BOYS MEET WORLD... NEW! Crystal Palace review on p. 6

Thank you thank you thank you!!

We're staying for the first time at WL, good to know about those wrap around crowds!! and I definately have a chicken nugget conniesuer!!!

:thumbsup2

really enjoying your reviews, thank you so much for sharing your story - :rotfl: about dh and his comments!! Too true!! :wizard:

eeyore45 said:
We're staying for the first time at WL, good to know about those wrap around crowds!! and I definately have a chicken nugget conniesuer!!!

You'll love the WL!!! I don't know if we just hit Roaring Forks on a bad day, but the breakfast crowd was huge. Have a great trip. :)

Wednesday, May 10
Lunch at Columbia Harbour House

After a busy morning on Wednesday at the MK, our family of four had worked up quite an appetite. We hoped to find a place to grab some grub, cool off, and escape the growing crowds for a little bit. Columbia Harbour House fit the bill nicely.

While reading these boards before our vacay, I learned this little tip: CHH has an upstairs dining room. It may not seem like much of a revelation, but people didn’t seem to know it existed. While everyone else found their way to tables on the main level, we headed upstairs to an almost empty dining room thanks to some of you DISers out there. :disrocks:

It was a little dark in this restaurant. We spotted a table directly under a window upstairs where the boys and I had a bird’s eye view of the Magic Kingdom. They loved watching the people in Liberty Square, and it was cool to have our own “window to the World.” Little Mickey wanted to know why a small child was crying down below, while Dash checked out what where the “big kids” (like himself at the ripe old age of five!!!) were going. DH made it up to our table in no time with a big tray of food.

Everything looked great! It was not your typical “fast food”; even the kids’ meals seemed… gasp… healthy. No French fries! ‘Nuff said. The boys ate chilled chicken strips, cubes of cheddar cheese, red grapes and little Mickey-shaped cheese crackers. They loved their meals. :lovestruc

I ordered the Garden Galley salad. This was a yummy mix of mixed greens with chicken, pineapple, pecans and feta cheese. Delicious if you’re into what DH refers to as “girly” salads. DH is not! He opted for the “anchors away” tuna sandwich with some chips, and gave it his seal of approval. :thumbsup2 We all polished off some triple chocolate cake for dessert, and worked our way back through the crowds to Mickey’s Philharmagic. (Which we LOVED… but that’s a topic for another board!)

Here’s how we rated our meal at CHH:
Food: A- (Great meal for Counter Service)
Fast: A (Great service)
Fun: B (No professional entertainment, but people watching from our table was very entertaining!)

Next up: Meat and potatoes for dinner at the Concourse Steakhouse!

I think I know the table you sat at! We always try to sit there when we are at CHH. I love people watching!

I wish I would have known about that upstairs level when we were there! :crazy: At least now I know! :thumbsup2 DH and I LOVED the fried fish!! DS6 wasn't into his "chilled" chicken, but liked the rest of it!

Love your reviews, keep em comin'! :teeth:

Ashley80 said:
I wish I would have known about that upstairs level when we were there! :crazy: At least now I know! :thumbsup2 DH and I LOVED the fried fish!! DS6 wasn't into his "chilled" chicken, but liked the rest of it!

Love your reviews, keep em comin'! :teeth:

Yeah... chilled chicken... I don't like cold chicken... ewww

kahluacream said:
I ordered the Garden Galley salad. This was a yummy mix of mixed greens with chicken, pineapple, pecans and feta cheese. Delicious if you’re into what DH refers to as “girly” salads. DH is not!

All right, I have to ask--what does your DH regard as a "manly" salad? And isn't that an oxymoron? I guess I like "girly" salads because that sounds pretty good to me.

kahluacream said:
Everything looked great! It was not your typical “fast food”; even the kids’ meals seemed… gasp… healthy. No French fries! ‘Nuff said. The boys ate chilled chicken strips, cubes of cheddar cheese, red grapes and little Mickey-shaped cheese crackers. They loved their meals. :lovestruc

How great that your kids enjoy *healthy * options! I just wish that all CS would offer their specialty (fish, at CHH) as a childrens meal option as well. It doesnt seem fair that our kids on the DDP cant get similar meals to ours, appropriately sized :guilty:

Great Reviews! After reading the WCC review I called to get an ADR for us in September. I gave up 1900 Park Fare because this just sounds go great for my DS7. I really think he will have a much better time at WCC.
Can't wait are there more reviews coming?

newfamilyman said:
All right, I have to ask--what does your DH regard as a "manly" salad? And isn't that an oxymoron? I guess I like "girly" salads because that sounds pretty good to me.

This is me right now: :rotfl:

Truth be told, DH isn't big on salads. He would never, EVER eat a salad for an entire meal-- even if it's topped with shrimp or chicken. He avoids fancy lettuce like the plague.

Ever heard of a wedge salad? It's basically a big hunk of iceberg lettuce, some tomatoes, and bacon smothered in blue cheese dressing. That's his favorite! He'd say that's a man's salad. :thumbsup2

Sweetness - It would be nice if restaurants offered child-sized portions from the regular menu. My kids just help themselves to MY plate!!!! :rolleyes:

Dawson's mom - More to come... eventually... Promise! :teeth:

Wednesday, May 10
Dinner at Concourse Steakhouse

A leisurely boat ride connected our digs at the Wilderness Lodge to the Contemporary Resort. Many moons ago, I described our first night of Disney dining at Chef Mickey’s Restaurant. Tonight we ventured back to the Contemporary to try the Concourse Steakhouse. (I love me some filet mignon!) :love: Meeting Chef Mickey BEFORE dining here is a must if you have little ones. Once we arrived on the expansive fourth floor of the hotel, we heard all the fun sounds emanating from the Steakhouse’s flashier neighbor. I was a little worried that the boys might want to jump ship and greet their favorite mouse again. Fortunately, this did not phase Dash and Little Mickey a bit. They’d already been there, done that.

When we approached the podium at 5 p.m., an empty restaurant greeted us. We always shoot for an early lunch (11ish) and an early dinner (5ish) when we eat out with the dynamic duo. You see, our boys come equipped with internal timers for meals. The timer starts ticking the second we enter a restaurant. They can be sweet, adorable, and compliant for about one hour—give or take a few more minutes for Dash and a few less for Little Mickey. Tick! Tick! Tick! When our tiny human time bombs go off, then it gets ugly. Very ugly. (As in U-G-L-Y; you ain’t got no alibi!!! Does anyone remember that kind of ugly?!) DH and I shudder to hear the Mickster utter the three scariest words in his vocabulary: “I’M ALL DONE!” Because when a two-year old is all done, EVERYONE is all done. No soup for you!

Sorry for the rant. Just a little tip… If your kids have a finite amount of patience at mealtimes, it’s sooooooo worth it to eat ahead of the crowd. Zero wait for a table usually buys us more time with our ticking time bombs… which means we might actually be able to EAT some of our food. Enough said.

Where was I? After checking in at the podium, we were seated almost immediately at a nice table on the far right side of the restaurant. This removed our family pretty far from Chef Mickey's napkin twirling and celebratory dances. Our server greeted us right away, and jotted down our drink order. The kids’ Kim Possible placemats-slash-menus listed “electric light potions” as beverages. They sounded fun, so I asked if these drinks were included on the dining plan. Nope. Oh well, we ordered one Radiant Red Fusion for Dash and one Brilliant Blue Berry Goo for Little Mick anyway. How can you possibly pass up names like those? A few rounds of tic tac toe kept us busy while waiting for these exotic concoctions to arrive. Dash takes this game very seriously; Little Mickey haphazardly places Xs and Os all over the board to declare himself the “winnew” (winner) every time.

The drinks arrived, and we placed our order. DH selected pan seared scallops and a ribeye steak (medium rare) with onion rings. I couldn’t pass up the lobster bisque along with a filet (medium) and garlic mashed potatoes. “Grilled cheese, please!,” requested Dash. Not to be outdone, Little Mickey shouted, “Me too!”… pause… “Pweeease?” The server smiled and informed the boys that they also could have either shrimp cocktail or a salad for an app, so they opted for salads.

The boys eyed up their drinks. Their concoctions resembled blue and red bubbly soda with plastic light-up glow cubes floating in them. One sip each, and “yuck!” was the unanimous verdict. What?!?! I thought that these drinks would taste like my childhood favorite, the good old Shirley Temple. I took a sip of the red one. Ewww! It tasted like colored club soda, without any trace of sweetness. Radiant Red Fusion may have a cooler name, but I’ll stick with my dear Shirley Temple any day. (Maybe the soda machine was out of syrup and we just got a bad one?) :confused3 The blue drink tasted a little better… but not much. Oh well! The glow cubes were cool, and we were in Disney World. Yay! No worries here.

As we nibbled on our appetizers, the boys couldn’t keep their eyes off of the monorail silently speeding over our heads. This is, after all, Little Mickey’s favorite “ride.” (He really thinks of it as a ride, not just transportation.) Their faces lit up each time a new train made its way near the restaurant. Then the waving began. :wave: Incessant waving. They waved their little hands so hard at each and every monorail car I thought their appendages might actually fall off from all the effort. Nonetheless, it kept them occupied while I ate my soup. The lobster bisque was a little bit salty, but still delicious. (I never met a bisque I didn’t like!!!) DH enjoyed his scallops, and the boys picked at the croutons out of their salads in between waves.

A cast member (not our server) promptly delivered our entrees soon after we finished the appetizers. Question: Why is it that your “server” never actually serves you your meal???? It seems like some stranger always appears out of thin air bearing your food. Server is a bit of a misnomer-- not a whole lot of serving going on from the actual “server”. What’s up with that?

Anyhoo, it really didn’t matter who brought our food because it was here. And it was good! For those who frequent big chain restaurants like we do, I would rate the quality of CSH steaks better than Outback but not as good as, say, the cuts of meat which arrive sizzling in butter at Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse. The chef here cooked our meat to order perfectly; not overdone or underdone. It was just right! I almost finished my last bite of mashed potatoes when it happened…. “I’M ALL DONE,” announced Little Mickey in his loudest outside voice. Oh no! I quickly suggested a little “field trip” to the bathroom as a diversion so that DH and Dash could finish their meals.

We returned just in time for dessert: a Mickey brownie for Dash, the Painter’s Palette for Little Mickey, and a crème brulee for moi. (DH passed on dessert this time.) M and Ms covered Dash’s Mickey brownie so he was a happy camper! I loved my crème brulee. The best dessert, however, went to Little Mickey. The painter’s palette featured a Mickey-shaped sugar cookie with a palette of three different colors of icing, decorative sprinkles, and a paintbrush. Little Mickey happily painted his cookie while the rest of us ate our desserts and DH settled up the check.

The server and I chatted about what a great idea the Painter’s Palette was, and she gave me a simple recipe for replicating the dessert. You just combine powdered confectioner’s sugar, a little water, and food coloring to form a paste. I tried this at home with the boys when the new Cars movie was released, and we had a car-themed play date with some friends. It was such a hit! I just used a car-shaped cookie cutter to cut shapes from store-bought Pillsbury sugar cookie dough, mixed up the edible paint, and let the kids attach mini-oreos to the bottom for wheels. Very cute! I got big props for that idea, of course it wasn't really my own. Shhhh!

I’m really getting off topic here, so let’s wrap this one up with our ratings for the Concourse Steakhouse:
Food: A- (Very good overall)
Fast: A (Efficient service)
Fun: B+ (The monorail overhead was entertaining. Fun dessert options for kids!)

Next up: We have lunch with a bunch of characters from the Hundred Acre Woods. Can you guess where?

Can't wait for the Crystal Palace review!

Kudos on getting Dora the Explorer AND Wildcats references into your stream of reviews!

We are eating there for the first time on the 22nd. Thanks for the great reviews!!

Love your reviews. Can't wait to try Concourse Steakhouse for the first time in less than 2 weeks. I will admit the painter's pallete was one of the main reasons I made an ADR here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter