Brand new to cruising... am I crazy?

Butler_chic07

Mouseketeer
My husband and I have wanted to take a Disney Cruise for a while now. We are thinking of planning a "last" minute cruise in July. He just switched jobs and they approved a vacation, for my last week of summer break (I'm a teacher)... It gets even more complicated. We are expecting. I'll be about 25 weeks pregnant. So I have lots of questions and am hoping you might be able to help me out!

We are thinking about taking a 5 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream (it's the only one that fits our schedule). The itinerary has 2 stops at Castaway Cay and 1 at Nassau.

1) Has anyone else ever cruised while pregnant? Am I crazy. Of course if the doctor says no at any point we'd not go. Trip insurance is going to be a must for us this time.
2) Is there enough on the ship to keep us occupied? Are we going to feel as if we are missing out by only going to 2 places?
3) What did you do on the 1st day after you boarded the ship, before it casts off?
4) Is it best to book the cruise directly through Disney? (I know you can't really share suggestions on where to book it through), but a yes or no at least gives me some idea.
5) We plan to stay after the cruise at WDW using our DVC. Will Magical Express take us there after the cruise?

Usually I'd embrace the "unknown", but being pregnant I'm a little more scared of really having no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this.... These are just a few of the largest questions rolling around inside my head at the moment. I'll be forever grateful to those who want to share their guidance and expertise with me!

Thank you! Thank you!

Is there enough on the ship to keep us occupied? Are we going to feel as if we are missing out by only going to 2 places?

Yes lots of activities not just the pools but movies and mixology drink tasting and bingo and shows.

Search, navigators for your cruise length you will see.

3) What did you do on the 1st day after you boarded the ship, before it casts off?

Pool, slides, walk around eat at Cabanas, sun bath, enjoy the ship, meet friends.

4) Is it best to book the cruise directly through Disney? (I know you can't really share suggestions on where to book it through), but a yes or no at least gives me some idea.

Best to book with a TA to get advice, and on board credits -money back on your stateroom account, you do not loose any control but you gain spending money and experience to support you.

5) We plan to stay after the cruise at WDW using our DVC. Will Magical Express take us there after the cruise?

Magic express takes you to/from MCO and to/from WDW.

DCL coaches but be booked and paid for for WDW>Port>WDW and MCO>Port >MCO

My husband and I have wanted to take a Disney Cruise for a while now. We are thinking of planning a "last" minute cruise in July. He just switched jobs and they approved a vacation, for my last week of summer break (I'm a teacher)... It gets even more complicated. We are expecting. I'll be about 25 weeks pregnant. So I have lots of questions and am hoping you might be able to help me out!

We are thinking about taking a 5 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream (it's the only one that fits our schedule). The itinerary has 2 stops at Castaway Cay and 1 at Nassau.

1) Has anyone else ever cruised while pregnant? Am I crazy. Of course if the doctor says no at any point we'd not go. Trip insurance is going to be a must for us this time.
2) Is there enough on the ship to keep us occupied? Are we going to feel as if we are missing out by only going to 2 places?

Usually I'd embrace the "unknown", but being pregnant I'm a little more scared of really having no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this.... These are just a few of the largest questions rolling around inside my head at the moment. I'll be forever grateful to those who want to share their guidance and expertise with me!

Thank you! Thank you!

One issue I see here is your comment about being 25 weeks pregnant. DCL doesn't allow you to cruise if "Women who have entered their 24th week of pregnancy as of their embarkation date or who will enter their 24th week of pregnancy during the cruise will be refused passage due to safety concerns. Neither a physician's medical statement nor a waiver of liability will be accepted. In addition, Disney Cruise Line cannot be held responsible or liable for any complications relating to pregnancy at any stage."
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/terms-and-conditions/?country=us

You wouldn't be able to cruise at 25 weeks.

Congrats on your pregnancy but you will have to pass on the cruise until a later date.

As others mentioned you can't be past 23 weeks. I know it sounds crazy but we planned our pregnancy around our cruise so I was only 22 weeks. I got a doctor's note in case. Even my OB who specializes in high risk pregnancies said it was absolutely ridiculous that a cruise ship would deny someone at 24 weeks. No one ever asked or checked (there are a lot of heavy set cruisers could you imagine CMs asking every woman who has a protruding tummy if they were pregnant?) The only time you are asked about pregnancy is on the online check in. But then again better be safe than sorry (and out a ton of money).

Cruising while pregnant was amazing. It felt so good to swim and take a break from the pressure from the "baby bump". DD is almost 5 so it was so nice not having to cook, clean, or entertain her ;). The room was close by if I needed a rest, there were plenty of yummy non-alcoholic frozen drinks (LOVED the Olaf stand at CC), and it was the first cruise I didn't have to diet or do two-a-day workouts for ;)

Thank you! Thank you!
1) I have never, how far along are you, if your safe to fly then I would guess your safe to cruise, you should ask who you look with
2) Yes - lots to do, super fun! and I don't think you will be missing out on anything
3) We usually eat, swim and unpack, there is a cool deck party
4) I myself only book through Disney, some others like a travel agent, but if you book through a travel agent they have control of your reservation not you
5) yep you just have to add it onto your reservation
Have fun!!!

I'm almost positive that trip insurance doesn't cover anything pregnancy related.

It absolutely would not if you're past the timeframe that DCL states. If you lie about it and anything goes wrong, your insurance will definitely not cover it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter