• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bought our trip insurance through Travelguard

100AcreWood

DIS Veteran
This is the second time we've used them (we're Costco members). I always hate spending the $200 to insure our trip but it's totally worth it not having to worry.

Has anyone had to file a claim with Travelguard? Just curious. My dh is on the fence about whether we are wasting our money. I'm more on the better safe than lose $3k side :rotfl:.

You are not wasting your money. While we have never used Travelguard, we have had to file a claim through our travel insurance company. We had an emergency and had to cancel our cruise within the penalty period. DCL gave us a percentage of our fare back but we had to go through the travel insurance for the rest. We were also reimbursed for airfare and a non-refundable hotel reservation.

Before that cruise I had never purchased insurance. Now I buy it for every trip.

Yes, we filed a claim through Travelguard and they were very easy to work with. We had to cancel a cruise due to a medical issue. We filled out a questionnaire/claim form, and submitted a note from the doctor.

Saved us $8000.

Thank you both for responding! That reassures me I didn't just waste money :).

Have a good day!

Not a waste! My mother was emergency evacuated from the boat and they, Travelguard, paid for that and the hospital bills and the rest. Honestly, medical emergencies on board were our concern (we had no idea Mom would get sick, but she is diabetic, so we bought it). If we canceled, we'd be out the money for the trip itself (which would be awful), but if you have to be medically evacuated, well now, that would be financially devastating to us.

We have had to file a claim as well (not with TravelGuard) due to a medical issue. This occurred during the penalty phase for us as well. DCL refunded their portion, we were able to get airfare refunded (we never buy airfare that cannot be refunded!)and we had hotel reservations that could be refunded. We have always purchased the insurance through DCL or WDW just in case. You just never know when you are going to need it. I'd rather be safe (for a couple hundred dollars) than sorry (for thousands of them!).

The best way I've seen it presented is "Can you afford to lose the amount of the vacation?"

If losing that amount won't put a crimp in your life in any way, sure, go ahead and go without insurance. (And I'm available for adoption in that case! :lmao: )

If losing that amount will put a crimp in your life, it's worth betting the $200 you won't have to use it.

If $200 is going to break you, perhaps now isn't the time for vacation.

The best way I've seen it presented is "Can you afford to lose the amount of the vacation?"

If losing that amount won't put a crimp in your life in any way, sure, go ahead and go without insurance. (And I'm available for adoption in that case! :lmao: )

If losing that amount will put a crimp in your life, it's worth betting the $200 you won't have to use it.

If $200 is going to break you, perhaps now isn't the time for vacation.
I'd add in, if a medical evacuation and its costs are something you can afford to lose, then don't bother with insurance. But medical evacuations can happen to perfectly healthy people and they cost a fortune. A slip and broken hip, an appendicitis, or a slew of other things can and do happen. Our boat, the Magic, had to high-tail it to the next port and DCL sent the bill for the added fuel to TravelGuard. We could not have paid for that.

I've had to file two claims with TG...
1. Whole family woke up stomach flu on departure day right after airline cancelled our flight...
2. UA cancelled our return flight last year and we had to drive back (next available flight was a week away).

I won't leave home without it...

I'd add in, if a medical evacuation and its costs are something you can afford to lose, then don't bother with insurance. But medical evacuations can happen to perfectly healthy people and they cost a fortune. A slip and broken hip, an appendicitis, or a slew of other things can and do happen. Our boat, the Magic, had to high-tail it to the next port and DCL sent the bill for the added fuel to TravelGuard. We could not have paid for that.
I agree with this. While the insurance is nice if you cancel, and can't afford to lose the cost of the vacation, the big deal is the medical insurance. I slipped and fell while on vacation, ended up in the ER getting staples in my scalp and a CAT scan. VERY expensive! The insurance covered all that. Most health insurance (like you get from your employer) will not cover you outside of the US, so you are liable for the entire amount. And even going to the doctor on the ship is expensive! I had a $300 charge for one visit to the ship's doctor. And since the ship is outside the US, my normal health insurance wouldn't cover it (but the trip insurance did).

And one thing it seems some people don't know is that you *can* buy *just* the medical portion of the trip insurance. Coverage for medical bills and evacuation. If you don't care about covering the cost of your vacation, and are just worried about possible medical costs, you can buy a policy just for that, and it is way, WAY CHEAPER than the packages that cover both medical and vacation cost.

Sayhello

We have used TravelGuard for years but have only had to claim on it once. And when we bought the insurance this isn't the reason I thought I might use it. People always think about if you can't get to the ship or if you have a medical emergency which are all valid reasons for getting it. BUT in our case, we happily enjoyed our cruise then we were left stranded for 5 days. This is how it worked for us.

May 2011 cruise. Our flight home after the cruise cancelled due to mechanical issues. Rescheduled for the following day.
Unexpected hotel and dinner expense 1
Rescheduled flight-cancelled due to weather back home. (Joplin tornado of may 2011)
Unexpected hotel and food expense 2
Rescheduled flight delayed due to weather, missed connecting flight in Chicago.
Unexpected hotel and food expense 3.
Next day, you guessed it, rescheduled flight cancelled due to weather.
We are now fed up and can be home in an 9 hour drive home. We rent a car and drive home.
Unexpected one way car rental and food expense 4.
Travel guard paid us the $1231 we spent during our delays.
Our Gold Travelguard policy for 3 people(including our 2 year old): $84

Well worth it.

Just curious. We've only been on one Disney cruise to date and have another one booked June 2015. We didn't purchase insurance last time (and luckily did not need it!) but am considering it this time since we are actively trying to conceive.

My question is, is there a timeframe you must purchase insurance? Maybe before it's paid in full? TIA!

Just curious. We've only been on one Disney cruise to date and have another one booked June 2015. We didn't purchase insurance last time (and luckily did not need it!) but am considering it this time since we are actively trying to conceive.

My question is, is there a timeframe you must purchase insurance? Maybe before it's paid in full? TIA!

Yes, you have to purchase it before paid in full date.

I think most insurance plans include pre-existing conditions *if* bought w/in a week or two of when you made the reservation. So with my mom, we had to buy it right away to make sure that an emergency from her diabetes would be covered (her actual medical emergency had nothing to do with diabetes, not that it matters at this point). If you buy most policies after that initial time period, they don't cover preexisting conditions. If you are healthy now, then that won't really matter and you should be able to buy a plan for not too much money by the PIF date.

You can buy plans that cover preexisting conditions past that original first few weeks, but they tend to cost more. And there are plans you can buy up until just a few days before travel.

You can search through plans pretty easily at www.***************** . There are other sites just like that one but I'm forgetting the names. They make it simple to compare plans.

ETA I had no idea that website would be blocked. It didn't use to be. You can google trip insurance and you'll find the sites that let you compare.

I think most insurance plans include pre-existing conditions *if* bought w/in a week or two of when you made the reservation. So with my mom, we had to buy it right away to make sure that an emergency from her diabetes would be covered (her actual medical emergency had nothing to do with diabetes, not that it matters at this point). If you buy most policies after that initial time period, they don't cover preexisting conditions. If you are healthy now, then that won't really matter and you should be able to buy a plan for not too much money by the PIF date.

You can buy plans that cover preexisting conditions past that original first few weeks, but they tend to cost more. And there are plans you can buy up until just a few days before travel.

You can search through plans pretty easily at www.***************** . There are other sites just like that one but I'm forgetting the names. They make it simple to compare plans.

ETA I had no idea that website would be blocked. It didn't use to be. You can google trip insurance and you'll find the sites that let you compare.

Yeah, many of us use that insurance comparison site, and found that a couple of months ago that it's now banned here. :confused3

We've used https://www.squaremouth.com/ and have had good service from them. There's also http://tripinsurancestore.com/. We haven't used them but others have reported that they have. Or just do a internet search for "travel insurance comparison site". That's what I do when I'm looking to insure my trips.

Yeah, many of us use that insurance comparison site, and found that a couple of months ago that it's now banned here. :confused3

We've used https://www.squaremouth.com/ and have had good service from them. There's also http://tripinsurancestore.com/. We haven't used them but others have reported that they have. Or just do a internet search for "travel insurance comparison site". That's what I do when I'm looking to insure my trips.
That is so odd it was banned. Dreams doesn't sell trip insurance, do they? I just can't figure out why a comparison site would be blocked :coffee:

That is so odd it was banned. Dreams doesn't sell trip insurance, do they? I just can't figure out why a comparison site would be blocked :coffee:

Even if Dreams did sell insurance, why wouldn't they block all insurance comparison sites? It's only that one.

. . . Has anyone had to file a claim with Travelguard?
We have purchased Travelguard trip insurance on various occasions.

On our first trip to South Africa, we had a Travelguard policy, as did our Dear Friend traveling with us. Our DF had an accident in Cape Town that required emergency room treatment.

I was impressed with Travelguard's handling of the incident throughout the trip. They gave our DF the option to return home immediately, or to continue with the remaining tours and safari game drives. (She chose to stay.) They upgraded our DF's flights to business class so she would be more comfortable. Upon returning home, they paid for all medical follow-up and all out of pocket expenses.

I am impressed with Travelguard's handling of our DF's claim.

Woody

So which 'travelguard' option would you recommend? My DU TA recommended me I search thru a this now banned site and it doesn't make sense.

Another thing is we are driving down from NJ - so the main issue here is what happens if we don't get to the port on time (we do drive a couple of days before in any case). In the past with DCL, it was easy with their 'cancel any reason' hidden policy. But now that changed to 75% only...

Suggestions?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter