Border shopping questions - BACK & UPDATED

Here we can still pump gas before paying ... and Root Beer Popsicle's are number 1 . You cant buy beer at a gas station here. :)

That's what i love about traveling ... it is so interesting to see and learn stuff!

UPDATE --> I e-mailed usaddress to check one more time, and gosh darn it - the books have arrived! :rotfl: I guess whoever shipped them goofed and didn't realize we paid $6 extra to have the books arrive before we did. :rolleyes:

I guess a trip back to Niagara is in order. I can't just send my husband as the books are in my name, darn it. Maybe this is a good time to start talking about that overnight stay we always meant to do with the kids at Great Wolf Lodge. ;) A planned weekend stay at GWL in 2010 turned into a 10-day WDW trip instead. :teeth:

I hope you all don't mind me reading over here. It's so interesting to hear how others live and shop.
California did away with pumping before paying years ago as people were taking off without paying. I think you can still pump first in the middle states until about Arizona where it's a pay first.

Most people I know have figured in their head about how many gallons they need, round it off to the nearest dollar (3.84 a gallon, $4 a gallon x needs 10 gallons= $40). I know I always try to figure a little short so I don't have to go back in.

On a trip to Detroit years ago, I had to go over the border to a grocery store to see milk in bags LOL Human nature I guess to see things that aren't "normal" to you. It always has amazed me how many times I have heard that there isn't that many flavors/brands, etc there. With the US, it's marketing and all marketing with more and more.

Hi and welcome! You're right. It is interesting. And surprising because I keep feeling it should be pretty much the same for all that we're two different countries. I guess a lot of American tv content makes it feels like it should be the same.

Here we can still pump gas before paying ... and Root Beer Popsicle's are number 1 . You cant buy beer at a gas station here. :)

WHERE do you find root beer popsicles?? I love root beer and root beer flavoured hard candies. I would love to try a RB popsicle! Gee, and I always thought I was lucky that I can still find banana, lime and cherry popsicles at the corner store in the summer.

Since someone mentioned possible issues about importing books, I wanted to chime in. I've ordered tons of books from the States over the years, and most of them were delivered to em in Canada. I used UPSP/Canada Post, so Canada Post managed the brokering. Nothing stopped at the border. And since I paid taxes on the books many times, they new what was in the package, so it's not just chance. I'm pretty sure you won't have any issues with your box of books at the border.

Since someone mentioned possible issues about importing books, I wanted to chime in. I've ordered tons of books from the States over the years, and most of them were delivered to em in Canada. I used UPSP/Canada Post, so Canada Post managed the brokering. Nothing stopped at the border. And since I paid taxes on the books many times, they new what was in the package, so it's not just chance. I'm pretty sure you won't have any issues with your box of books at the border.

Good to know, thanks! My husband is waiting for another shipment of books from that States that does deliver to Canada. Should be here soon.

I was in Buffalo yesterday and filled my tank at the gas station by Tops near the Outlet Mall. They had a button 'pay inside' so I chose that and paid inside. Easy.

Just to add about cross border shopping...
We use an address in Lewiston as many others have addresses here also. My daughter shipped luggage to us (from NYC) pre Christmas. We watched it online with Fedex as it was destined to our home here. It left NY ..went back to NY...left again..ended up back. Seems there was an issue with the paperwork at the border. So we called Fedex, said please, ship to Lewiston NY. It was delivered the next day-I picked up yesterday. We also just bought all new family room furniture there in Nov. Made in Nth Carolina...picked up this past Saturday. No probs at all..paid HST at the border and that was that.

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter