Booking resort room vs. DVC villas

bleeps

DIS Veteran
Hello!

We've been to WDW many times and have always stayed in an onsite resort (YC and BC are our favorites). As I'm clicking around to price an upcoming trip on the Disney site, I'm seeing that you can select to stay in a DVC villa, and a studio villa is less expensive than a resort hotel room.

We never thought about booking a stay in one of the villas before. Can anyone give me pros and cons? Am I reading things correctly, that anyone can book one of these DVC rooms, if it is available, directly through Disney?

The only drawback to the studio villa that I see at the moment would be that DS (14) would have to sleep on the pull-out sofa -- but would the room be a little bigger overall? Seems like having the kitchenette (and laundry? is that true) could make up for that.....

Yes, DVC units can be booked for cash reservations through Disney if available. We've never stayed in any of the villas, but we did get to see a studio at BCV and the room didn't look any bigger than a regular resort room. The studios do have a kitchenette, but do not have washers/dryers; only 1 & 2 bedroom villas and grand villas have the stacked washer/dryer.

There's no laundry in a studio(have to go one bedroom or up to get that). I could never stay in a regular hotel room after staying at villas(we were DVC for years, but sold it 5 years ago when our trips became more sporadic). My minimum is a one bedroom now, but I've stayed in a studio years ago and loved it. Having the microwave and fridge was a huge advantage over a regular room.

Studios come with one queen-size bed and a double sleeper sofa. . There is a wet bar with under-counter refrigerator, microwave oven and coffeemaker.There is no laundry in the studios.The 1bdr-2bdr have The Jacuzzi tubs in the bathroom ,full kitchen and washer and dryer
Personally unless a studio is significantly cheaper, I would book a regular resort room.

We only stay in the villas (and we're not DVC) because I need a 2 bedroom. LOVE having the kitchen and w/d and can't imagine staying without them.

Just having the small kitchenette is worth it to me! I love having the sink, microwave and "dorm" refrigerator with tiny freezer. Great for freezing gogurts, ice packs etc.

Hello!

We've been to WDW many times and have always stayed in an onsite resort (YC and BC are our favorites). As I'm clicking around to price an upcoming trip on the Disney site, I'm seeing that you can select to stay in a DVC villa, and a studio villa is less expensive than a resort hotel room.

We never thought about booking a stay in one of the villas before. Can anyone give me pros and cons? Am I reading things correctly, that anyone can book one of these DVC rooms, if it is available, directly through Disney?

The only drawback to the studio villa that I see at the moment would be that DS (14) would have to sleep on the pull-out sofa -- but would the room be a little bigger overall? Seems like having the kitchenette (and laundry? is that true) could make up for that.....
Here's a link to the sizes of the studios at all of the DVC resorts:
http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=43063865&postcount=4

And here's a page that has the square footage for all of the resort rooms in one place:
http://www.plan-a-magical-vacation.com/disney-world-room-sizes.html

You'll notice that all of the DVC studios are bigger than the Value Resort rooms. But many of the deluxe resort rooms are actually larger than all but the the largest studio room at OKW. So, it's going to depend on what you are used to having. You might also want to note that the square footage at the villas include the kitchenette area, which the deluxe rooms don't have. This makes the deluxe rooms feel even bigger.

I stayed in an AKV studio last January. It was very tight when the sleeper sofa was opened up. In fact, you could not easily get around the open sofa bed to open the door to the balcony. AKV studios are among the smallest of the DVC resorts. If you're thinking of staying there because it is less expensive than the other DVC resorts, just be aware that you will be sacrificing space.

We own DVC and those studios are very cramped once you open the sleeper sofa. Our rule is that if we are staying more than 2 to a room, we go to a 1 bedroom or book a regular hotel room because I can't stand the cramped room with that sleeper open. You have to move the coffee table/trunk and then you practically have to crawl over the sleeper to get to the balcony. Also, there is a lot less clothing storage in the studios vs a hotel room. Old Key West is the only one I'd pick for 2+ people.

The sleeper may be comfortable enough for a teenager but our adult guests have all complained about sleeping on them. In fact, my best friend slept last year on one when we did a girlfriends Food & Wine trip and this year she said she'd get her own hotel room before she'd sleep for free on that sleeper again. :rotfl:

We stayed in a BLT studio 9/2-9/8, and while it was small for 2 adults and a 4 year old it wasn't bad at all. I slept on the sofa bed and slept fine the entire week.

The kitchenette was good to have but the small fridge froze almost everything.

The only time we spent in the room was to sleep really, and no one complained about the room size when they were asleep :)

I thought the studio was perfect for a small family, it was a little bigger than the CBR Pirate room we stayed in last year actually.

You will not notice a very big difference between a regular room and a DVC Studio. And with a DVC Studio you will not have your room serviced like you would on the resort side. With DVC they will drop off extra towels and stuff mid-week, but that's about it.

I personally think the Villas at the BC are tucked back a little too much and you almost feel secluded. Some people would prefer that, DW and I rather be in the thick of things.

For DW and I if it were between a studio and a regular room I think we would pick a regular room. Now as PPs have stated a 1BR is a completely different story. Just for the washer and dryer alone I think it is worth it. Much less a fully functional and stocked kitchen.

PAcpl said:
You will not notice a very big difference between a regular room and a DVC Studio. And with a DVC Studio you will not have your room serviced like you would on the resort side. With DVC they will drop off extra towels and stuff mid-week, but that's about it.

If you pay cash you room is serviced like any other hotel room. Heck they did my dishes if I left any at the BWV.

If you stay under DVC points then you room isn't serviced every day.

If you pay cash you room is serviced like any other hotel room. Heck they did my dishes if I left any at the BWV.

If you stay under DVC points then you room isn't serviced every day.

Wow, never knew that. Very nice!

Wow, never knew that. Very nice!

If you reserve your DVC villa through Disney Reservation Center, you get a full cleaning every day. If you reserve your DVC villa through Member Services or through a member, you get limited service. If you stay seven nights or fewer, you get your trash removed and towels replaced on day four with day one as check in. If you stay eight nights or more, you get a full cleaning on day four and trash and towel service on day eight.

I'd choose a standard hotel room over a studio almost any time. If I had to stay in a studio (and use my points), I'd stay in an OKW studio just for the two queen beds. The two of us don't sleep well together in one queen bed and why should either of us sleep on the sleeper sofa? That's reserved for our son when he goes with us.

Thanks, everyone!! I've been continuing to do research, and all the excellent information people shared here has been extremely helpful! I think we're going to price the 1 bedroom vs the standard deluxe resort and see where we end up.

Thanks again!

Thanks, everyone!! I've been continuing to do research, and all the excellent information people shared here has been extremely helpful! I think we're going to price the 1 bedroom vs the standard deluxe resort and see where we end up.

Thanks again!

Even with a one bedroom, your son will still sleep on a sleeper sofa instead of a real bed. There is only one king bed and either a queen sized sleeper sofa or a queen sized sleeper sofa and a twin sized sleeper chair - depending on the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter