Borrowed 2013 points may now need an operation Help please

Bumbleink

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone

We have been so excited booked our flights for our 2012 in February this yr and our DVC accommodations borrowing 2013 points.

Have just been told i will now probably have to have a major surgery :( This may mean we have to cancel our holiday. Having borrowed our points, i know it says final transaction - does anyone know if DVC would make an exception and return points to their uy. If we do have to cancel i will really want to go in 2013 so as not to lose our flight deposits which we would be able to carry over.

Am feeling so upset about it all at the moment. If i lose these points it will mean that 2013 we will have to pay for accommodation and although it is an option it would be such an added expense and limit how we like to move around resorts.

Just wondered if anyone else had had this problem - would i need to write in rather than telephone?

thanks

The only thing you can do is a call and ask but be prepared for them to say no. As you mentioned, borrowing is a final transaction and I have not ever heard of points being returned.

Sorry to hear about your surgery and hope all goes well with that.

Good luck!

sorry to hear about the need for surgery- Just did that myself and went back and forth about when to do it before or after next Disney trip. Decided to do it between the one in Sept and the one in Dec. Am still trying to get some energy but will hopefully be okay by Dec 4.

As soon as you know for certain about your time frame and recovery time you can make a more informed decision. You might want to rent the points or the reservation out and then you would have the cash to pay for a trip in 2013. It is not the best solution but at least you wouldn't lose everything that way. If you used some of the 2011 points and are within your banking window when you cancel you should be able to bank them if that would help.
Call MS and explain the situation and then you can go forward from there.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

If you can't keep them, renting them out is a great option. You can get 10$ or more per point..... then use that $ for a 2013 vacation.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes, it's so kind of you all. Hopefully will know more in the next couple of weeks so will be better placed then to decide.

I may try my luck with member services when i know more but if not it looks like renting will be the only alternative.

Sorry to hear about needing surgery.

I'm afraid I agree with others that there's very little chance DVC will waive the rule and allow you to return your borrowed points.

I don't suppose you purchased the trip insurance? If so, surgery would possibly qualify you to be reimbursed for your points (depending on whether or not it was a pre-existing condition). However, since there's a good amount of time left before your scheduled vacation, you would probably make out better renting instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter