Bookstore With Map of United States Outside

CaliKT

Mouseketeer
This is reaching waaaaay back, but the first time I visited Walt Disney World in 1986, one day, instead of going to the parks, my mom took me to a cool bookstore that had a giant map of the United States outside it. There were little pools for the Great Lakes, and I just remember thinking it was the coolest thing. I am sure it is long gone, but I'm just curious: does anyone know what I'm talking about or what the name of the bookstore was? We did drive to Busch Gardens on one day in our trip, so it's possible it was on the way there.

This is reaching waaaaay back, but the first time I visited Walt Disney World in 1986, one day, instead of going to the parks, my mom took me to a cool bookstore that had a giant map of the United States outside it. There were little pools for the Great Lakes, and I just remember thinking it was the coolest thing. I am sure it is long gone, but I'm just curious: does anyone know what I'm talking about or what the name of the bookstore was? We did drive to Busch Gardens on one day in our trip, so it's possible it was on the way there.

I Think I may know EXACTLY what you are thinking of. The Building also had a large "life size" chess set/game outside as well.

It was located pretty much next to Sea World, and the building itself can still be seen from I-4 driving north just past the Seaworld Exit.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=28.41184...noid=wwNhI91LWD3MWD8mbKf0lA&cbp=12,44.32,,1,3

I Used to love that place as well. From what I recall, i think it closed (or started to change) shortly after Busch ended up purchasing the Sea World parks back in the 90's.

I'm guessing this may have been connected to Harcourt, the schoolbook publisher who owned Sea World for a while in the 80s. Up until 3 years ago, their HQ was across Sea Harbor Drive from Sea World. Was long gone by the time I worked there, but might be worth searching on Google.

That's it! I remember the chess set, too. We did go to SeaWorld that trip, now that I remember, so I'm sure it was when we went there. Off to Google some more...

Oooo...

I found some pictures....

BookZ87F-Page56-01.jpg

BookZ87F-Page55-02.jpg

BookZ87F-Page56-05.jpg

BookZ87F-Page56-02.jpg

BookZ87F-Page56-04.jpg

No wonder that place made a huge impression on me -- 25 years later, and I STILL think it looks awesome.

My uncle took me here whenever we went to Sea World. We loved going!! Ironically, he now works for a book publisher, specializing in science textbooks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter