Brave Attempt at a First PTR/TR!

BeautyAndTheBeast22

Mouseketeer
I must admit that one of my favorite threads here at Dis is the TR thread. I love being able to enjoy the park through others eyes and experiences. Every year I lurk and every year I tell myself that this is the year that I will post my TR. Well, you lucky people, this IS the year! I am hoping that by posting a PTR I will follow through with the actual TR!

So, without further ado, here goes nothing! :yay:

First a little about the cast members: DH: Chance, DS10: Aidan, DS8: Brennan, DS or DD TBD: Cupcake in the Oven (I will be 13 weeks at the time of our trip). Also along for the trip: My wonderful mother, Kelly and my younger brother Alex.

Every year we take an annual trip to the Land in October. Last year my DH and I decided to spice things up a bit by moving the trip into November so that we could experience Christmastime at Disneyland. This trip seemed so much more magical than previous years and our family loved it. So, we have planned a repeat trip for this year so that my Mom and brother can experience the magic with us!

The dates of travel are: Thursday Nov. 11 through Monday Nov. 15. Our flight will arrive at LAX at 11:50 am and will head home Monday evening at 4:25. We will have a rental car waiting for us. We have discovered that for slightly more than a shuttle for 6 to and from the hotel we can afford a rental car. I prefer the freedom of a rental car and it is also nice to run to the store for snacks/drinks. I will be the chauffeur (the rest of the family freaks out when it comes to California traffic, which I don't mind).

We have booked a suite at the Carousel Inn, which will be a first for us. Last year, since it was just the four of us, we stayed at the GCH. I have a feeling that it will be greatly missed this year!

I am not one to plan things down to the day, hour and minute, but I have already booked the Blue Bayou for lunch on November 13th (this is a must on every trip we take). I have heard that the Carousel Inn provides a continental breakfast, hopefully it will live up to our expectations and save us a little moolah!

This trip, like last years, will be another surprise for our boys. Last year we waited until the morning of the trip to tell them. My boys tend to go through Disney withdrawals and enjoy watching previous vacation videos in the morning before school. DH and I decided to edit one of the videos and place it inside the dvd player knowing that they would get up in the morning and watch it. With our camcorder hidden and rolling the surprise was revealed and both boys were thrilled. Here is a mental image for those of you who were not there: both boys jumped up off of the couch, hands flew up in the air, and DH’s piping hot coffee was spilt everywhere. The thought of this moment still makes me laugh a little. Anyway, I am not sure how we will surprise them this year, but I do know that coffee will not be involved! I may have to go borrow an idea from the KOTS thread :ssst:

As a new dis member/previously a lurker I can’t post pictures as of yet, but trust me they are coming! Only 48 days to go, but who's counting? :hyper:

Welcome to the DIS and congratulations on your decision to delurk. :rotfl:

Your family sounds lovely and I'm sure your trip will be just as lovely. Can't wait to read all about it...and let's get that post count up so you can start posting photos!

Here's a picture of the family from our trip in '08. I had to go back two years because my mother and brother weren't able to join our adventure last year.

(first picture attempt, bear with me!)
l_f64e1c87a5dbdc633209be6f5b2c66e0.jpg

Your family is beautiful!

I second that! I love the shirts you and your DH have on.

I'll be down there around the same time as you. Unlike you, I need to plan everything out. I seriously have DL planning OCD! I'm trying to convince myself to start my own but I tend to not take a lot of pictures so I don't like my TR would be too exciting. But I looking forward to reading your PTR/TR.

I second that! I love the shirts you and your DH have on.

I'll be down there around the same time as you. Unlike you, I need to plan everything out. I seriously have DL planning OCD! I'm trying to convince myself to start my own but I tend to not take a lot of pictures so I don't like my TR would be too exciting. But I looking forward to reading your PTR/TR.

Thank you for the compliments on the family. We are very dysfunctional when all together, which always makes for some crazy, but good memories.

DH and I made the shirts several years ago and love to pull them out for each trip. We also have “Lady” and “Tramp” but they aren’t as popular. My sister and her DH, who make a trip with us about every three years, made shirts that say “Mr. Toad” and “Mr. Toads Wild Ride”. They are amusing, but not exactly DL appropriate.

I am not OCD when it comes to daily schedules, but I am OCD when it comes to planning the traveling aspect. The OCD makes me over analyze everything that is planned including packing the luggage and booking flight, rental cars and hotel reservations. I started packing three months ago and I have re-booked the rental car four times. It is very normal for me to book three to four hotels before settling on the “right” one. Having four hotels booked at once leaves all my options open. This way I don’t feel trapped into staying at the “wrong” one. Call me crazy... I don't mind :rotfl:

So, this being said, I have decided that we will not be staying at the Carousel Inn, but instead the GCH (this being the 3rd hotel I have booked to date). I haven’t told my mother or brother. I know they were both disappointed last year when we stayed without them. We usually split the room cost, but I think we will pay the extra as an early b-day gift to my mom. I can’t wait to see the tears flow when she finds out!! (There better be tears and I mean tears of joy, not tears of what do you mean we are sharing a room and not a suite?!) We shall see!

I'm following along, too. You guys sound like my kind of people, a little off center and loving to live in the moment!!:thumbsup2:upsidedow I would love to stay at the GCH, I just can't justify the cost when all we are using our hotel for is sleeping and showering. Maybe one day when I realllly feel like spoiling my family, after I get my engineering degree and awsome job.:cool1::woohoo:

So, to het a little personal, I'm currently busting my booty to regain a more "respectable" size and doing a good job. I was curious what you do to stay in shape and your hight/build size. I'm 5'8" with a large frame (German geans). I'll completley understand if you tell me to mind my own buisness, but if you feel like sharing. . .

I'm following along, too. You guys sound like my kind of people, a little off center and loving to live in the moment!!:thumbsup2:upsidedow I would love to stay at the GCH, I just can't justify the cost when all we are using our hotel for is sleeping and showering. Maybe one day when I realllly feel like spoiling my family, after I get my engineering degree and awsome job.:cool1::woohoo:

So, to het a little personal, I'm currently busting my booty to regain a more "respectable" size and doing a good job. I was curious what you do to stay in shape and your hight/build size. I'm 5'8" with a large frame (German geans). I'll completley understand if you tell me to mind my own buisness, but if you feel like sharing. . .

"A little off center", that would be putting it mildly! With six of us in a room split four ways (per adult and the kids as one and not two) makes the GCH a little bit more affordable. I am only charging mom and brother what they would have paid for the room at the Carousel Inn. It definitely won't become habit that's for sure! I feel the same way. Being conveniently located is nice, but it gets a bit spendy when you only use it for sleeping/showering.

I don't mind the personal question at all...
As for the workout regimen, I workout two to three times a week. I usually start with the treadmill or elliptical for 3-5 miles and then throw in some light weights. I think being a picky eater helps cut back on calories. I also try to avoid too many carbs. (So what if I come off a little bit out of whack when I pull the top bun off my hamburger!) Several meals/snacks throughout the day, but healthy snacks AND drink lots of h2o! I am hoping to maintain this workout for as long as possible, which might become difficult with a baby on the way. I would just say keep active. Sooner or later your metabolism will catch up and the only way to maintain it is to continue doing what you are doing. You can do it!

Of course this entire routine goes to the crapper once I enter the Land!

Thank you for the compliments on the family. We are very dysfunctional when all together, which always makes for some crazy, but good memories.

DH and I made the shirts several years ago and love to pull them out for each trip. We also have “Lady” and “Tramp” but they aren’t as popular. My sister and her DH, who make a trip with us about every three years, made shirts that say “Mr. Toad” and “Mr. Toads Wild Ride”. They are amusing, but not exactly DL appropriate.

I am not OCD when it comes to daily schedules, but I am OCD when it comes to planning the traveling aspect. The OCD makes me over analyze everything that is planned including packing the luggage and booking flight, rental cars and hotel reservations. I started packing three months ago and I have re-booked the rental car four times. It is very normal for me to book three to four hotels before settling on the “right” one. Having four hotels booked at once leaves all my options open. This way I don’t feel trapped into staying at the “wrong” one. Call me crazy... I don't mind :rotfl:

So, this being said, I have decided that we will not be staying at the Carousel Inn, but instead the GCH (this being the 3rd hotel I have booked to date). I haven’t told my mother or brother. I know they were both disappointed last year when we stayed without them. We usually split the room cost, but I think we will pay the extra as an early b-day gift to my mom. I can’t wait to see the tears flow when she finds out!! (There better be tears and I mean tears of joy, not tears of what do you mean we are sharing a room and not a suite?!) We shall see!

Those shirts are so funny. Mr. Toads Wild Ride :rotfl:

It’s a great idea to keep your options open! I just started packing the other day. I have always packed early for vacations. It just makes the time go by faster. I'm sure with the little ones it helps to get that started earlier.

That’s so sweet of you to decide to stay at GCH for your mother and brother. I’m sure they’ll be happy. And it’s extra nice of you to pay for the difference. I would love to surprise my travelmates (especially my DNephew) with an upgrade to GCH but I’m not sure if I could afford it.

I was going to ask if you were going to get a WOC picnic or dinner package but I guess now that you’re staying at GCH you can just enter early and get the FPs.

We had a suite at the Carousel Inn so a room at the GCH wasn't much more. I thought about WOC dinner/picnic plans but I can't justify what it would cost for all of us. The early entry will hopefully come in handy for WOC passes. Are you going to do a picnic or dinner?

I have a co-worker that leaves today for DL. They have Ariels Grotto reservations, but had to pick between the princess meet-n-greet or WOC passes. Makes sense I suppose. With a 4yr and 1yr old they picked the princess meet-n-greet.

I go back forth between the picnic and dinner. The kids who are going on the trip are a bit picky when it comes to food so I think the picnic might be better since I won't be spending all the money on food they might not eat. Also we're doing the Minnie & Friend's breakfast so that's another expensive meal that I'm paying for. So based on that I'm leaning towards do picnic.

I just thought I would post a few pictures from last years trip in Nov.

Hotel room, view and outside fireplace:
14761_1292486149919_1163244202_30949426_5678812_n.jpg

14761_1292486349924_1163244202_30949428_3556446_n.jpg

12168_1299181637302_1163244202_30967912_1211680_n.jpg

Christmas castle, DL park kitty and my boys waiting for the DCA Pixar Parade:
12168_1299175877158_1163244202_30967894_7820518_n.jpg

12168_1299181597301_1163244202_30967911_4110284_n.jpg

14761_1292520590780_1163244202_30949552_1502166_n.jpg

Another update: We've (meaning "I") have added reservations to the Carnation Cafe for dinner for our arrival day (Nov 11). I really, really, REALLY want some Potato Soup.

Well let's face it.. I am Idahoan with a cupcake in the oven and I just might die without it. Okay, fine maybe the word "die" might be a little harsh, but it is possible isn't it? The thought of this soup has been giving me cravings for the past 2 weeks. I know I didn't help matters by searching out pictures on Dis. Let's hope I can last another 6 weeks!

Another update: We've (meaning "I") have added reservations to the Carnation Cafe for dinner for our arrival day (Nov 11). I really, really, REALLY want some Potato Soup.

Well let's face it.. I am Idahoan with a cupcake in the oven and I just might die without it. Okay, fine maybe the word "die" might be a little harsh, but it is possible isn't it? The thought of this soup has been giving me cravings for the past 2 weeks. I know I didn't help matters by searching out pictures on Dis. Let's hope I can last another 6 weeks!

You do know the recipe for that soup is floating around here on the DIS, right?

Yes and I have it, but it's just not the same. We made Monte Cristos with the recipe out of the Cooking with Mickey and the Disney Chefs cookbook on Saturday night. They taste exactly the same as the BB Monte Cristo, but without the magic. Maybe it's all in my head.. wouldn't surprise me :rotfl:

A little bored and very excited. So, I thought I would post a few pictures from our 2008 vacation, which was the last trip we took as a party of 6. I believe we stayed at the PPH for this vaca.

n1163244202_30408958_1685331.jpg

DH goofin' outside of Indy

20533_1347938816201_1163244202_31108557_4289138_n.jpg

Typical picture mom gets when she yells "smile" at any random moment.

20533_1347938896203_1163244202_31108559_2283181_n.jpg

Brothers turn to goof. I think this was the sugar overload day

n1163244202_30408922_4041275.jpg

DS's, 8 and 6 at the time, with M-I-C-K-E-Y

n1163244202_30408923_3291221.jpg

Yay for Space Mtn. Mom refuses to ride bc it makes her sick. I love Brennan's hair in this picture.

n1163244202_30408924_7735424.jpg

Boy was Brennan happy to run into Wall-e. I know you can't tell by the smile on his face..

n1163244202_30408927_6263877.jpg

Aidan's turn to goof

n1163244202_30408935_7597864.jpg

Unoffical Gay Day at DLR

n1163244202_30408937_4817588.jpg

Brennan learning how to make swan balloon animals on the way to Cali. He studied this page for atleast 10 minutes. Gotta love inflight reading materials!

n1163244202_30408954_7801034.jpg

Family photo with Pluto. Gotta love Chase Disney Card Character Meet-n-Greets

n1163244202_30408957_3024255.jpg

DH and I

So cute....great photos. I really love the Mark Twain photo with all that red. Hard to believe that is "unofficial"!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter