Booking a Cruise

lovemickeyminnie

Earning My Ears
How do you get the best deal for a Disney Cruise? I know that cruises are alot more than Disney World. We are 4 Adults which might up the cost!! We have been to DisneyWorld several times!! I am just unsure about doing a Disney Cruise!! Any suggestions for first time cruisers since we aren’t sure? Thanks for the help

The best deal is almost always going to be on opening day. Disney Cruises, the prices go up as the ship fills.

There can be some last minute deals on sailings that aren't filling up, but that's a gamble, especially if you want rooms near each other.

Sorry... too early for me, I misread your question.

Yes, opening day is best, but not always necessary. There are many cruises that don't go up in price, or if they do, it's only by a little bit. The specialty ones need to be booked right away, I think.

1. Book at opening day
Booking for the cruises open approx 18 months from departure. There are threads on here watching for cruise booking opening.
However cruise booking opens in a tiered way, general booking for first time cruisers is the last to open, with the top tier / most frequent cruisers getting to book first. Even as a first time cruiser, booking as soon as it opens for your level will still save you money compared to booking 8 months from departure

2. Book through Dreams Unlimited.
I researched booking a DCL Mediterranean Cruise last year. As far as I could find out, Dreams Unlimited is the only place I could find which gives onboard credit as a % of the paid in full price

As a matter of fact unless you get some amazing deal a trip to Disney is now nearly the price or same price as a cruise. For my family of three we are taking a 14 night Panama Canal cruise for less than we could do a 5 night 6 day Disney stay in a moderate hotel.

There are also significant savings for those (of us) who qualify for military discounts, Florida resident discounts and others that come and go

How do you get the best deal for a Disney Cruise? I know that cruises are alot more than Disney World. We are 4 Adults which might up the cost!! We have been to DisneyWorld several times!! I am just unsure about doing a Disney Cruise!! Any suggestions for first time cruisers since we aren’t sure? Thanks for the help
Research DCL website for prices, plan ahead, well ahead, like over a year, forecast when you woukd want to go and book opening day. Even book a 'dummy' date and start paying, then simply transfer the dummy date to the actual cruise date when it becomes available to book.

We use a travel agency, Dreams Unlimited, on our upcoming 7 night cruise in April, 2A and 2K we have $350 waiting on us in the form of shipboard credit by simply using them.

Keep in mind, unlike WDW, all the meals are included in the price.

Ways to save money on DCL cruise:

Either book early, or very late. The prices tend to go up as time goes by. But when booking opens, the first couple days of booking are open to gold and platinum members only - a perk of frequent cruising. So sometimes the prices go up even before open to general public. They will often stay at that rate for a while, but Disney ups their prices every few months. However, after the paid in full (PIF) date - the date that anyone going on the cruise must pay or lose their deposit, usually a couple months before sailing date - DCL may offer "guaranteed" rates. These are discounted, non-refundable fares where you choose the type of room you want (inside, verandah, etc.) but not the location. The location is chosen by DCL a week or two before the cruise. Often times these "last minute" deals are about the same or not much more than the prices shortly after booking opened. However, these rates are not always available, especially on very popular sailings

For DCL, anytime traditional school is not in session - summer, spring break, Christmas - are popular and expensive times to cruise. If you can cruise off season you will pay significantly less.

Generally speaking, the shorter the cruise, the more you pay per person per night.

Most travel agents get a commission, and they will pass that savings on to you in some form. For some, this is pre-paid gratuities, or free dinner at Palo. If you book through Costco you get cash back - I think it is up to 8%.

If you have a DCL Visa, you can use reward dollars to pay for the cruise. You also get 6 mos. to pay for the cruise (for purchases made directly with DCL), and up to 2% cash back on the purchase.

If you have a way to obtain Disney Gift cards at a discount (from Sam's Club or BJs) you can use them to pay for your Disney cruise and save. The usual discount for these stores is 3-5%, but sometimes can be as much as 8%. Make sure you don't get the ones that are only good at the stores, but are good at any Disney location -cruises, hotels, etc.

Once you do cruise, you can book a "placeholder" cruise on board. This is a future cruise booking - you don't have to know exactly when you will cruise - that gives you 10% off and an on-board credit (cash to spend on board) of $100-200, depending on cruise length. You have to put down 10% of the cruise cost as a deposit. You have 2 years to use the placeholder. You can hold onto it, then switch it to a cruise as soon as booking opens, but you must sail within 2 years of the date you purchased it. Also, if you designate a travel agent when you book (such as Costco) you can still get their cashback and the 10% off.

The best of all worlds is to do an onboard booking (10% off + $100 at least), using Costco (maybe another 8% back), and paying with discounted gift cards (5% more) using a Disney Visa to buy the gift cards (2% back at big box stores, but of course you don't get 6 mos. to pay that off). Costco does allow you to use Disney Gift Cards to pay for your cruise (not sure if all travel agents allow that). Of course, you can't do all of this until you have cruised once, so you can't use the 10% off on the 1st cruise.

Either book early, or very late. The prices tend to go up as time goes by. But when booking opens, the first couple days of booking are open to gold and platinum members only - a perk of frequent cruising. So sometimes the prices go up even before open to general public. They will often stay at that rate for a while, but Disney ups their prices every few months. However, after the paid in full (PIF) date - the date that anyone going on the cruise must pay or lose their deposit, usually a couple months before sailing date - DCL may offer "guaranteed" rates. These are discounted, non-refundable fares where you choose the type of room you want (inside, verandah, etc.) but not the location. The location is chosen by DCL a week or two before the cruise. Often times these "last minute" deals are about the same or not much more than the prices shortly after booking opened. However, these rates are not always available, especially on very popular sailings

For DCL, anytime traditional school is not in session - summer, spring break, Christmas - are popular and expensive times to cruise. If you can cruise off season you will pay significantly less.

Generally speaking, the shorter the cruise, the more you pay per person per night.

Most travel agents get a commission, and they will pass that savings on to you in some form. For some, this is pre-paid gratuities, or free dinner at Palo. If you book through Costco you get cash back - I think it is up to 8%.

If you have a DCL Visa, you can use reward dollars to pay for the cruise. You also get 6 mos. to pay for the cruise (for purchases made directly with DCL), and up to 2% cash back on the purchase.

If you have a way to obtain Disney Gift cards at a discount (from Sam's Club or BJs) you can use them to pay for your Disney cruise and save. The usual discount for these stores is 3-5%, but sometimes can be as much as 8%. Make sure you don't get the ones that are only good at the stores, but are good at any Disney location -cruises, hotels, etc.

Once you do cruise, you can book a "placeholder" cruise on board. This is a future cruise booking - you don't have to know exactly when you will cruise - that gives you 10% off and an on-board credit (cash to spend on board) of $100-200, depending on cruise length. You have to put down 10% of the cruise cost as a deposit. You have 2 years to use the placeholder. You can hold onto it, then switch it to a cruise as soon as booking opens, but you must sail within 2 years of the date you purchased it. Also, if you designate a travel agent when you book (such as Costco) you can still get their cashback and the 10% off.

The best of all worlds is to do an onboard booking (10% off + $100 at least), using Costco (maybe another 8% back), and paying with discounted gift cards (5% more) using a Disney Visa to buy the gift cards (2% back at big box stores, but of course you don't get 6 mos. to pay that off). Costco does allow you to use Disney Gift Cards to pay for your cruise (not sure if all travel agents allow that). Of course, you can't do all of this until you have cruised once, so you can't use the 10% off on the 1st cruise.

I had no idea you could specify just Costco as a travel agent. I just looked it up and executive members get 2% cash back. I will definitely do that when we book our next one while onboard.

Of course, you can't do all of this until you have cruised once, so you can't use the 10% off on the 1st cruise.

But that cruise could be a three day "quickie" with just you and the sig. other, so that you can get the discounts on the longer family cruise. Also, you can use Costco on your 1st cruise and get the Costco cashback. You can also get the gift card deals for the first cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter