Branson Missourri

lvillotta1

Mouseketeer
We will be spending some time in the Ozarks this summer as a famioly member bought a lake home.
I have never been so I am looking for suggeations of what we should do. My girls are 7&11. We have housing and food all covered. So our biggest expense would be SDC,water park,shows and an occasional eating out. We plan on buying SDC passes for the summer and this includes the water park also. I am sure there are also some free and inexpensive thigs to do too. Thanks for any suggestions.

I've been a few times. However, I go for the fishing on Taneycomo and Table Rock. There is plenty of things to do, see, and they have theme park there. I have never been to it but I hear it is very nice. People are very friendly and there seems to be a car show, veterans parade, or something going on just about every weekend or other all within 20 minutes no matter where you are staying.

The fish hatchery is good for an our of free fun. Sightseeing is as well. Most other stuff will have a price attached. Since you have passes, you might try White Water at night. The final 2 hours of operation, the lines REALLY clear out. It's not terrible during the day, but most rides become walk-on after supper :)

Make sure that you get a map showing the colored routes because traffic can get crazy. We love Branson. If you go to shows, our kids really enjoyed SIX (a group of brothers that sing acapella), Clay Cooper, and the Cat's Pajamas. They also liked the Titanic Museum. There is also a message board for Branson if you search online. I don't think it will let me post it on here.

Our favorite activities were riding bikes at Dogwood Canyon Nature Park (so pretty!) and their tram tour; Dixie Stampede; and the National Tiger Sanctuary just north of Branson. My niece is currently working at the sanctuary.

Not in the immediate area, but when we left we stopped by the Laura Ingalls Wilder home in Mansfield. My girls wore their prairie dresses and bonnets.

One item overlooked at SDC is the cave tour. It's included in the price of admission - and well worth the time to go (just wear sneakers).

There is a beautiful art museum not too far from Branson called Crystal Bridges museum (in Bentonville, Arkansas). There is no admission fee for the permanent collections, special exhibits have a small fee.

There is a Disney Outlet in the outlet mall - always fun to browse!

Of course there are many zip-line courses, go-karts, an IMax theater, etc. Here are a couple links to some discounted sites that we have used before:

http://www.halfpriceozarks.com/deal/springfield

https://www.groupon.com/browse/spri...=-93.3126&address=65807&category=things-to-do

http://dealsonbranson.com/shows/disneys-little-mermaid/

Ride the ducks
Dixie Stampede
Ripley
You can walk the landing
College of the Ozark has a nice museum

If you're willing to drive a bit, Springfield has a nice little zoo (~$35 for a family of 4, free parking) and the Bass Pro Shop World Headquarters.

Ride the ducks
Dixie Stampede
Ripley
You can walk the landing
College of the Ozark has a nice museum

The C of O museum and campus is nice. Of course, I say that as an alum who spent three years there. There also is (or at least was when I was there) a nice restaurant at the entrance to campus.

Branson Landing has good shopping a few places to eat and has a water fountain show at certain times of day and night.

One of my favorites is The Shepherd of the Hills homestead. They run a production of the show during evening's in the summer, but just the homestead is pretty nice too.

If you're willing to drive a bit, Springfield has a nice little zoo (~$35 for a family of 4, free parking) and the Bass Pro Shop World Headquarters.

If you are a member of a local zoo, check their reciprocity chart. I.E. St. Louis zoo membership gives the Springfield zoo patrons a 100% free entry.

I lived and performed there for 10 years. It's a great place to raise a family or retire. But not a place to make any money which is why I left. SDC is your best bang for your buck. Stay for the evening Ecohollow show. Great show. I just heard rumour that the Shepard of the hills play has re opened. Which is a great outdoor play that tells you the history of the area. They also have tours and such to do throughout the day. In the event just drive down the strip and stop in at one of the many Go cart and mini golf spots. they are always fun. The landing is a fun place to relax and shop they also have a water/fire show similiar to the ones at the belagio in Vegas. It was in fact designed and built by the same people. Big Cedar Lodge is a very pretty area to drive thru and of course Table rock lake is amazing. It's hard to find a horrible show in Branson. But I am partial to A lil show in the IMAX Theatre called Smoke on the Mountain. (Maybe cause I was a part of it for 5 years) It's a Gospel/Comedy Musical... It's played at the lambs theatre for 8 years or so. Hope this helps. Have fun. But yes, SDC is a must btw... Full day of fun

We enjoy going to the Branson Landing Prommenade in the evenings. We eat dinner and get the ice cream from the marble slab place and site and watch the fountain( really cool shoots water and fire to music every so often). There is shopping and a lot of times street performers. Just kind nice to hang out.

Also, this Summer the "Broadway at Branson". Will have The Little Mermaid Broadway show on stage. We are going in June.

If you like fishing there is a lot of places to go.

If you are a member of a local zoo, check their reciprocity chart. I.E. St. Louis zoo membership gives the Springfield zoo patrons a 100% free entry.

Good tip! Although, just FYI in case you ever go there, admission to the St Louis Zoo is free :)

Love Branson!
Be sure to hit SDC, The Sight & Sound Theatre, Dixie Stampede, and Dick's Old Time 5 & 10.

Love Branson!
Be sure to hit SDC, The Sight & Sound Theatre, Dixie Stampede, and Dick's Old Time 5 & 10.

OP, while I haven't been to Branson, I have been to the Sight & Sound Theatre in Lancaster, PA several times. I'm coordinating another group trip for next year to see Samson. If you haven't been, you should definitely go! Their shows are amazing and fantastic. Sometimes I wonder how they are going to pull off a certain scene and it just blows my mind once I see it! If you want to check it out, their web site is www.sight-sound.com. Branson should be doing Moses right now, since PA is doing Joseph at the moment.

We are headed to Branson and St. Louis also. What shows are recommended for a 4 and nearly 7 year old?

Hi! I would encourage to search the site here as there have been some previous threads on this subject with great information! This is the one I've most recently commented on and I think should also link back to a prior one:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/branson-mo-planning-advice.3391994/#post-53294533

As an update to those, we have most recently seen SIX, Pierce Arrow and The Osmonds since March of this year. I'm taking my daughter to Rick Thomas tonight so I'll try to remember to come back and update on that. As a family (small though it is, I have a teen son and daughter) we LOVE SIX and we thought they'd stepped up their game a bit this year! Pierce Arrow we have enjoyed in the past but were disappointed this year. I don't mind Christian music but the whole show seemed geared that way this time with the exception of the female soloist who sang some more current hits (Let it Snow, etc). YMMV. The Osmonds at Andy Williams Moon River Theatre I have to say I was a bit apprehensive but am happy to report we were pleasantly surprised! The comedian was good and the Osmonds kept the show moving with lots of great and familiar music. My 13 year old daughter enjoyed it as well.

Silver Dollar City is always a good bet and if you do get season passes check the discounts that come with that (i.e. Showboat, Dixie Stampede, Ride the Ducks).

My daughter and I drove down last night for a little girls time. Lots of sales at Tanger outlets this weekend. We landed by chance at the restaurant next to Gilly's Theatre (where SIX perform) for a late dinner. It was closed briefly and has now reopened as Shindigs. Not really planned but we had the nicest waiter, the food was good and we enjoyed some live music. The special was a salad, small steak and baked potato for $10 and my daughter had a giant hamburger that was juicy and delicious she claimed. If you stop in, ask for Josh as your waiter! ;) Danna's is one of our favorite places to eat. They serve a great BBQ! If you're looking for breakfast or brunch try Billy Gail's down the street from SDC but arrive early and be prepared to hunt for parking and wait to be seated.

Skippy, your little ones would love Dixie Stampede! Ride the Ducks were always popular with my kiddos when they were those ages. The water/fire show at the Landing is free and entertaining as has been mentioned. And always popular are the many track go-karts and mini-golf places all along the 76 strip. I haven't seen it but Jonah is playing at the Sight and Sound Theatre and hear they do a good job.

Skippy also asked about St. Louis. The Zoo, Art Museum and Science Center are all free. I would HIGHLY recommend the Science Center for your little ones. Others have commented about the zoo and reciprocity. We like to hang out in the penguin house ;) The other place my kids LOVED in St. Louis was the City Museum (think that's the name) It's in a big warehouse with a bus on top of the building and a weird hodgepodge of different activities, sights and such inside and outside. Things like tunnels and overhead runs on one floor, circus acts, a small train, a skateboard type area the kids can run around in, metal sculptures to climb around outside. Just a lot of different activities that will keep everyone busy for lots of time. (Been awhile since we were there but I can't imagine it's any less fun now ;) )

Happy to answer any questions...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter