Booking other than WDW Resorts

jcljmagic

Earning My Ears
Looking into buying at VB to join DVC. Interested in finding out if anyone has tried to use their points to travel around the US or the world. How easy was this? How far in advance did you plan the trip?

It is easy to stay elsewhere but you get murdered on your points. I stayed at the Sagamore this year and the value of my points were about 30% of what they would be at my home resort, OKW

Thanks for the input Pa@okw95. Do you suggest not joining the DVC if you don't intend to go to WDW every year? We were thinking of going to WDW every 2 or 3 years and using our points in alternating years to go elsewhere. Is this a bad idea?

Originally posted by jcljmagic
Thanks for the input Pa@okw95. Do you suggest not joining the DVC if you don't intend to go to WDW every year? We were thinking of going to WDW every 2 or 3 years and using our points in alternating years to go elsewhere. Is this a bad idea?

It's not a bad idea - it's just not the most economical way to implement your plan. The best value for your DVC membership is to use it for a DVC resort. In the situation you describe, I would probably just buy enough points to go to Disney every other year or every third year. I'd either pay cash for the non-Disney vacations, or buy a less expensive timeshare to trade for the non-Disney options. JMHO. YMMV.

I would not buy Vero if you don't plan to ever stay there. It has the highest dues of all the DVC resorts and in my opinion will have the least resale value in the future. If you do intend to stay at WDW every 2 or 3 years and trade out, buy at a WDW resort. OKW has the lowest dues and you could probably find a good resale.

If you plan to go to WDW every other year or so, look at how many points you can use for those trips then look at other alternatives for the other trip interests. Maybe just renting, other timeshares, specials, etc.

The other programs are not guaranteed and are too expensive for routine use.

I own ah HH but have only stayed there once. I go to DW every year but not during the popular times, so I don't feel the need to own at WDW to get the 7 month window. I have used the points to stay at hotels in NYC and Calf. No problem any time. I agree that VB would probably not be your best bet. I intend to add on and was pretty sure I would bite the bullet and buy BCV, but have since changed my mind; will add on at HH, pay less dues and book at 11 months. No matter which resort you call "home", DVC will be the best decision you'll ever make.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter