Booking cruise with DVC points

Billybob7

Mouseketeer
I know that if you book a cruise while on board the Wonder, or any other Disney ship, you get a discount.

Here's my question.

If I book a cruise today from home, paying cash for one person and using DVC points for another, can I still get a discount while on the boat?

The cruise I am interested in is 175 DVC points and $1226 for the other person.

So, if I rebook the same cruise while on the Wonder, will I still be able to use my DVC points, and will I still get a discount on the number of points?

Thanks!

If you book now using DVC you will pay the $1226 upfront plus the $95 booking fee. If you rebook onboard for the same cruise, you will have to pay another $95 booking fee and typically the points discount is 10%. I have never rebooked a cruise, but I would imagine you also have to worry about availability when rebooking.

I don't know much about the discount. However, they often offer an OBC for booking onboard, and if you don't have 2 full paying adults in the room. you do not get the OBC. If you book with points, you only have 1 full paying adult in the room. Again, though, I don't know about the discount in booking if that also needs to be for 2 full fares...

To get the onboard discount it doesn't matter if you are sailing on points or cash. We have done it before with cash and points, exclusively and both. But here is the issue. If you book ahead of time you actually have to cancel and rebook the cruise with the discount. You cannot transfer it over. So you will have to pay $95 twice. The cancelation can add to other headaches too, like overbooked categories and children programs. Also, if you pay points and cash you will only get the discount on one or the other. For a cash reservation you must book onboard during the cruise. For the points discount you cannot book onboard. Instead you have to book after the cruise is over within 3 days. When you book with the point’s discount, you have to pay full fare for the cash person. Hope that makes sense.

I now will sell my points and pay cash for a cruise. You only get about 72% of your value out of points for cruising plus the discount to rebook on board with points is only 5%. I have cruised with the family on six cruises with points. Really took a bath on our July 29th & Aug 2nd cruises. A 5 day & 4 day cruise cost us as much points as our Panama Canal Repro cruise in 2008 and I booked when only the Platinum members could. The cruise was 2,379(value at $10 a point $23,790) We could have purchased this cruise for $17,290 after the 10% discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter