Booked two rooms onboard to give one to family

GArriola

Mouseketeer
Last year my husband and I booked onboard to lock in the discount and OBC. We mentioned that next cruise we'll probably cruise with other family/relatives. He suggested that for a tiny bit more we could book two rooms and give them one so they could have the discount. So we did.

Now we're booked for our cruise and I'm trying to change the names on our second reservation to that of the family that will be using the room. But it won't allow me to remove my name.

Any ideas? TIA!:)

Last year my husband and I booked onboard to lock in the discount and OBC. We mentioned that next cruise we'll probably cruise with other family/relatives. He suggested that for a tiny bit more we could book two rooms and give them one so they could have the discount. So we did.

Now we're booked for our cruise and I'm trying to change the names on our second reservation to that of the family that will be using the room. But it won't allow me to remove my name.

Any ideas? TIA!:)

Add one of their names to your room and it doesn't matter where you sleep. They can have their room and you yours.

Add one of their names to your room and it doesn't matter where you sleep. They can have their room and you yours.

I encountered this problem last week as I tried to add a member to another room. The website will allow you to add the adult/child, add their names but the process cannot be completed unless you call them for the changes. Or you could just leave it as is and request for 2 KTTW cards as long as they are linked.

I encountered this problem last week as I tried to add a member to another room. The website will allow you to add the adult/child, add their names but the process cannot be completed unless you call them for the changes. Or you could just leave it as is and request for 2 KTTW cards as long as they are linked.

So they were able to change it when you called? I'll just do that. ;)

You can't change the main name.

For sure you can't online. Call and explain what you are trying to do. It could be that you needed to book it in their name to start with. At any rate if you can't change the main name just distribute everyone between the two staterooms however you want, they don't care where you sleep and you can split the charging.

You should be aware that if your name is removed, the discount might be also.

So they were able to change it when you called? I'll just do that. ;)

Adding someone is very different than removing yourself from the booking. If you remove all names that were on the original booking, you are in essence cancelling the original booking. You would lose the onboard booking discount/credits as well as the price being changed to the current rate. At least one name has to remain on the original booking.

It is not an issue to book one member of their party into your room and keep you on the booking for their room. When you check in (or even once you are on board, you can get Disney to give you the key you need for the room you will actually be sleeping in. Since on board charges are accounted for down to the person, it doesn't matter if you are officially in a different room, your charges can go to the same account as the rest of your family, not the other party you are traveling with.

They only issue with changing staterooms after you board is that the muster stations could be different. The family members will then be split during the drill and in the event of an actual emergency.

If you remove your name you will not only lose the OBB benefits, but would need to rebook the room at today's rate.

Personally I would just leave it. You can have your KTTW card added to your families stateroom for financial accounting and it doesnt matter what room you sleep in. Yes there is a chance you could be split for muster stations but my mom and son had 5005 and we had 5012 and we were in the same line for muster. Maybe because our reservations were linked??

Just wondering if they could have done the OBB in the other families name to have avoided all these problems.

When we were on the Fantasy last week they would not give us KTTW access to both of our connecting staterooms. When it my husband's turn to explore after the kids were in bed, he had to take one of the cards for a child assigned to my room to get back in (we slept as adults in one room, kids in another). That would get complicated if it wasn't immediate family in the other room.

Personally I would just leave it. You can have your KTTW card added to your families stateroom for financial accounting and it doesnt matter what room you sleep in. Yes there is a chance you could be split for muster stations but my mom and son had 5005 and we had 5012 and we were in the same line for muster. Maybe because our reservations were linked??

I doubt it. We had 2 linked rooms (next door to each other, not connecting) on one of our cruises and the two rooms were at different muster statins.

When we were on the Fantasy last week they would not give us KTTW access to both of our connecting staterooms. When it my husband's turn to explore after the kids were in bed, he had to take one of the cards for a child assigned to my room to get back in (we slept as adults in one room, kids in another). That would get complicated if it wasn't immediate family in the other room.

That just doesn't sound right. I've read many reports of being able to get blank room access keys (only opens the door, no charging privileges) for families in linked rooms.

I had read those reports before our trip as well. I was surprised when they said they couldn't do it, so I asked again later and got the same answer. I tried at check in and at guest services. Something about it deactivating the existing cards?

We just got blank keys for our second room last week on the Wonder. I don't know why they wouldn't give you a key.

I had read those reports before our trip as well. I was surprised when they said they couldn't do it, so I asked again later and got the same answer. I tried at check in and at guest services. Something about it deactivating the existing cards?

Were you trying to get them to give you access to both rooms on the one key card? Because they cannot do that. They would have had to issue you two separate cards. One for each room. One would have charging privileges and the other would have been just a blank card that only worked as a key to open the stateroom. Also, both parties may have needed to go down to request this together.

Yes, I just wanted an extra key to open the door to my room. I don't know if the policy changed or I asked the wrong (multiple) people. We gave up at that point as we were dealing with other frustrations with the kids clubs and wanted to focus on fun.:)

Adding someone is very different than removing yourself from the booking. If you remove all names that were on the original booking, you are in essence cancelling the original booking. You would lose the onboard booking discount/credits as well as the price being changed to the current rate. At least one name has to remain on the original booking.

It is not an issue to book one member of their party into your room and keep you on the booking for their room. When you check in (or even once you are on board, you can get Disney to give you the key you need for the room you will actually be sleeping in. Since on board charges are accounted for down to the person, it doesn't matter if you are officially in a different room, your charges can go to the same account as the rest of your family, not the other party you are traveling with.

Awesome thanks! We plan to just keep me on the "extra" room and put one of them in my room.

I did keep the reservations linked so hopefully we won't be split. :thumbsup2

Just wondering if they could have done the OBB in the other families name to have avoided all these problems.

That would have been ideal but at the time we weren't sure which family would be coming with us so they suggested we just put one in my husbands name and one in mine. Actually now that I think of it, I guess they would have had to be onboard to get it under their name. I'm not sure.

Note to self: Don't book an extra room for relatives. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter