Booking using DVC points

Danauk

<font color=green>I would be sitting on the patio
There is a possibility that we can stay onsite on our trip using DVC points (I am aware that some people might say it is better to rent the points and pay cash but they are not our points but belong to friends who are coming on the trip too.)
When we stayed at Disneyland Paris on DVC points the package included our hopper passes for the length of our stay. Is this the case at DL too or will be have to buy our park passes seperately?
Thanks.

We used DVC points for our upcoming May trip, and personally I think it's a good value even though I always seem to hear otherwise. It was 19 pts/night for a standard view at DLH, so even if we had rented points, that's only about $190/nt including all taxes and fees! Pretty good deal to me! We can't wait!

That points value seems quite good to me, I always was lead to believe it would be a lot more than that. My friend is looking at us staying at the GCH with either a theme park or DTD view. Maybe the points are more at DLP as it does include the hopper passes for length of stay and breakfast every morning.

Points for the onsite DL hotels used to not be such a good deal. However, when the 50th anniversary kicked up, they lowered points per night at DL from what they used to be. Also, DVC is now being advertised and sold at DL so they need to back that up with good point values. Another consideration is that the onsite hotels are much higher in their rates now than they used to be. Gone are the days when you could get the DLH for $150 a night or less. Back then when rates like that were available, and points were higher it was not a good deal. Its much different now. If you have the points, why not use them the way it works best for you? Our premium view room in June at the DLH is 26 points per night. At the member price of $5.5 per point that is $143 a night. Rack rate is $265 plus tax and daily resort fee which will bring that very close to $300 a night give or take. You don't pay that resort fee or tax on points by the way. So we are saving roughly 50% and paying about what we would pay to stay at one of the motels on Harbor. To me thats a good deal! I also might add that points at the onsite Disneyland hotels are a much better deal than points at the deluxe, non dvc hotels at WDW. I know they are more than say a studio at OKW but you are also getting daily maid service, health club privilidges and staying in a deluxe level hotel.

Thanks for that info.
Next question, how far ahead can you book rooms at DL using DVC points?

Our premium view room in June at the DLH is 26 points per night. At the member price of $5.5 per point that is $143 a night. Rack rate is $265 plus tax and daily resort fee which will bring that very close to $300 a night give or take. You don't pay that resort fee or tax on points by the way.

Most people use $10 per point, as generally that is the going rate for rentals. So I used $10 a pt when I made my comparision and I agree with Amy&Dan that when you take in the fact your not paying resort fees or taxes you come out ahead. I also felt that they are my points to use as Iwant. I don't want the hassle of renting to strangers and using the cash to pay for my vacation. And I saved qiute a bit of money using points instead of cash so I say go for it!!!

There is no package that would include the tickets that I know of. They would need to be purchased seperatly.

For all our stays at DL we use our points and I do think it is well worth it. We could never afford $340.00 a night for GC otherwise. We live on the West Coast and only travel to WDW every third year so it works great for us! Like mentioned above, the going rental rate is $10.00 per point. GC for standard room is 24 pts (in value season Sun-Thur) so that would only be $240.00, sounds like a deal to me :)

I would say 11 months also. I just called for end of June this year last week and had no problem though (for DL they have lots of rooms there).

If they are your own points than I would think the $5.50 per point value would be correct. That how I figure cost at any time I book a Disney resort (DVC at WDW or DL onsite) since I am not renting those points from myself but rather just using them. If you are renting than yes it would be $10 which makes it less of a great deal depending on the rack rate you would be paying. It is definitely 11 months out to book. And be aware of course that once those points are used for Disneyland, they have to be used at Disneyland. If you cancel you can't put them back into your account for use at a DVC resort. At least that is what they always tell me when I do this!

Thanks for all the info, we are not renting the points, our friend is giving the points to us as a gift (I have wonderful friends!) We are definately going on the trip so the points will definately be used once they are booked so no danger of them not being used!!
One more quick question: When we have booked using the DVC points can we use the vacation planning service to book PS, tours etc? If so when would we call them to do that? We are going to be in DL during the 1st 2 weeks of August so I figured it would be busy then so I figured getting help making reservations would be useful (especially for the Fantasmic balcony seating!)

If they are your own points than I would think the $5.50 per point value would be correct. That how I figure cost at any time I book a Disney resort (DVC at WDW or DL onsite) since I am not renting those points from myself but rather just using them. If you are renting than yes it would be $10 which makes it less of a great deal depending on the rack rate you would be paying. It is definitely 11 months out to book. And be aware of course that once those points are used for Disneyland, they have to be used at Disneyland. If you cancel you can't put them back into your account for use at a DVC resort. At least that is what they always tell me when I do this!

I am quite sure that if you do make ressies at DL using points and must cancel those points may be used as "Disney Collection" points.

The Disney Collection includes many WDW hotels as well.

I am quite sure that if you do make ressies at DL using points and must cancel those points may be used as "Disney Collection" points.

Thats what I thought too. I think the woman at MS didn't know what she was talking about. Which is not unusual! But since the Disneyland onsite hotels are in the Disney Collection just like the GF and several others, I would think you would definitely be able to use them for that. Regardless of what they told me!

This is true it would go back into the collection you are using the points for at least this is what I was told by MS.

If they are your own points than I would think the $5.50 per point value would be correct.

I still think $10 is a fair assesment. Its no where near the $90-100/pt those pts cost on the market and you could easily get the $10/pt with very little effort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter