Boys & "Princess Envy"

CoopTroop6

Dreaming of Dole Whips...
Well, maybe not envy of all princesses - just one in particular...their princess:SISTERprincess:! :rotfl: Actually, I'm not sure this will even be an issue, but I'm trying to be prepared! We're taking our 3 sons & 1dd to the world in a couple of weeks. My 6yo dd is a princess nut, and I was planning on letting her wear a princess dress (or 2 :rolleyes1) during the trip. Actually, I'm planning 2 princess dresses and 2 very girly outfits that she already owns (frilly pettiskirts w/leggings). Sadly, my boys are very used to their sister being all dolled up while they exist (happily) in shorts & tshirts and it's never bothered them. I'm just wondering if - being surrounded by Disney magic - if they'll sudden;y be jealous of her her special duds? I'd get them special outfits too, but I don't think any of them would be to keen on the idea. Does anybody else have any experience w/this?

I think that the boys will be so into what ever it is they are into that it will not even bother them.

CoopTroop6 said:
Well, maybe not envy of all princesses - just one in particular...their princess:SISTERprincess:! :rotfl: Actually, I'm not sure this will even be an issue, but I'm trying to be prepared! We're taking our 3 sons & 1dd to the world in a couple of weeks. My 6yo dd is a princess nut, and I was planning on letting her wear a princess dress (or 2 :rolleyes1) during the trip. Actually, I'm planning 2 princess dresses and 2 very girly outfits that she already owns (frilly pettiskirts w/leggings). Sadly, my boys are very used to their sister being all dolled up while they exist (happily) in shorts & tshirts and it's never bothered them. I'm just wondering if - being surrounded by Disney magic - if they'll sudden;y be jealous of her her special duds? I'd get them special outfits too, but I don't think any of them would be to keen on the idea. Does anybody else have any experience w/this?

My DD always dressed in her princess dresses. I even had her hair done at the BBB. DS never cared. I bought him Disney shirts to wear and as long as he had his fill of popcorn and mickey bars, he was good to go.

Take them to Pirates League! It is the best way to let the boys get involved. A lot of little boys love getting their pirate name and clothes. If not the pirates league dress them as pirates yourself or let them wear something Marvel or even Jake (from Jake and the Neverland Pirates) or Toy Story. The cast members will feed off of it and will acknowledge everyone and not just the little princes.

I have also seen little boys who dress like the prince to their daughters princess.

DS just rolls his eyes when DD gets all dressed up. Never bothered him. I'm sure the boys prefer to be dressed casual and comfortable. If you want to do something special for the boys, take them to the Prate League for a make over. Boys from my experience are a lot less interested in the clothes/appearance aspect of Disney.

My DS7 was very upset that his twin sister got a pink parasol at BBB. Even though he had gotten the knight package, he was upset that there was no tshirt for boys and the pink parasol caused a meltdown. DS has high functioning autism and adores the princesses as much as his sister. As twins they are very close and he often dresses up in her costumes to play along with her.

I have an only child, so I'm not really up on sibling rivalry. I would think that your sons may have less of an issue about how she is dressed than the extra attention you are giving to your little Princess.

robinb said:
I have an only child, so I'm not really up on sibling rivalry. I would think that your sons may have less of an issue about how she is dressed than the extra attention you are giving to your little Princess.

Makes sense to me.

Just let them pick out the t-shirt you are going to buy them, or the shorts of hat or whatever. It is the same principle, whenthey eat do they get jealous that your daughter has chicken nuggets and they have a hamburger? No, they just pick what they want and eat it and enjoy it. It's the same thing, they won't even notice, especially since you say they are used to her getting all dressed up. There is plenty for everyone to do boy or girl and I'm sure at that age they will have a great time no matter what.

I think it's a perfect chance to teach little boys how to treat all girls like a princess. Will sure come in handy when you want them to treat their dates with respect in a few year. I have all boys. Now, certainly don't play favoritism but giving them different things is not that at all. Give them shirts in their favorite characters and if you allow your DD to do BBB or another special activity, of course let them choose something as well. If they want to choose to take part in the princess dress up etc, that is a very personal choice as to whether to allow it or not and only one you can make. I will say that my views on the subject changed totally from the time my 20 year old was little to now with a 6 year old, though it was never a desire of either of my boys.

The cast members will feed off of it and will acknowledge everyone and not just the little princess.

This is really what I wanted to know! :goodvibes I'm pretty sure the boys won't care - I just don't want them to feel less special. I have made t-shirts for all of them w/their favorite characters (although I don't know how "Disney" Darth Vader is :rotfl::darth:). I just didn't want to see dd made a fuss of for looking like one of the princesses while the boys were ignored. Thanks!!

My DS7 was very upset that his twin sister got a pink parasol at BBB. Even though he had gotten the knight package, he was upset that there was no tshirt for boys and the pink parasol caused a meltdown. DS has high functioning autism and adores the princesses as much as his sister. As twins they are very close and he often dresses up in her costumes to play along with her.

OMG, I am so glad you said this! :goodvibes My 6yo dd & 4yo ds are only 15months apart, and he loves to play dress up with her! He's possible Asperger's too (oldest DS is, and this one shows signs), and has very definite opinions of things! ;) While he wouldn't want to wear the princess dress in the park so much (or any costume really - he's all about the comfy clothes!), he would totally have pitched a fit if his sister got the parasol and he didn't! :rotfl: The poor kiddo gets dressed up as a princess way more than a superhero since all of the old Halloween costumes in the dress up box that actually fit him are his sisters. His big brother's stuff won't fit him for quite awhile! But he gets quite offended when someone tries to tell him that only girls like princesses!

Just let them pick out the t-shirt you are going to buy them, or the shorts of hat or whatever. It is the same principle, whenthey eat do they get jealous that your daughter has chicken nuggets and they have a hamburger? No, they just pick what they want and eat it and enjoy it. It's the same thing, they won't even notice, especially since you say they are used to her getting all dressed up. There is plenty for everyone to do boy or girl and I'm sure at that age they will have a great time no matter what.

Thanks! That's what I'm doing. So much of the Disney "experience" seems to be about the princesses lately, I just wondered if anyone had had their boys get jealous over the extra princess stuff done for their sisters. We're not doing the BBB or anything, so the only not-so-equal thing was the special dress vs. shorts & t's. I put just as much time and effort into making the boys' stuff (a little more actually!) but it just dosen't "look" like as much when it's next to a poufy princess dress! :rotfl:

I'd do a pirate dress up thing just for him. Spend the same time and energy and attention.

As far as boy treating girls like princesses, I'd rather both genders learn to treat one another with kindness and respect.

When my son was younger I would send him on the Pirate cruise either from the GF or the YC. ( forgot about that in my 1st post) he loved the Albatross cruise out of the YC more. It gave him some special time too.

roliepolieoliefan said:
When my son was younger I would send him on the Pirate cruise either from the GF or the YC. ( forgot about that in my 1st post) he loved the Albatross cruise out of the YC more. It gave him some special time too.

My boys live that pirate cruise!

I'd do a pirate dress up thing just for him. Spend the same time and energy and attention.

As far as boy treating girls like princesses, I'd rather both genders learn to treat one another with kindness and respect.
We're in sync today :). That's exactly right, OP. Just make sure that you are not doting on your Princess and shorting your Princes the equal attention they deserve.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter