Borrowing/banking question

harrowgirl

Mouseketeer
We are considering a purchase of a DVC membership (likely a resale).

Say we purchased 160pts, and say it is a Dec 12 use year, with the 2012 points not used.

Can you both bank and borrow for the same trip? i.e. if you travel in July 2013, can you bank your 2012 points to use, use your 2013 pts, and borrow your 2014 pts?

Say we purchased 160pts, and say it is a Dec 12 use year, with the 2012 points not used.

Can you both bank and borrow for the same trip? i.e. if you travel in July 2013, can you bank your 2012 points to use, use your 2013 pts, and borrow your 2014 pts?

well...let me complicate things a little:

if you travel in july 2013, that is in your dec 2012 UY (which covers stays from dec 1, 2012 to nov 30, 2013). for a stay in your 2012 UY, you would actually have access to banked 2011 pts (if there are any) + current 2012 pts (doesn't matter when you call to book, they are current based on the dates of the stay) + borrowed 2013 pts (if needed). so you can bank and borrow for the same trip, in general.

but if a resale contract has no 2011 UY pts, you could not use 3 years of pts for a july 2013 trip since you would not have any banked pts and you would not be able to borrow from 2 use years ahead.

dec UYs are probably the most complicated since they are almost completely different than calendar year (most of the dec 2012 UY is in the 2013 calendar year).

Thanks so much!

My question was completely hypothetical - like i said we are looking at buying SOMETHING. I had the use year wrong - (i.e. sounds like the year STARTS in the month - Dec 2012 use year is December 2012 - November 2013), not ending (i.e January 2012 - December 2012).

It was more of a "how many points might we need" question, so it sounds like you could, in theory, depending on your use year dates, etc.

Travel in calendar 2013, using 2012, 2013 and 2014 points. Then go again in 2016, using 2015, 2016 and 2017 points. Not that we would necessarily purchase and travel that infrequently, but that is what I was trying to figure out. That if the sort of stay we wanted needed say 400 pts, I could still purchase the minimum of 160 and stay as we would like (in theory).

Such a complicated process - I'm still trying to get my head around it all.

every third year is possible but a little risky. you can only move pts one time with banking and borrowing. so once you bank and borrow pts to get them into 2013, if you have to cancel, you will not be able to bank any of those pts forward. if you cancel early enough, you can bank any current pts from that 2013 reservation but only one year forward and that would be where they would need to be used for a stay.

you could still rent a reservation you couldn't use or give the stay to friends or family. depending on where you are in your UY, you might have time to cancel and rebook a stay later in your UY.

and regardless of cancellations, any leftover pts from 2014 that you didn't need to borrow for 2013 (for example) could only be banked forward to 2015...which won't do you any good if you weren't planning to go back until 2016.

just a general opinion: i think DVC can typically work fine for every-other-year plans, but i wouldn't recommend buying in for an every-third-year plan.

Thanks! I'm not saying we would necessarily only go every 3 years, I was just wondering if it was an option. I think i'd want enough points to go every 2 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter