Borrowing: can I make a reservation in the 2017 UY using 2017 and 2018 points?

Bill Fenner

Earning My Ears
I am looking at buying a contract with a June UY on the secondary market. The main purpose is to make 11-month reservations for the January Marathon Weekend. Let's say it's February 2017, and I'm making a reservation for January 2018. So it's the 2016 UY when I'm making the reservation and the 2017 UY when I am using the points. Can I borrow points from 2018 when I make this reservation? Everything I've seen says "current UY plus the next UY", but does "current" mean "the UY in effect when making the reservation" or "the UY in effect when staying"?

(Why am I asking such a weird question? They've already used all of their 2016 points and borrowed some 2017 points, so I'd be buying a stripped contract.)

Thanks,
Bill

Use year is always based on the date of the reservation, not the day you book it. The date of the stay is what matters.

However, a June use year is not ideal if you'll mostly be travelling in January. And stripped contracts are usually overpriced.

Dates you will be at WDW detemine points used and whether you need to bank or borrow, and not the date on which you go online or call to make the reservation. When you go online or call in February 2017 to make a January 2018 reservation, you will be able to use the following if you have a June use year: (a) any June 2016 use year points if, and only if, you first bank them into the June 2017 use year and do such banking by no later than the end of the eigth month of your use year, meaning by no later than January 31, 2017; (b) June 2017 use year points which will be your "current" use year points for the trip; and (c) if needed you can borrow points from the June 2018 use year.

However, a June use year is not ideal if you'll mostly be travelling in January

We travel all the time, so I didn't put much thought into the use year. The 11-month window for the reservations during the marathon was the main reason to get the points, and if we cancel early we still have time to bank the points and use them for other trips. I suppose the problem is a late cancellation, requiring the points to be used within Feb-May. Thanks for giving me more to think about.

I am looking at buying a contract with a June UY on the secondary market. The main purpose is to make 11-month reservations for the January Marathon Weekend. Let's say it's February 2017, and I'm making a reservation for January 2018. So it's the 2016 UY when I'm making the reservation and the 2017 UY when I am using the points. Can I borrow points from 2018 when I make this reservation? Everything I've seen says "current UY plus the next UY", but does "current" mean "the UY in effect when making the reservation" or "the UY in effect when staying"?

(Why am I asking such a weird question? They've already used all of their 2016 points and borrowed some 2017 points, so I'd be buying a stripped contract.)

Thanks,
Bill
Jan, 18 would be 2017 June UY so you are correct. You could book it 11 months out as long as you had the points in the 2017 UY and/or could borrow enough from 2018 to do so. I'd suggest there are better UY for your plan, Dec would be the best. I'd also suggest you consider the value of the lost points, to make this worthwhile you should be getting a discount of roughly $10 PP AND not paying any dues for 2016 or 2017 compared to the going rate otherwise. Generally a full loaded contract is a better value and you might be able to get by with a smaller contract and/or rent points to cover part of your costs.

I am hoping that I can piggy back and ask a question on the OP thread - Sorry to hijack.

I am looking to book 2 bedroom villa in Sept or Oct 2017 - I have 148 points from 2016 and 150 points coming in April 2017. If I understand correctly, I need to bank 2016 points by Dec 2016. When the 7mth window opens Feb 2017/March 2017, I can still use the 2016 points & 2017 points? If I luck out and find availability at VGF and need to borrow some points from 2018, is that possible?

If I understand correctly, I need to bank 2016 points by Dec 2016.

When the 7mth window opens Feb 2017/March 2017, I can still use the 2016 points & 2017 points?

If I luck out and find availability at VGF and need to borrow some points from 2018, is that possible?
Yes, yes, and yes. The trip will be in your 2017 use year. You can use banked 2016 points, current 2017 points, and borrow 2018 points.

I am hoping that I can piggy back and ask a question on the OP thread - Sorry to hijack.

I am looking to book 2 bedroom villa in Sept or Oct 2017 - I have 148 points from 2016 and 150 points coming in April 2017. If I understand correctly, I need to bank 2016 points by Dec 2016. When the 7mth window opens Feb 2017/March 2017, I can still use the 2016 points & 2017 points? If I luck out and find availability at VGF and need to borrow some points from 2018, is that possible?

The stay is in your 2017 use year, so you can borrow 2018. You can also use banked 2016, you must bank by 11/30.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter