Brad Paisley: gentleman

The hat thing, it's common courtesy and I read on these boards everyday, people complaining about kids not learning right from wrong, morals, work ethic and so forth. Men wearing a hat in a building other than the hardware store type of place or in a performance, is improper ettiquette and a sign of lack of instruction on being a gentleman. All the men I know take their hats off. Just like we complain about young women dressing like hussies(or worse words), the hat thing...boys should be taught to take their hats off and call their elders Ms. Jones and Mr. Jones unless given permission otherwise. There are lots of other things they should know too. My mother was a lady. When she died, every single person who attended her memorial said, 'your mother always acted like a lady or with poise.' Why not wish that for ourselves and the men in our lives? Not such a bad legacy, eh?

I think that is just ridiculous to place that much emphasis on a hat. :confused3

I care very much about morals and manners. I care about etiquette when it actually impeeds someone else. However whether someone is wearing a hat or not does not harm me or mess with my happiness in any way. We all have our different things that bother us. Hat etiquette just isn't something I care about.

Agreed!

I missed the show, but I will say that I love, love, love Brad Paisley and his music. He's so talented. I went to his concert this past fall and it was one of the best that I've ever been to.

I missed the show, but I will say that I love, love, love Brad Paisley and his music. He's so talented. I went to his concert this past fall and it was one of the best that I've ever been to.
Agreed!! I have seen him twice, and he is amazing!!

I did know Brad Paisley is one heck of a picker and now I know he is a nice guy with manners.

The hat thing has always been a pet peeve of mine. It's proper manners for a man to take his hat off inside, but then manners don't seem to be much of a part of society these days. The hats on backwards is just another stupid thing that some guys think is cool, unless, of course, they are catchers and need to accommodate a catcher's mask. Otherwise they are just idiots, in my opinion, of course. :rolleyes1

:thumbsup2

This totally drives my DH up the wall.

I love Brad Paisley! He is one of my favorites. He was the Grand Marshall of one of the Mardi Gras parades I went to about 6 or 7 years ago (before he was huge) and he threw me Mardi Gras beads! I was so excited.

Also the hat thing reminds me of when my two Aunts came to visit when I was still in highschool. She is definitely one of the "miss manners" type people. This was the first time she met my boyfriend (now fiance) and he was wearing a baseball hat when he was inside our house. A couple months later I went to visit and she told me "Ryan seems like a nice guy, but I would like him so much more if he would take his hat off when he's inside" :rotfl::rotfl: At the time I had NEVER heard that "rule" before. To me it's like if you are judging someone's character by whether he is wearing a hat or not that says a lot more about you than it does them.

I love Brad Paisley! He is one of my favorites. He was the Grand Marshall of one of the Mardi Gras parades I went to about 6 or 7 years ago (before he was huge) and he threw me Mardi Gras beads! I was so excited.

Also the hat thing reminds me of when my two Aunts came to visit when I was still in highschool. She is definitely one of the "miss manners" type people. This was the first time she met my boyfriend (now fiance) and he was wearing a baseball hat when he was inside our house. A couple months later I went to visit and she told me "Ryan seems like a nice guy, but I would like him so much more if he would take his hat off when he's inside" :rotfl::rotfl: At the time I had NEVER heard that "rule" before. To me it's like if you are judging someone's character by whether he is wearing a hat or not that says a lot more about you than it does them.

So, which mores/rules of ettiquette do you follow? Do you say thank you? How about please? Do you step aside or stand when an elderly person needs a seat or to walk by? Do you arrive on time? Do you spit on the street? Do you talk with your mouth full? Do you crack your gum? Are you kempt, clean nails-clean hair-clean clothes? Do you like it when a guy walks on a public street with no shirt on? How about swearing in public-is that ok? Do you cut in line at the movies? Public drunkeness ok? There is a real apathy for what used to be the rules of decent behavior. Seems no one has heard of them. Whatever. I'm still running my life old style and happy with it.

So, which mores/rules of ettiquette do you follow? Do you say thank you? How about please? Do you step aside or stand when an elderly person needs a seat or to walk by? Do you arrive on time? Do you spit on the street? Do you talk with your mouth full? Do you crack your gum? Are you kempt, clean nails-clean hair-clean clothes? Do you like it when a guy walks on a public street with no shirt on? How about swearing in public-is that ok? Do you cut in line at the movies? Public drunkeness ok? There is a real apathy for what used to be the rules of decent behavior. Seems no one has heard of them. Whatever. I'm still running my life old style and happy with it.

Oh yeah, public drunkeness and cutting in line at the movies are in the same category as wearing a hat indoors.

I just got back from a function at my DD's high school for graduating seniors and there were probably 10 men in there wearing cowboy hats, not a big deal.

No that's totally fine you can run your life anyway you like. I just didn't understand why my aunt thought she had any right to say that that he shouldn't be wearing his hat. We were at my parent's house they were totally fine with (heck my dad wears his hat inside 90% of the time). If it were her house I can kind of see it. I just thought that it was funny that she judged his character from whether or not he wore a hat. It just seems bazarre to me. It wasn't like it was a black tie affair he had just gotten off of work at 4:00 in the afternoon.

I enjoy most of his songs...but get annoyed by his guitar playing...granted, he has skills...but it's like every song of his has his incessant picking style deedle-deedle-deeing in the background...with the obligatory guitar solo...ala Van Halen...every song sounds too much alike in those regards...

I could care less when a man is wearing a hat - inside or out - no problem. I just can't look at a guy with a hat on inside or at a restaurant and think they are disrespectful. That just doesn't cross my mind.

I hate country music, but I really like Brad Paisley.... not his music (blech) but who he seems to be. I highly doubt I would have even noticed that he took his hat off.

Do you like it when a guy walks on a public street with no shirt on?

Ummmm, yes, please! Okay, depends on the guy, I suppose. But is this something you aren't supposed to do? Who knew??

I just can't look at a guy with a hat on inside or at a restaurant and think they are disrespectful. That just doesn't cross my mind.

This. I wouldn't even notice.

I hate country music, but I really like Brad Paisley.... not his music (blech) but who he seems to be...

Ummmm, yes, please! Okay, depends on the guy, I suppose. But is this something you aren't supposed to do? Who knew??

It's NEVER the cute, well built guy is it? But yeah, it used to be that a man should have his shirt on when away from home, even outside. Still is at my house. My guys take their shirts off in the back yard shooting hoops but not in the front yard-in public. Obviously, the swimming pool would be an exception but pull on that t-shirt when you're leaving. Lots of young people have missed this information, I get it. I grew up being taught that most of this behavior was low class, crude, thoughtless and disrespectful to your fellow man/woman. As a society, with our population growing and stress increasing, we should be trying to be as polite and kind to each other as possible. Living in an 'anything goes' society just doesn't promote peaceful existence, imho. I'm going to show as much respect to my fellow man as possible and when we lose these social niceties, what do we have - how do we do this? If you watch guys like Jay-Z, Sean Combs, Fifty-Cent..even they know how to show respect and behave when they are not on stage or performing in some way. Some people might think it's a rich versus poor thing.
During the Great Depression, the people who were down and out, had lost everything, hung on to social structure and polite behavior. It's about values.

So-all of you who say you'd never heard of these 'rules of etiquette' have now heard of them. You should tell your sons and husbands that in a polite society-some people expect them to take off their hats-JUST like they should when the flag of this country goes by or The Star Spangled Banner is played/sung.

It's NEVER the cute, well built guy is it? But yeah, it used to be that a man should have his shirt on when away from home, even outside. Still is at my house. My guys take their shirts off in the back yard shooting hoops but not in the front yard-in public. Obviously, the swimming pool would be an exception but pull on that t-shirt when you're leaving. Lots of young people have missed this information, I get it. I grew up being taught that most of this behavior was low class, crude, thoughtless and disrespectful to your fellow man/woman. As a society, with our population growing and stress increasing, we should be trying to be as polite and kind to each other as possible. Living in an 'anything goes' society just doesn't promote peaceful existence, imho. I'm going to show as much respect to my fellow man as possible and when we lose these social niceties, what do we have - how do we do this? If you watch guys like Jay-Z, Sean Combs, Fifty-Cent..even they know how to show respect and behave when they are not on stage or performing in some way. Some people might think it's a rich versus poor thing.
During the Great Depression, the people who were down and out, had lost everything, hung on to social structure and polite behavior. It's about values.

So-all of you who say you'd never heard of these 'rules of etiquette' have now heard of them. You should tell your sons and husbands that in a polite society-some people expect them to take off their hats-JUST like they should when the flag of this country goes by or The Star Spangled Banner is played/sung.

You'd hate me, once the temp hist about 40 - 45 I run without a shirt. I was unaware that my fitness routine marked the end of society.

I think there is a bit of a difference between head coverage and anarchy. I think there are a couple of steps missing between wearing a hat under a roof and raping and pillaging neighboring towns after a return to a society full or waring city-states.

Personally I think there are some rules of etiquette that are useful (saying thank you, holding doors) and some that are outdated and no longer relevant. The wearing of hats falls under the later.

Really? So everyone is supposed to adhere to YOUR rules of etiquette?

I'm all for manners and that type of thing, but please, don't impose your rules on others.

I've certainly heard about the etiquette rule, but it just doesn't make sense any more, although I can't see how it really ever did. Whether or not someone has a hat on their head has nothing to do with how respectful they feel.

As a society, with our population growing and stress increasing, we should be trying to be as polite and kind to each other as possible.

I agree with that completely. I just don't think that following etiquette rules that may or may not have been relevant at some point in time falls into that category.

I'd much rather have the friends who I can call at 2am because my heart is breaking or who will drive 40 miles in a rain storm to help me change a tire over the girl who puts on a show of raising her pinky in the air when she drinks her tea or the guy who takes off his baseball cap in my house.

Being polite to me isn't about following rules that make no sense. I think a lot of etiquette rules are all about putting on a show to make it LOOK like you're being polite and kind. I find a lot of it to be incredibly fake.

That doesn't mean I think Brad Paisley was putting on a show when he took his hat off. But it doesn't affect my opinion of him, either. I think he's a nice guy and my opinion of that would change if he beat his wife... not if he had left his hat on.

You'd hate me, once the temp hist about 40 - 45 I run without a shirt. I was unaware that my fitness routine marked the end of society.

I think there is a bit of a difference between head coverage and anarchy. I think there are a couple of steps missing between wearing a hat under a roof and raping and pillaging neighboring towns after a return to a society full or waring city-states.

Personally I think there are some rules of etiquette that are useful (saying thank you, holding doors) and some that are outdated and no longer relevant. The wearing of hats falls under the later.

:thumbsup2

Brad Paisly , is one of my favorite country singers, even my dh likes him and he is not a country music fan.
As for the hat thing , I live in an oil/farming area not to mention it is Winter 6+ months out of the year and hats are just a way of life, here men are considered dressed up if they are not in their coveralls :lmao: , so a hat indoors just doesn't bug me. I worked in restaurants for years and having a hat on or taking it off, or not wearing one at all sure had no bearing on how respectful they were towards me.

Brad Paisly , is one of my favorite country singers, even my dh likes him and he is not a country music fan.
As for the hat thing , I live in an oil/farming area not to mention it is Winter 6+ months out of the year and hats are just a way of life, here men are considered dressed up if they are not in their coveralls :lmao: , so a hat indoors just doesn't bug me. I worked in restaurants for years and having a hat on or taking it off, or not wearing one at all sure had no bearing on how respectful they were towards me.
Around here you still sometimes see the older farmers and ranchers in town and they will wear their hats when they go into the stores or old cafes. They do all seem to take their hats off at functions and church services though.

I think that etiquette is nice when it affects people in a good way. I don't see how wearing or not wearing a hat has any effect on anyone though.

I'm sorry, but this whole :snooty: attitude has me :lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:.

I don't live my life by other people's so-called "rules". :thumbsup2

A bit of a LEAP to say wearing a hat indoors = anarchy, dontcha' think? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter