Boy pulled from Disney resort pool dies

How horribly sad. I can't even imagine something like this happening on a vacation. So sorry for this family.

Really sad story, and what makes me even more upset is that this is something that could have been avoided. I was a lifeguard for four years, I don't understand why city/county/state laws allow pools to be operated without lifeguards. It just doesn't make sense, the only reason is for $$$$$. Sad.

I wonder if Disney will now change their policies and close the pools if there is no lifeguard on duty.

I have a feeling that the polls will start being closed/locked up now when a life guard is not on duty.

I agree with previous posters - why would you not have a life guard considering the amount of people who are in and out of those pools!!

This is very sad news. Prayers to the family as well as those that witnessed the incident.

Really sad story, and what makes me even more upset is that this is something that could have been avoided. I was a lifeguard for four years, I don't understand why city/county/state laws allow pools to be operated without lifeguards. It just doesn't make sense, the only reason is for $$$$$. Sad.

I wonder if Disney will now change their policies and close the pools if there is no lifeguard on duty.

I agree, I could have sworn, once upon a time, at least at the MAIN resort pools they would close at a certain time after the lifeguards left for the day (they may have even been opened until 10 or even midnight but once the lifeguards were gone the pools closed) HOWEVER I do recall the quiet pools being opened all night with a "swim at your own risk" option. It's a horrible tragedy waiting to happen that horribly did.:sad2:

Most hotels do not have lifeguards at all. This was just a tragic accident. I hope the policy does not change. Think about how many thousands of people swim on property year after year without any issues--even when there are no lifeguards present. My heart breaks for this family, but there was not much that could have been done. His dad was there, and did CPR on his son as soon as he could have. It just takes a split second for an accident to happen. In all likelihood, a lifeguard being present would not have made a difference. Very sad, but a policy change, IMHO, is not needed because of this.

Most hotels do not have lifeguards at all. This was just a tragic accident. I hope the policy does not change. Think about how many thousands of people swim on property year after year without any issues--even when there are no lifeguards present. My heart breaks for this family, but there was not much that could have been done. His dad was there, and did CPR on his son as soon as he could have. It just takes a split second for an accident to happen. In all likelihood, a lifeguard being present would not have made a difference. Very sad, but a policy change, IMHO, is not needed because of this.

As I said, I don't understand the policy anywhere, at any hotel, not just Disney.
With what I have read I have no doubt a lifeguard would have helped. A life guard would tell them not to dive in shallow water and likely would have recognized the situation and gotten him out of the water quicker than the parents who said they didn't know he was missing for a while. Of course those are just assumptions based on what I have read.

As far as policies go, thousands of people rode the monorail, but Disney still changed some policies following the accident.

I am not trying to start any arguments as this is truly a tragic event. I am just think it is even worse because I think it could have been avoided.

The reality is that lifeguards do cost money (though not much) and Disney finds it difficult to meet its staffing requirements as is...

I think most would say that no lifeguards and multiple pools/broad access is a trade off that they would make...and incur the risk.

If we're talking strictly safety...then no it doesn't hold.
But you get the good with the bad on that - namely the immediate closure of the wave pool at typhoon and drastic reductions in hours and possible pool closures.

No lifeguard should equal no pool being opened! This is tragic, I am so sorry. With disneyworld money this is inexcusable.

No lifeguard should equal no pool being opened! This is tragic, I am so sorry. With disneyworld money this is inexcusable.

Hotel pools all over the country operate without any lifeguards at all. Disney did absolutely nothing wrong in this instance. It was a tragic accident. Accidents can (and do) happen anywhere.

132470764.gif

132470764.gif

132470764.gif

yaddakal said:

Pool accidents should never happen...

But they do. Disney's money is irrelevant to this incident or the argument.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter