Booking Hotel thru Trip Advisor?

WDW Princess 71

DIS Veteran
Has anyone booked a pre cruise hotel through Trip Advisor? I didn't even know Trip Advisor did bookings but while reading hotel reviews today and I had my dates in for Vancouver this July before our Alaska cruise, it showed prices. The lowest for the Pan Pacific hotel that I'm interested in was $253/night but this was only offered through booking via Trip Advisor. The other booking options like the recognizable ones were all over $100 more expensive which is what the Pan Pacific has been showing for months for my dates, even on its own site. So, I'm just a little skeptical and would love to hear from anyone who booked this way? When I clicked book now it says "powered by cancel on" which I've also never heard of. My main concern is making sure this is a legit booking but also having the ability to cancel with no penalty if I find a better rate elsewhere between now and July. Any advice appreciated!

Has anyone booked a pre cruise hotel through Trip Advisor? I didn't even know Trip Advisor did bookings but while reading hotel reviews today and I had my dates in for Vancouver this July before our Alaska cruise, it showed prices. The lowest for the Pan Pacific hotel that I'm interested in was $253/night but this was only offered through booking via Trip Advisor. The other booking options like the recognizable ones were all over $100 more expensive which is what the Pan Pacific has been showing for months for my dates, even on its own site. So, I'm just a little skeptical and would love to hear from anyone who booked this way? When I clicked book now it says "powered by cancel on" which I've also never heard of. My main concern is making sure this is a legit booking but also having the ability to cancel with no penalty if I find a better rate elsewhere between now and July. Any advice appreciated!

Just testing:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/

We're supposed to use the full URL of websites to see if they pass the filter.

Just testing:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/

We're supposed to use the full URL of websites to see if they pass the filter.

Where are all these rules posted? The terms of agreement when I joined were about not using profanity, bullying, clean, useful kind conversations, stuff like that...first I saw the no FB conversation and now a rule about using full links because some might not be allowed?

Where are all these rules posted? The terms of agreement when I joined were about not using profanity, bullying, clean, useful kind conversations, stuff like that...first I saw the no FB conversation and now a rule about using full links because some might not be allowed?

As to the "rule" about the full URL needing to be posted, it's just been passed on that, since this is a privately owned site, they ask that any links (particularly to any money making sites) be the full URL, so, if it's banned, the filter can take care of it.

FB links being banned is fairly recent:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3353477

Here's a link to the full guidelines policy (from the very top of the DISboards forums):
http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm/

As to the "rule" about the full URL needing to be posted, it's just been passed on that, since this is a privately owned site, they ask that any links (particularly to any money making sites) be the full URL, so, if it's banned, the filter can take care of it.

FB links being banned is fairly recent:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3353477

Here's a link to the full guidelines policy (from the very top of the DISboards forums):
http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm/

But there was no link, just the mention of a site name :confused3

Anyway, OP - are you actually booking through Trip Advisor? Anytime I've seen prices/booking options, they were through third parties like Expedia or Travelocity (usually shows a few options). I'd choose an option I knew/trusted (there are ones there I've never heard of - but I was most recently looking in South America, so they might be popular websites there).

But there was no link, just the mention of a site name :confused3 Anyway, OP - are you actually booking through Trip Advisor? Anytime I've seen prices/booking options, they were through third parties like Expedia or Travelocity (usually shows a few options). I'd choose an option I knew/trusted (there are ones there I've never heard of - but I was most recently looking in South America, so they might be popular websites there).

Hi- I've never booked thru them before, I just use it for reading reviews and researching, however this was the first time I noticed them offering to book thru them and the price was significantly cheaper than the other sites prices which they displayed including ones like you said above. It appears if you choose Book Now from the trip advisor option, it directs you to another page where it says "powered by cancel on" which I never heard of. Now I'm looking at all this on my phone so perhaps it will be clearer when I get a chance to look at it on a computer and maybe see more terms or catches, because the price is so much better it concerns me.

I used the"book now" feature to book a private condo I saw on their reviews . It took me to FlipKey, and that's how the booking was handled very smooth and professional. Also used once last year to book a flat in London. Same---good professional experience. I personally think that the site does a good job screening these agencies that collect bookings to pass on to travelers. Read the fine print--may even have a Trip Advisor guarantee or something related to pricing and reliability.

I booked a hotel in Hawaii using a link on TA. It took me to the hotel's direct website and pre-populated a promo code field that gave me a special TA rate.It worked great. I got a great rate and everything about the booking was perfect. It sounds like what you are seeing is different in that you would be booking through TA, whereas I was booking with the hotel direct.

The lowest for the Pan Pacific hotel that I'm interested in was $253/night but this was only offered through booking via Trip Advisor. The other booking options like the recognizable ones were all over $100 more expensive...

I went to Trip Advisor and didn't get anything that cheap for Vancouver.
  • Was it a limited deal?
  • Just wondering if you were looking at the Pan Pacific Whistler that's 2hrs away. Yes, I did get some nice rates there for July.

I went to Trip Advisor and didn't get anything that cheap for Vancouver. [*]Was it a limited deal? [*]Just wondering if you were looking at the Pan Pacific Whistler that's 2hrs away. Yes, I did get some nice rates there for July.

It appears to keep fluctuating. On Sunday it showed 253, yesterday close to 400 again, then today at work it was 253 but tonight it was back up to near 400. Very skeptical at this point plus I also looked at the cancel on dot com website directly and it says it is about buying and selling hotel reservations almost like a trade or something. I don't get a good feeling about I think we are going to pass and hope a better rate comes out or pick another hotel.

One thing to note too on these booking websites . . . many times, these sites will tack on your fees at the end, and the total price will be much higher than the one they advertise up front.

Just a side note - I've had pretty decent luck with kayak.com lately. You might want to give them a try.

Also, I know folks who booked the Pan on hotwire as a secret hotel. I THINK it was the only 5 star hotel in the Coal Harbor area. Double check that though as its been a while. Good luck!

Jodie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter