Booking a pkg: TA vs Disney?

DisneyMom73

Earning My Ears
We just got back from a week @ FW; we'd booked room only w/ AAA discount. We had a great time, but want to do a pkg for Dec 2014 so most of our expenses are pd up front. We'll either camp again or rent a cabin (family of 5). For those if you who have booked pkgs, what are the pros & cons of booking thru a travel agent vs booking thru Disney? Thanks!

Many of the Disney travel agents throw in some free extras for booking with them! For example, my TA is throwing in a Disney gift card, a floral arrangement to be delivered during our stay, and some little goodies for my princess. They will book your dining reservations etc if you want. This is our first year booking with a TA and I'm wondering why I never did it before!

We used AAA for our first trip...fort wilderness cabins. There were a few AAA perks, like a special character story time, but not much. Better price than direct thru Disney though.

This time, we rented dvc points, added the dining package, got tickets from undercover tourist...a create your own package. Individual TAs may offer more than AAA in terms of perks...but somewhere, those perks are really part of your cost. Still, it is cheaper than through Disney.

I booked my own packages for years but now always use AAA. The cost of their services is paid by the company, so I do see a savings. I love that they handle all my ADR's, including getting me one for BOG on opening for dinner. Some people just enjoy taking care of every little detail themselves. I used to. Now I just e-mail my TA and she handles everything and calls me to get my credit card info. So easy.

I am a travel agent and I would just like to point something important out. Travel agents earn commissions from the vendor who provides the service to the client. Reputable travel agents quote you the prices they get directly from the vendor, any payments made go directly to the vendor (or, in the case of credit card payments, have the vendor charge your credit card directly), and they do not mark up prices. Some travel agents will charge a fee for researching complex travel plans or a small booking fee to cover the cost of postage; however, in most cases you do not pay any more by going through a travel agent than you would if you booked directly with the vendor.

Some travel agents will provide some form of "gift" or amenities to clients for booking with them, but keep in mind that most of those items cost the travel agent money which comes from their own pockets. These gifts or amenities are nice to receive but they should not be expected (would you expect your doctor to give you a gift whenever you go see him?) and they are not the real value that a travel agent provides.

The real value that a travel agent provides is in his or her knowledge and expertise about your destination and the best way to get you there. Your travel agent makes his or her commission from your travel bookings, so he or she has a vested interest in making sure that your travel plans go smoothly. Your travel agent can advise you on where to go and what to see, which accommodations are best for you and your family, and can make arrangements for you so that you have more time to enjoy things while you are traveling.

Another value is the relationship that your travel agent builds with you so that he or she knows what your likes and dislikes are so you get the best vacation for your money. Booking directly with a vendor, like Walt Disney World Vacations, won't get you that relationship. I pride myself on the personal service that I provide to my clients, and when they call me on the phone, I know who they are and what plans I have booked for them. They don't have to give me a booking number so I can look them up in my computer system. I care about my clients and work very hard to make sure that they have a great time when they travel, and that is why they come back to me every time they take a vacation.

You may feel comfortable booking your next vacation on your own, but wouldn't it be nice to know that if there were a problem there would be someone there to try and correct it for you, instead of having to deal with it yourself? Your travel agent may not always be able to rectify a situation in your favor, but it can be very reassuring knowing that someone is working on your behalf to make things right.

So the next time you are thinking about taking a vacation, I think you should strongly consider using a travel agent. We all want to save money but there are some things that are worth more than money, like peace of mind. I hope this has helped clear up any misconceptions about travel agents and what we do for you.

Like the PP, I too am a TA that specializes in Disney. Their comments echo mine exactly and I think they are right on the mark describing what we do for our clients and how much we enjoy helping others. Great post!

Thankful that I can rely on experienced TA's. Appreciate the services you provide.

I dont want to be too negative but i've found that it's not uncommon for the people here in the boards to know more than most travel agents. And that the deals you can find out about here or on mousesavers can be better than many of them are aware of. So if pure cost is your driver I think you can do as good as any travel agent or many times perhaps even better.

It's like dr's, car mechanics, whatever. The hardest part is finding a good one. And if it's not a good one it can cost you more in the end.

I was so happy I had a travel agent the day that free dining for the fall was announced. It was a mad house! I would have missed a day of work had I tried to get through to Disney and make my arrangements. My travel agent contacted me at 7 a.m. and was already working. It took her all day to get my package and other clients', and I was so grateful for her time and efforts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter