• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Booking solo dining

hulagirl87

DIS Veteran
I'm taking my very first solo trip which I'm excited about, but just booked it last week and obviously am having trouble getting any dining reservations that I would like. When you put in 1 person, it brings up some selections, but what I'm noticing is even if you put in 2, it brings up more choices. But wouldn't a solo person be sat at a table that would seat 2 anyways? And then when you put in 3 or 4 people that obviously brings up more choices, but I can't get away with booking a table for 4 and saying my whole party didn't want to come. :laughing: Last night on the dining app there was a Cinderella's Royal Table for breakfast which I would have died for, but it was for 2. Do they get mad if you book for 2 and only 1 person shows up?

Most of the time booking for 2 is just fine. Let them know when you check in. They won't charge you any no show fees as long as one person is there (so you could even book for 3, 4 people if needed). You can try to modify it yourself after, but if it won't let you don't worry about it.
I'm not sure how it works at pre-paid places like CRT, though.

It’s the bizarre algorithm Disney uses that favors even numbers.
Sure you can get away with booking 4 even if you only need 1. Just adjust the ADR after the fact.

Most of the time booking for 2 is just fine. Let them know when you check in. They won't charge you any no show fees as long as one person is there (so you could even book for 3, 4 people if needed). You can try to modify it yourself after, but if it won't let you don't worry about it.
I'm not sure how it works at pre-paid places like CRT, though.
Will NOT work in you favor when booking places like CRT as the meal is prepaid.

List your second at CRT as an under 3 so you aren't charged.

I just tried to modify 3 different ones I have booked for more than our party, and it wouldn't let me, saying it wasn't available to modify?

Book for 2. The Disney system doesn't like to recognize parties of one. There's no penalty so long as you show up.

that's exactly what I thought. And if they think 2 are coming and only 1 shows up, that's money lost.

I won't be surprised if some day in the near future they do put a stop to that, but for now they let it happen so you might as well do it because everyone else is.

When I travel solo, I always book for two. One way I justify it to myself is that I might meet someone (or run into someone I know) just before my meal, and want to invite them to dine with me. That's never happened, and I'm never charged for that second person.

I won't be surprised if some day in the near future they do put a stop to that, but for now they let it happen so you might as well do it because everyone else is.
The reason people do it is because of the programming built into Disney’s ADR booking system that doesn’t recognize odd numbered parties (of 1, 3, 5, 7, etc.). It’s been going on since Disney started their online ADR system. If they wanted to stop it, they could have done it years ago - and dealt with the outrage from people who booked for one extra person only because they couldn’t get a table otherwise.

The reason people do it is because of the programming built into Disney’s ADR booking system that doesn’t recognize odd numbered parties (of 1, 3, 5, 7, etc.). It’s been going on since Disney started their online ADR system. If they wanted to stop it, they could have done it years ago - and dealt with the outrage from people who booked for one extra person only because they couldn’t get a table otherwise.
Randomly checked Epcot at 60 just now and got 8 results for 1 person, 8 for 2 people, 7 for 3 people and 9 results for 4 people.
The point was the in the era of “new Disney” where everything is a cut back, value is lost, and shortening your attraction wait time costs money now - they could easily change the no-show charge policy to be per person at any time and I wouldn’t be surprised if they did.

The algorithm does seem worse at the moment. I am booking for a party of 3, and even then sometimes it shows no availability for 3 but lots for 4. And even when I try to modify it shows no availability for 3. Grandma’s ghost at every meal?

I'm going to guess that the ADR system is based on the premise of table size - two topper, four topper and six topper. They likely have the number of each size in each restaurant set in their database and release tables for available booking based on what table types show available. Some specific places might have specific seating set aside in their database for one - maybe something like the counter at Beaches 'N Cream - but there would be very few venues where this would apply.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter