Booking disney vacation not as safe as i thought it was

Really?!?! I can't believe they get that much training!
I know. I'm a virtual agent for a different company and we got 3 weeks of training. I worked out of the center for 1 year and then went home but there are numerous people who started from home even doing training from home. Most companies employ virtual agents and you would never even know. I know my company monitors for quality assurance. They are listening to the calls while at the same time watching what you are doing on your computer screen. If you were entering a credit card number anywhere but into the secure field on your screen they would see you. I don't believe virtual agents are less secure than non virtual agents.

Why does everyone think the Internet and phone transactions are riskier than handing your card to a waiter or waitress who could just as easily steal your info? Besides, It's your social security number that you need to worry about, because that can be used to open accounts in your name.

I worked at a call center and there was a guy that got fired for stealing card numbers. He would use scratch paper we had to write the numbers on and then get the client to repeat the numbers to verify they were given to us correctly. Apparently he would press heavy with his pen while the paper was still on the pad and take home a blank piece of paper. That paper had the info impressed into it so he had all the info he needed. He got away with it for a while because he never took the scratch paper home, just a blank page.

At least they don't hire prisoners for call centers that use CCs. I worry about call centers in foreign countries. You might not know you are calling one. Does my CC company still have to help me with bogus foreign charges?

My DD was hired back in January to work for a Disney travel agency. She is paid by the agency who is paid by Disney. She did training on her own, online at home, until she was done, not sure how long that took. She works out of her home, and doesn't have to have her own land line. She has plenty of online resources available, and she can also call into the agency for resources, as well as connect with others in her group,(calls them co-workers, thought not sure if that's what they call them or just her own words), as a resource for info, when needed.

I don't know what resources at-home Disney CMs have, but I would bet that it's the same resources they have available at the call centers. Some employees will use the resources and pay attention during training, and some won't.

Depends on how they quality monitoring is after training. According to my call center experience (I was in charge of technical and soft skills for my agents) listening in on calls on the spot for an hour and discuss the calls right after they happened is more effective than listening to a recorded call a week or a month later. The feedback you give an agent will be accepted, but it will not sink in as well. Also I learned a lot about my agents skills and phone behavior by passing by. I overheard things they said or what I saw on their screens and for both good and bad feedback I gave it to them as soon as the call was over. You do not have that with working from home.

For safety it will probably make a small difference. There are credit card companies who made their call centers paper less, no pens and paper allowed. But then still if you want to do harm. You will find a way. At my place we now have a policy: not allowed to plug in anything into your computer. If you want to charge your phone you are not allowed to do it via a usb port on your computer.

Really! That was my first thought!! Quote didnt work. But I want this job!

I work in large multinational company with over 55 000 employees across many countries and working from home is pretty much standard. We have office to come to but over 50% of people and probably 80 of people that don't meet external clients can work from home.

It probably accommodates people to manage their home/children, reduced cost of call center offices and keeping the jobs in US compared to having to outsource them abroad to reduce costs

It's not concern of mine.

I am sure they have very extensive background check. The company I went for paid external company to go over 10 years of work experience, education etc and they called to verify all details. I had 3 months gap between finishing my masters and starting job 9.5 years ago as I was preparing documentation for relocation to different country and they won't let go that I don't have working reference for that time! Eventually I had to involve my manager at the time so they let go of it!

And I don't work directly, or even close in anything pertaining to finances, I have no access to production environment or anything that would be deemed as likely attractive position for a fraudster. I imagine to checks for people with access to money are even more extensive

Please don't worry about it

Last edited:
and the reason phone CMs never have the right answer is........

The reason the information is not a curates has nothing to do with location. It has everything to do with how DIsney shares information and how they monitor their reps. I worked fo yeas at a large call center that took work outsourced from many companies. Our QA scores were higher than the companies we took the work from, but that was because we not only kept our agents u to date, we actively monitored and coached them. Our bowling depended on it.

I don't know what resources at-home Disney CMs have, but I would bet that it's the same resources they have available at the call centers. Some employees will use the resources and pay attention during training, and some won't.

I think that it is not fair to dump this on the employees. I cannot understand how a company as large as Disney can allow for the multiple calls on any issue. My DS works for a large national community=cations company, and his job entails creating tools that in part assist management in determining how to upgrade customer satisfaction, and in doing so maintain one call resolution. That little questionaire at the end of the call is one way Disney is trying to learn if you had to make more than one call, but it does not address that a lot of folks call multiple times to see if the first CM gave the correct answer. I think that Disney woudl do better to outsource their call center to a company that does nothing else buy take outsourced call work. I bet they woudl save money and their customers would have a better experience. COmpanies that do this make it seamless.

Depends on how they quality monitoring is after training. According to my call center experience (I was in charge of technical and soft skills for my agents) listening in on calls on the spot for an hour and discuss the calls right after they happened is more effective than listening to a recorded call a week or a month later. The feedback you give an agent will be accepted, but it will not sink in as well. Also I learned a lot about my agents skills and phone behavior by passing by. I overheard things they said or what I saw on their screens and for both good and bad feedback I gave it to them as soon as the call was over. You do not have that with working from home.

For safety it will probably make a small difference. There are credit card companies who made their call centers paper less, no pens and paper allowed. But then still if you want to do harm. You will find a way. At my place we now have a policy: not allowed to plug in anything into your computer. If you want to charge your phone you are not allowed to do it via a usb port on your computer.

OH the CC numbers are a headache, aren't they?? WE took work from insurance companies, and one of the largest we took had NO protections in place. As they transistioned to us they were shocked that we would allow NO cell phones at work stations. One of the products this company sold to businesses was life insurance. The agent had access to all of the employee's sensitive information. Name, address, SS#, DOB, annual salary, it goes on and on.....

As to coaching, there are ways to provide feedback to agents who are not located in the same facility as you are. I honestly think that a lot of how feedback is accepted depends on company mindset. There is a lot to be said about being in the same facility, and it was preferable for me, but I used to find that when we rewarded (and we seldom used money) positive behavior, our reps responded. WHen the company was punitive the reps did everything they could to sabotage the monitoring process. They could not ( my systems gave me access to their workstations, I saw and heard everything. If I was concerned I turned on 100% recording. It was expensive so that was only when I had concerns, but we typically monitored 25% of individual call volume. I chose the call I was scoring at random, but if I heard info that was not accurate in that call, I took the time to review more. I did not score those calls, but I had time to listen and then provide feedback. As my company cut staff I had less time and more work, so I could not invest the extra attention and I heard after I left staff was cut even more, both on the phones and for support staff. Guess how those calls went.

This is definitely not new. My parent's neighbor has been working for Disney from home for at least the last 12+ years since my parents became her neighbor. If someone is dishonest they are going to get caught one way or the other. It's not something I would stress over.

Any call center like if you were paying your cable bill and they were typing in your CC information can write that down real quick on a piece of paper and take off with it.

I used to work in a call center...never dealt with peoples personal information but never really know.

Has anyone called zappos lately? I like how they do it. When it is time for your credit card they transfer you to some automated line where you put your cc numbers in. Then it comes back to the live person. It may not be 100% safe, but it's a start. I asked the person when I returned and she said it was safety as she did not have my cc number.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter