Booking while Onboard for someone not onboard:)

wfgamble

Mouseketeer
I've tried to get answers for this, and it may just be that there's no good answer with the new changes to Onboard Bookings or I've just missed the info but I'd love to know what you all think or if you've had experience with this:

DH and I are sailing with DD6 in May. We want to rebook while onboard and my brother and his wife want to join us on our next cruise--they will not be with us on the May cruise. Can I book one room under my name and include my SIL and DD6 in that room (which will in actuality be for me, DH and DD6) and then can DH book a room for him and my brother (which in actuality will be for DB and SIL)? I'm thinking that this is the only way to get them a room at discount with OBC since we can no longer book for friends and family that aren't on the current cruise. Am I correct? Can this be done?:confused3

Thanks! Whitney

Yes that is the way to do this!

And you get the benefit of having a Castaway Club member in each stateroon if your in laws are not yet members.

Yes, you can do this. The only catch is that you'll have to put the deposit onto your credit card, or have their physical credit card in hand. They won't take a credit card number/exp date written on a piece of paper for someone else.

Jerry

so if it's just myself and my daughter sailing can I rebook onboard for us plus my mom? Sorry, I'm confused now lol!

Thanks so much everyone! DB is going to give me the money before I leave so I'll have it in my account (I pay with Visa debit/credit card) so no problem there but thanks for mentioning it.

Mom2Kaylee--sorry, I don't have an answer to your question.

My understanding is that each family (defined as person or persons listing the same address on the current cruise) can book a maximum of 2 cabins for the same future cruise date. Thus, you can book one cabin for yourself and one for a family member who does not have to be on the current cruise.

Note--I have not personally tested this. This is what I got from reading the regs and talking with my TA.

WHOA!:eek: Back up there.

So, we can NO LONGER book for friends (who are already CC members) for a future cruise date? If they give us cash, and their CC numbers, are we able to do that? (They might sail with us in March, but they can probably only do it if they receive the 10% discount.) I understand about dividing names (we've never done that) but will they let us switch rooms/names upon check-in?:confused:

My understanding is that each family (defined as person or persons listing the same address on the current cruise) can book a maximum of 2 cabins for the same future cruise date. Thus, you can book one cabin for yourself and one for a family member who does not have to be on the current cruise.

Note--I have not personally tested this. This is what I got from reading the regs and talking with my TA.

I just did this on our Magic cruise. Only DS and I sailed, but I booked 2 rooms (DS who was onboard and DH) and (DS who was not onboard and myself). The two of us who were gold split into the two rooms for the OBC.

so if it's just myself and my daughter sailing can I rebook onboard for us plus my mom? Sorry, I'm confused now lol!

Are you looking to book 2 rooms? If so, put yourself in one and your DD in the other with your mom. If not, then just go ahead and book 1 room with all three of you in it.

WHOA!:eek: Back up there.

So, we can NO LONGER book for friends (who are already CC members) for a future cruise date? If they give us cash, and their CC numbers, are we able to do that? (They might sail with us in March, but they can probably only do it if they receive the 10% discount.) I understand about dividing names (we've never done that) but will they let us switch rooms/names upon check-in?:confused:

The new rules don't say anything about whether the people you are booking for are CC members or how they/you pay the deposit. It says that each family cruising can book up to 2 cabins on one given cruise date in the future. You don't have to divide the names, but people do that to put the highest CC category in each room. And yes, you can reshuffle the rooms/names at GS after boarding.

Granted it has been awhile (May 2011), but on my last cruise I was told by the person at the rebooking desk that I could book up to four future cruises because we had four in our party, even though two of those were my children. I was able to book 3 cruises for my family and one was booked directly in my mom's name. I had her credit card with me and they took that for her deposit. I booked one room each in my name and my DH's name for one sailing date and then a two additional staterooms with my name on one and my mom's name on the other for an additional sailing date. Clear as mud? LOL

The only thing the booking CM said to me was that it was more difficult to change the lead guests name after booking, although I can't imagine why that would be.

Granted it has been awhile (May 2011), but on my last cruise I was told by the person at the rebooking desk that I could book up to four future cruises because we had four in our party, even though two of those were my children. I was able to book 3 cruises for my family and one was booked directly in my mom's name. I had her credit card with me and they took that for her deposit. I booked one room each in my name and my DH's name for one sailing date and then a two additional staterooms with my name on one and my mom's name on the other for an additional sailing date. Clear as mud? LOL

The only thing the booking CM said to me was that it was more difficult to change the lead guests name after booking, although I can't imagine why that would be.

They have just recently reduced the number of future cruises you can book.

The rules have changed. The full text of the new rules is at the sticky at the top of the boards.

It sounds like your plan would work, though I'd also recommend trying to first book your family in 1 room and their family in the 2nd room rather than mixing. While mixing gets both rooms CC benefits which is nice, I'm always concerned about what happens if the other family can't sail after all. If you'd still cruise even if they weren't along, then it could be hard to reshuffle the names around on the reservations at a later date. However, if you'd only cruise if you both cruised, then that isn't an issue.

I spent a lot of time on the Fantasy MV talking with Leslie about the new rebooking policy, which was made even more interesting as her boss was onboard that week as well.

I was able to rebook two rooms for my friends on a future cruise date, but in doing so I was unable to book a separate reservation for my own family (which I expected under the new policy, but asked anyway - luckily I have several already out there.) She looked very carefully at the policy before she'd let me book since her boss was watching! But since we were 1 household booking up to 2 rooms for 1 single date (even though we weren't booking 1 of those rooms for us), we fell into the policy. (Note, just to be on the safe side, I did move one of my existing bookings to their cruise prior to our cruise so I was booking them on a cruise that I was already on.)

One important change from prior rebooking efforts - Leslie said they are no longer allowed to transfer funds from one reservation to another, so even though my friends had reservations already booked through DCL (as we've done on prior rebooking events), I had to quickly get his credit card information while onboard to pay the deposit. So please be aware of that change in policy and come prepared!

You can always book additional reservations while onboard, and get the OBC, but not the discounted rate or deposit.

The new rules don't say anything about whether the people you are booking for are CC members or how they/you pay the deposit. It says that each family cruising can book up to 2 cabins on one given cruise date in the future.

My understanding is that if the 2nd room is not booked for the same family as on the current cruise, it will only get the OBC but not the discount or reduced deposit. Additional rooms can also be booked beyond the 2 cabins/1 date, yet they also will not qualify for the discount or reduced deposit.

It sounds like your plan would work, though I'd also recommend trying to first book your family in 1 room and their family in the 2nd room rather than mixing. While mixing gets both rooms CC benefits which is nice, I'm always concerned about what happens if the other family can't sail after all. If you'd still cruise even if they weren't along, then it could be hard to reshuffle the names around on the reservations at a later date. However, if you'd only cruise if you both cruised, then that isn't an issue.

I spent a lot of time on the Fantasy MV talking with Leslie about the new rebooking policy, which was made even more interesting as her boss was onboard that week as well.

I was able to rebook two rooms for my friends on a future cruise date, but in doing so I was unable to book a separate reservation for my own family (which I expected under the new policy, but asked anyway - luckily I have several already out there.) She looked very carefully at the policy before she'd let me book since her boss was watching! But since we were 1 household booking up to 2 rooms for 1 single date (even though we weren't booking 1 of those rooms for us), we fell into the policy. (Note, just to be on the safe side, I did move one of my existing bookings to their cruise prior to our cruise so I was booking them on a cruise that I was already on.)

One important change from prior rebooking efforts - Leslie said they are no longer allowed to transfer funds from one reservation to another, so even though my friends had reservations already booked through DCL (as we've done on prior rebooking events), I had to quickly get his credit card information while onboard to pay the deposit. So please be aware of that change in policy and come prepared!

You can always book additional reservations while onboard, and get the OBC, but not the discounted rate or deposit.

First off thanks to the OP for asking this question! I was just going to ask the same questions.

Halls, I was thinking about what you said and I actually think it may be a benefit if you have your actual party split up. I don't know if this has changed, but in the past you were allowed to keep a cabin if the main member of the cabin was still cruising and then you can change the other people in the cabin. In the case of the OP if she has herself in one cabin and her DH in the other then IF the other family isn't able to go, she can still use that room for say another family to come with them. We just had this happen for our upcoming trip in June. My nephew could not go due to work issues (which of course you can't know when booking two years out) and we have good friends that wanted to take over the reservation. But they could not because none of the original bookees were cruising. IF I had myself booked in that room we could have added the other family keeping the On board credit and discount plus locking in the 2 year earlier rate.

I am planning on doing this every time from now on because we like to cruise with at least one other family.

One quick question. My DSis is a higher CC member. So when we sail to the Caribbean in June we are planning on booking Alaska for next year. We will be adding a cabin for my parents which looks like we can do if we split members of the family up. I am thinking that we should have my Sister book my parents room placing herself in their room and then her DH and Son in the other room, that way they would both get the extra on board credit due to the Gold members. Am I understanding that right?

We also want to book some friends to do Alaska with us so I will book them using myself and my DH and they will have to be stuck with the lower Silver CC onboard credit! :laughing: OH well!

My understanding is that if the 2nd room is not booked for the same family as on the current cruise, it will only get the OBC but not the discount or reduced deposit. Additional rooms can also be booked beyond the 2 cabins/1 date, yet they also will not qualify for the discount or reduced deposit.

The first part of your understanding is incorrect. The first 1 or 2 rooms has to be booked for the same date, but it's silent as to whether that family is onboard or not. As noted in my post above, I was able to book 2 rooms for the same family that was not onboard for a future cruise date.

The first part of your understanding is incorrect. The first 1 or 2 rooms has to be booked for the same date, but it's silent as to whether that family is onboard or not. As noted in my post above, I was able to book 2 rooms for the same family that was not onboard for a future cruise date.

Actually, I would consider that you got a little pixie dust :yay: but others probably shouldn't expect the same (it might happen, but don't count on it).
This is from the sticky at the top of the page:

***New rules for Onboard Bookings

Effective 03/04/2012

When booking onboard, you are allowed to book 2 reservations per household that will receive the 10% discount, 50% deposit reduction and onboard credit (based on Castaway Club level). They must be for the same sail date. You will not be allowed to book these for someone not on the sailing and that is not in your household.

Disney Cruise Line will allow you to book more then the 2 reservations for future sailings but they will not have the 50% deposit reduction or 10% Discount. They will have an onboard credit (based on Castaway Club level). There is nothing stating these have to be in the same household so this basically replaces the Friends & Family certificate without giving additional 30 days after sailing to book.

Last week on board the Wonder, we booked 4 rooms for the Fantasy for May 2013. We had 5 people in two rooms. We added 1 new person to these rooms, and then booked 2 rooms for new cruisers. We were able to do this as our on board party had 2 addresses (my mom and us). We didnt put ourselves in the two new rooms, and those rooms get the OBC and we only paid the 10% deposit. Each address can book 2 rooms for the same cruise w/all benefits.

Actually, I would consider that you got a little pixie dust :yay: but others probably shouldn't expect the same (it might happen, but don't count on it).
This is from the sticky at the top of the page:

***New rules for Onboard Bookings

Effective 03/04/2012

When booking onboard, you are allowed to book 2 reservations per household that will receive the 10% discount, 50% deposit reduction and onboard credit (based on Castaway Club level). They must be for the same sail date. You will not be allowed to book these for someone not on the sailing and that is not in your household.

Disney Cruise Line will allow you to book more then the 2 reservations for future sailings but they will not have the 50% deposit reduction or 10% Discount. They will have an onboard credit (based on Castaway Club level). There is nothing stating these have to be in the same household so this basically replaces the Friends & Family certificate without giving additional 30 days after sailing to book.

As mentioned, the boss of the onboard booking team was onboard the sailing, so I can assure you I was within policy and no pixie dust permitted. Not sure where the guidance you posted came from, but that's different from other guidance I've seen posted which is silent about who you can book for.

The policy I've seen posted said "Effective 03/04/2012, Guests may only reserve up to TWO staterooms per household for one future sail date."
After that, you can still book additional staterooms but you will only receive an onboard credit. You will not receive the 50% deposit or 10% discount."

My translation of this, which was confirmed by multiple TAs on the preview cruise before my trip as well as by the onboard booking team during my trip (again, with their boss watching carefully!), was that our family (1 household) could book up to 2 rooms for a single sailing date and receive full benefits, regardless of who we booked those rooms for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter