in the school. Evidently the Principal hasn't read the book. Maybe her high school read 1984 instead. I don't see the big deal.

8. Jennasis

Jennasis DIS life goes on

Hmmm..honestly not one we read in AP English back in the day (early 90's).

9. Schmeck

Schmeck <font color=blue>Funny thing is now my 17 year old

The principal has never heard of google? Why interrupt what the teachers were doing? Also, why didn't the superintendent just look at the curriculum directory to see why it is taught?

Sounds like a pretty lousy school district to me, or it's being run my monkeys...

10. Praying Colonel

Praying Colonel DIS Veteran

Read it in my sophomore English class :mumbledymumble: years ago. :confused3

11. superme80

superme80 DIS Veteran

That is what I thought. I have never read it, never interested me, but I know it is read in most high schools.

12. Colleen27

Colleen27 DIS Veteran

That was my first thought too. I can understand not recalling much, if anything, about a book that was required reading in high school. I happened to enjoy Brave New World so I remember it and have re-read it, but ask me about All Quiet on the Western Front and you'll get only the vaguest glimmer of recognition out of me. But why interrupt the teachers' workday to ask about it when the information is so easily accessible from any computer? :confused3

13. ford family

ford family DIS Veteran

Awesome deity in Brave New World!

ford family

14. blana

blana DIS Veteran

I'm another one who never read it in high school. While his delivery might have been better, my bet was, he wanted to know what the teachers were teaching about the book, as well as "what is this book about". That's NOT as easy to google. Basically, "how do we answer these questions that are coming from the parents?"

15. Cindy B

Cindy B <font color=blue>Have taken some furniture polish

I read it in either 9th or 10th grade. I liked it. Most of the class had previously read 1984 so we compared the novels.

The book has had significance for a long time. I liked this book much better that 1984.

In my experience, the principals I have worked with have been out of the classroom for a significant amount of time. In addition, there are committee that determine curriculum as well as the significance of the text. In my experience these committees are run by teachers and/or department heads not principals. Of course minutes of these meetings go to the principal, but they are usually filed away.

The best answer to that is to find out the full parent issue.

Our middle school tends to have questions about Flowers for Algernon almost every year. That book has been taught since the 80's.

Now with Common Core, I see more questions like "Why is my child learning this now and my other children didn't. "

16. The Mystery Machine

The Mystery Machine Sunrise at my house. :+)

She would blow a gasket if she knew my 10th grade dd is doing her semester project on the "Church of Satan" for her "advanced language arts research and presentation" (ALARP) class. :lmao:

Or frankly most of the topics in that class. The kids topics are very interesting and very creative.

My dd read that book either last yr or this yr., I can't remember.

17. Ginny Favers

Ginny Favers <font color=green>I told my husband I think they m

You know, I don't like appearing ignorant about anything before I go into a meeting. I do research. I prepare.

The principal knew this was at issue before the meeting. If he had no clue what Brave New World was about, why didn't he just Google it before he met with the teachers to see what it was about and what the possible controversy might be?

18. Sam81

Sam81 Mouseketeer

My children read this as toddlers. I would be questioning why this is being discussed with high school students. Clearly gifted is not the same across states.

19. Holly

Holly <font color=00cc22>Nothing left to do but smile, s

I bet your toddlers really loved that orgy scene.

20. Sam81

Sam81 Mouseketeer

They could relate. As they are not only gifted they are also extremely beautiful children. They have spent their entire lives with scores of women throwing themselves at them.

21. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

:faint::scared1: