Booking with an agent questions

njchilds

Earning My Ears
We are planning our trip for August 2015 and after hearing from several people about a great deal through an agent I called and got a quote. The quote was pretty darn good. We have been to disney multiple times, but have always booked directly with disney. What are the cons of not holding your own reservation? Do you still get to make reservations 180 days +10? Am I missing something to consider when booking with an agent?

Any feedback is appreciated.

The con to me is that the agent owns the reservation until you physically check in at the resort. You cannot make any changes to it, can't make any requests, can't add a discount, etc. IF you have a good agent that will do all those things, you're fine, but if your agent is lazy, too busy, whatever, you can't do much about it. I am too anal to depend on anyone to book a trip for me. You just have to decide what you are comfortable with.

You will be able to do all of your dining and fast passes yourself, if you choose to. You will just have to make requests and payments through your agent. No worries about watching for a better offer...you won't get one better than that special rate! Disney never beats it! :)

From my personal experience, I've booked with Agents and Disney directly. The only CON booking via an agent, is anytime you wish to add a request, or modify anything, you have to go through them. Example, I wanted to request connecting rooms after booking via the agent, and I tried calling disney and they told me to call my agent... Well, that agent, once paid isn't very helpful. Thankfully the request was added, but I'll think twice before booking via an agent again.
In the end, if the deal is too great to pass up, go for it.. But if it's the same price Agent vs. Direct, Book direct.

njchilds said:
We are planning our trip for August 2015 and after hearing from several people about a great deal through an agent I called and got a quote. The quote was pretty darn good. We have been to disney multiple times, but have always booked directly with disney. What are the cons of not holding your own reservation? Do you still get to make reservations 180 days +10? Am I missing something to consider when booking with an agent?

My agent is the bees knees and answers my questions at all hours of the day and night. She will also be up at midnight for those fp+ She called and was on hold for hours on order to secure discounts.

My agent is incredible and I will use her again and again.

Have never used an agent for Disney because it is so easy to use their computer system and I truly don't mind stalking discounts. Just hunted one down for a coworker I enjoy the chase that much. Yes, they do have doctors for this stuff ;)

I have used agents on various other trips and have yet to use one that was fully helpful. The one for my Florence trip couldn't be reached when my hotel insisted she hadn't paid them and rebilled me for my stay. And the emergency number she gave me didn't work. She did take care of it once I was home, but I spent nine hours on a plane alternating between tears and fury. Another kept calling me at work and would not shut up. Lady, if I get fired I can't travel. The one for my cruise couldn't tell me about the precruise hotels and suggest I research it myself online making her pointless...when I never got my travel docs I called to find she no longer worked there and I had some new woman have to figure out the details and get me my papers. Another basically was me doing it via remote control as I knew more than she did and had to tell her everything. Those are just the most recent problems.

In all of those cases, had I done it myself, none of those issues would have cropped up. For Disney, it is not worth the hassle of dealing with travel people. If I saw a discount online and the agent missed it I would not be pleased. For all the stories of agents who rebook to save money, or who get you upgrades, I have never had one lower a price or get me so much as a Hershey kiss left in my room let alone take me from a regular room to the penthouse suite.

You can still book ADR's and FP+ if you go through an agent. I booked through the same agency for the GF! Payments and room requests have to be made through the agency, but I would have to call Disney to do that anyway so I don't see the big deal in calling my agent to do it (a phone call is a phone call).

The only snag I've run into is that my SIL both have reservations for February. I booked with Disney and she booked with an agent. We can't get our reservations linked for some reason??? They put in the comments of our reservations for rooms to be next to each other or as close as possible with each other's reservation number.

As others have said, any requests and payments have to go through the agent, but everything else like ADRs, FPP, etc. can be done by you. I am booked with the same agency under that deal for an August 2015 trip and although I prefer to book myself as I've always done, this was a deal I couldn't pass up. Also, as a pp mentioned, you will not get a better rate booking yourself through Disney. We booked Poly CL with a discount of about 45%, which is very hard to pass up!!

Are the cancellation rules the same with this special rate?

The cancellation is different for packages and the deposit/balance due is different for RO. A deposit of $200 is required for either reservation type, with payment due 45 days prior to arrival for both RO and packages. As far as a full refund, as long as you cancel at least 5 days prior to arrival (for both reservation types), the full amount paid is refunded.

I've always booked on my own directly through Disney because I loved having full control of all aspects of my reservation. However this "magical" discount that is being offered is too good to pass up. Like a pp mentioned, what's the difference between placing a phone call to Disney or an agent if you want to change something. My only issue is that I can't buy a dining plan, but again the discount is too great to pass up.

As agents we are paid about 48 hours after you check out of your hotel.

We are like people in all professions - some are better than others. Interview yours fully before committing - make your expectations clear and also be clear what to expect from her/him. I have clients who don't want me to do much besides book, make payments, and watch for any additional discounts. Then I have clients who let me do everything. I am up at midnight and stalking MDE daily for FP+, ADRS, anything. A few times I have sent clients off to WDW with a list of where to be when - they simply said, plan it all and tell us what to do. I choose attractions based on what they tell me they like. So, we are out here! Demand as much as you like from your TA. The truth is, the good ones really enjoy being hands on with your trip! You don't have to put up with lackluster service .. it is YOUR vacation and YOUR money and you should get what you want from the TA experience - no more, no less.

Thank you all so much for your input. This why I love the disboards when planning. I plan to book tonight because the price is too good to give up. We plan to do club level so room requests aren't even an issue at the Poly. I will continue to plan because I have no idea how to set up the new fastpass system. Thanks again!

I've never booked with an agent but did for our upcoming trip. Only because it's an awesome deal. I will do all of my own ADRs and fast pass plus.

Google "magical Labor Day deal" and it'll come up.

I used an agent for the first time this past Labor Day for the great price (200/night at the Yacht Club!). She was quite nice, always got back to me with a quick turnaround when I had a question, but I planned all the ADRs and FP+s. I went ahead with the same agent for next Labor Day and another fantastic rate in February. I understand their discounts book fast, but the rates are so much better than what I'm seeing from Disney with their GP/AP/FL discounts and from third party sites, such as Travelocity.

Want to report I did book with an agent and even though she said high volume would have my conf code arriving in 2-5 days it was here in less than 24 hours. It linked easily to my disney account. So it was a good start.

Side note they give the coveted 12 digit code you need for lunch at BOG so no hunting for it this time around

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter