Box Instead of Suitcase for FE Gifts?

lucyem

DIS Veteran
DH and I were looking at all our FE gifts and realized we do not have a suitcase with hard sides. DH suggested just using a big cardboard box instead, it would make things easier for us packing. But can we check it in at Port Canaveral? (we are driving) I can manage using a soft sided suitcase if I find a bunch of smaller boxes to keep things from being crushed.

Thanks!

We drove also and checked a box of FE stuff with our luggage. It worked great! Good luck.

We too used a box for candy, fan, costumes, etc. Worked great for embark.
However for debark it was 1/2 full and barely survived. :rotfl:
We cut luggage tags in half and placed them all over box.

We ship the box to the DCL warehouse so we don't have to lug it around. It has always been in our cabin when we arrive. Note that some people have said that their boxes got lost doing this, however, we have never experienced that.

Bear3412 said:
We too used a box for candy, fan, costumes, etc. Worked great for embark.
However for debark it was 1/2 full and barely survived. :rotfl:
We cut luggage tags in half and placed them all over box.

Can you clarify for me? I've read in places that you aren't supposed to bring your own food onboard, but like you did I want to bring some candy and snacks for movie nights. Can you put food in a checked luggage/box?

Can you clarify for me? I've read in places that you aren't supposed to bring your own food onboard, but like you did I want to bring some candy and snacks for movie nights. Can you put food in a checked luggage/box?

You can bring packaged snacks. M&Ms, Skittles, etc. No 'fresh' food.

DH and I were looking at all our FE gifts and realized we do not have a suitcase with hard sides. DH suggested just using a big cardboard box instead, it would make things easier for us packing. But can we check it in at Port Canaveral? (we are driving) I can manage using a soft sided suitcase if I find a bunch of smaller boxes to keep things from being crushed.

Thanks!

Have you seen how they handle the checked bags?

avouhj.jpg
qqsjlh.jpg

If it's breakable/crushable/leakable, I wouldn't do it.

PrincessShmoo said:

Oh my gosh, that's horrible!!!

I used a big box. I mailed it to the hotel prior to our arrival. Before going to port I attached a cabin tag and used lots of duck tape to make a handle. Everything arrived nice and neat. Broke the box down and slid it under the bed.

Yes. Bring as much prepackaged food onboard as you wish. Correct, no fresh or homemade food.

It can be in carry on or checked luggage. Your choice. Isn't DCL awesome ? :thumbsup2
We put it in our big box which was checked luggage.
This box was not small or light either fwiw.

I will say the porter looked at me weird until he saw the $40 in my hand. (we had many other bags too)
Then it was all, yes sir, no problem sir, no worries with the box sir. Looks good sir. You packaged it well sir. It's in a heavy duty cardboard box sir.
You box will survive the abuse and arrive at your room today. You have tagged it well, and in advance. ;) Thank you sir. :confused3

Wow, I could write a novel about that 10 minute experience. :idea:

Just as PP mentioned, the food in the box was prepackaged Twizzlers, Junior mints(which were 1/4 melted/stuck to box- we learned to bring fork to theater-:lmao:) and other big bags of candy that was pre-packaged.
The box was not opened by CBP or DCL.
The box also contained many other items. Febrezze, cans of nuts, and other items as previously mentioned. This box was so diverse.
To me it was the most important piece of luggage ironically :lmao:

As I mentioned it was half full for debark, I knew it was going to be an issue, but the wife has her technique and I have mine, but .... it failed to get filled..... :rolleyes: It's tough that last baggage night. :sad2:

Anyway the box was half full. We spoke to our room host who did indicated the box would survive better if full, like embark. So we took a look around the room at the pillows, bedding, bathroom products, life preservers, wine glasses, ottomans, vases, lawn chairs, sinks, and such, but ....
We decided the folks boarding after us would also appreciate those items. So we taped up the box half full.
It was squashed to half size of course, with one side busted out, items exposed, and available to grab. :rotfl2:

It was actually funny. I knew it was going to happen. All our items seem to be there. If something was missing we never noticed. But how could we? We packed everything, but the kitchen sink. We had so much stuff, how would we know if something was missing, our spreadsheet was 14 pages. :rotfl2:

It all worked out fine. The porter found a big heavy duty trash bag, which the dilapidated box entered, partially. The box eventually made it safely to the parking garage, and found it's way home to grandma's for a rework for eventual TSA.

We made it home with uneaten candy and a small fan that was never used. :eek:

Moral; I will never pack so much stuff. :headache:

Mini trip Report by Bear. :)

avouhj.jpg
qqsjlh.jpg

I kind of have no choice. We have a large group. If it gets crushed it is not the end of the world (I'd rather not give away what it is :) ). But at least in a box there would be a little more structure around everything rather then in a soft sided suitcase.

avouhj.jpg
qqsjlh.jpg

And that, my friends, is why you shouldn't pack beer or soda in your checked bags. ::yes::

I showed it to my mother, who cruises with us, and I had a good laugh just watching the expression on her face. :lmao:

On our last cruise I packed our FE gifts in a cardboard box, then strapped that into our suitcases and packed the voids with clothes. It worked awesome and while we had some fragile things in the boxes everything was perfect! Be prepared if you do this though to have TSA open your cardboard boxes to inspect, but they will tape them back up and the tape they use is strong!

On the MV last year,had over 100 FE cabins,so even though I bought a suitcase at Ross just for the FE gifts,I still had to box up the rest and send it ahead to the cabin.

I followed the directions on these boards exactly. The box dimensions that were allowed seemed to be VERY small,but it was still better than trying to smoosh them into the suitcase.

The box arrived in perfect condition and was waiting for us in the cabin.

I would have no problem doing it again if I had to - using the same suitcase this year for FE's,but only for 41 cabins,so it feels like a breeze doing it this time!!!!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter