Booking 60 days out, crazy?

Raya

DIS Veteran
We thought we'd be unable to travel this spring due to work commitments, but one week in March just opened up --- and there's a 4 day Wish cruise that week with a guaranteed verandah room. Is there any reason why it would be stupid/crazy to book this close to cruising? Is there anything I'm likely to miss or not do because it's so "last minute"?

Book it! You may not get Palo/Enchante but other than that no real reason.

First, I would say that if you're happy with the price, then just do it!

Most of the specialty restaurant slots will likely be booked, as will the "adult beverage" tastings. For kids, the princess and pirate makeovers may be booked up. The more popular excursions may also be sold out.

However, if you don't mind checking the app each morning, before bed, and when you're bored at work (haha), then reservations may pop up.

On embarkation day, you can go to the specialty restaurants to inquire about availability (I think reservations are often held back).

However, the bookable character meet and greets, such as the princess gathering, only open up at the start of check in. That's at 30 days, so you'll have an equal shot at that!

You will definitely be placed in the later dinner (which we enjoyed, even with a child), but there's always a chance you can be moved to early dinner depending on availability (if you want).

Again, for a four day cruise, I would totally do it even if I couldn't book anything. I haven't been on the Wish, but it seems like there's already too many things to see and do that are included with the just the standard cruise fare.

Not sure if excursions will be available either, but those aren’t as important on a Bahamian cruise.

As others have said, the only drawback is if things you would like to experience are already booked - you may also not get the main dining time you want. If that doesn't matter to you, go for it! We booked at less than 60 days for our last cruise, but weren't interested in shore excursions and we were two adults so just went with the flow - it worked out nicely!

Book it and think of it as a new experience. How many people get a chance to only have to wait 60 days for a cruise. Go for it and enjoy it for what it is, knowing there are somethings (like others have mentioned) that won't necessarily be available.

We thought we'd be unable to travel this spring due to work commitments, but one week in March just opened up --- and there's a 4 day Wish cruise that week with a guaranteed verandah room. Is there any reason why it would be stupid/crazy to book this close to cruising? Is there anything I'm likely to miss or not do because it's so "last minute"?
I’ve booked less days out than that and it was great! Do it for sure!

We often book within 60 days and have always had a good time. We aren't able to secure beverage tastings, Palo, etc. in advance, but we've never had trouble getting what we wanted (as long as we weren't picky about time slot) once we were on-board because a number of them are held back for booking on-board. I've also found that excursions rarely sell out as well, except for a few of the more popular Castaway Cay activities.

I booked a cruise within a one-week time frame and got a Palo reservation once on board. I may have missed some excursions that I preferred but I booked others...besides, it's the wonderful Carribean! Just go for it! Whatever you do will be worth it!

I would do it- a new experience! You never know what you might try that is new. Or like me-finding a chair in the adult area with an adult beverage, my book and a nap. Just heaven...

Our first cruise was booked about 3 weeks in advance. Of course, we had no knowledge of cruising, so we’re clueless if we were missing anything. I‘ve sailed a bunch of times since, looking for the things I missed. Haven’t found them yet.

One if the benefits of DCL is that you can have a “complete” cruise experience with minimum effort - especially a 3-night where the only stop is Castaway Cay. No planning, no reservations. Just get to the port. (Having a passport or certified Birth Certificate is probably the most effort).

I wouldn't consider 60 days last minute.

We’ve done it! You might not be able to get main dining, and I’d be sure to check prices for airfare and pre-cruise hotel before booking as spring break in orlando is very busy. But once you are on the ship it is all good—for a bahamas cruise excursions aren’t important and there is plenty to do without booking onboard activities.

I wouldn't consider 60 days last minute.

Neither would I. I've routinely booked within a month of sailing, and once less than 3 days before such that it had already disappeared from the website and I had to call. There are varying reports of being able to book the morning of sailing, but you can definitely book up to the day before with no problems.

We once booked a 3-night quickie only 3 days before sailing. It was very spontaneous and a great feeling to not have to countdown for months. We booked, grabbed our suitcases and threw our stuff in and headed to the airport 2 days later.
Palo was booked and we didn't do any excursions which is fine for a short cruise anyway. I just wanted to be on the ship.
I would do it again, in fact, we're shopping for a possible Feb cruise now.
Have a great time!! :thumbsup2

Even booked one month out and that was traveling with kids. Hurricane Irma canceled our cruise one day before leaving, so we rebooked on a Vgt for a cruise a few weeks later. Our logic was we were all packed. The grandkids would outgrown their cruise clothes if we waited until next spring to cruise. Keep in mind we are NOT local so after getting all our refunds and credits back from DCL, parking gargage, jetblue, DVC canceled rooms, etc., we had to rebook everything again and request time off for work, get school notes in, arrange dog sitters, find new DVC rooms before and after rooms, etc. thank goodness for our TA at DU who took care of the DCL credits and rebooking. And of course my daughter used multiple gift cards which was a headache all by itself.

I did this too. We just booked on the Magic out of New Orleans less than 60 days out. Like others have said some of the onboard fun is all booked but stuff opens up all the time. On our last cruise, I kept booking and canceling many times over. Plus, as others have said, we don't have to wait as long. Enjoy!

Because Castmember available cruises are posted usually 30 to 60 days out we have no choice but to book last minute. We're platinum members and booking last minute hasn't really negatively impacted our cruises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter