Booking Excursions Early...don't

xanadubeach

Earning My Ears
We just returned from a wonderful (but cold) Wonder 4 day cruise to the Bahamas. Everything was great but since it was cold many people wanted to cancel their excursions (all those that involved being in the water or on a beach). Because many had booked early they could NOT get their money back (DCL has a no refund policy). Live and learn (but an expensive lesson).

My suggestion is that you should wait to book your excursions (even renting the floats and snorkelilng equipment at Castaway Cay) until you know the weather forcast (especialy if traveling in the winter months).

Just my observations and suggestion. Happy Cruising!

I was told by DCL just yesterday, that cancellation refunds would be made if excursions cancelled 48 hrs. (2 days) prior. Weather is never a guarantee anywhere - the risk will always be there.

If an excursion is CANCELLED, due to weather DCL will refund money. If the excursion is still going and people decided it is too cold for them, they would not get their money back.

On the 1/4 Magic we never made it Grand Cayman due to rough seas and many people started lining up at the Shore Excursion desk and Guest Service to get refunds on their excursions.....DCL immediately made an announcement that all excursions made thru DCL for Grand Cayman would automatically be credited back to their accounts. No one needed to stand in line. They also credited back our Grand Cayman port charges!!!

MJ

all in all...I like the ability to book shore excursions prior to the cruise. This made one less stop during the 'ressie scramble'.

Yes, weather will always be a factor...our 1/18 Magic cruise missed Castaway Cay. Announcements were made that excursions would be refunded without visiting Guest Services.

I'm not sure I can agree with not booking excursions early. We are
going on the Wonder this month and were not able to get reservations
for the dolphin encounter. We were really dissapointed. The Disney
rep told me this excursion books very quickly and I should not hope
for cancellations as this rarley happens. This was just my experience,
so if there is something you really want to do I think you should get
your spot early. J.

and watch the weather closer to the sailing date. According to the DCL website, excursions are final 2 days before sailing - so there is time to cancel. Weather is a wild card, especially during certain times of the year. I would recommend booking to ensure availability, and then changing later if necessary.

On our 12/7 last month it was VERY windy when we go into Castaway Cay. DH had prebooked his parasailing but his stomach was feeling a bit iffy and he was concerned with the wind that he would "add to the environment" if he went up. We went to guest services expained the situation and they had no problem crediting us back for the parasail.

We learned this lesson at WDW with Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. The night we were scheduled, the weather was cold with torrential rains and most everything was cancelled. We were told that if we sent back our bracelets, we would get a refund. I did receive a call a few weeks ago saying that our refund was being processed (actually it was a choice between refund and a one day park hopper pass).

The only excursion I ever scheduled was for Nikki's Horsebackriding at Grand Cayman but Hurricane Lili diverted us and although Nikki had my credit card, it wasn't charged due to the weather. I will get to Nikki's yet!

Waiting for some fun in the sun while it's haze and cold here in Indiana - anyone want some extra snow?

Rae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter