• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Booked Poly considering switching to BLT

nulty

Earning My Ears
We have a trip booked in April, me, DH, DS (5) DD (18months) @ the Poly. This is a first trip for all of us. We want to stay @ a monorail resort. I was excited about the Poly, but I keep reading reviews that it is a little run down & the rooms are not very clean. This is a huge concern for me. So I was looking into the BLT since it is so new, but I was unsure about the bathrooms not locking & with DD being so young if this will be an issue. If she will just be able to push the doors open. I assume the balcony doors have locks, right?
Has anyone stayed at either that could give me some advice????

Thanks!
:confused3

We stayed at the Poly last fall and we did not find it to be dirty or run down. My only problem is that DH, and my then 5 and 2 year old enjoyed it so much I doubt we'll be able to stay anywhere else.

The kids really loved the volcano pool and the character breakfast at the Poly.

We have never had a problem with the Poly being dirty or rundown. You might want to check out the Poly board.

The poly is a beautiful resort or it wouldn't have such a big following!! We stayed there last August and were spoiled. It is so peaceful with the hawaiian music playing in the background and the tiki torches lit at night. A nice change from the fast pace of the parks. We also loved both the Kona Cafe and Ohana's and not to mention easy access to other great restaurants. Have a great time whatever you decide.

We stayed at the Poly last summer and it was NOT run down or dirty what-so ever:thumbsup2. We are trying out BLT this summer:cool1: for the extra room and because last yr, while riding the monorail I told myself that if it was ever financially possible, I would stay at the BLT one day!!!:lovestruc

The Poly is my favorite resort. We stayed in their Hawaii longhouse last May and our room was immaculate with excellent sevice and promt for any need we had. We booked the Poly again this March (except we are requesting Tuvalu or Tokelau longhouse) and cannot wait to go back. I understand your concerns but have never seen a thing to confirm them at the Poly.

There is a lock on the bathroom doors at BLT once you are inside. But they don't lock from the outside, so your DD could still push them open with a bit of effort.

If you get a 1 bedroom the balcony door is bedside the living room, and no, there is no lock on it. But there is a sleeper chair that can be moved in front of the balcony door. The other entrance to the balcony is through the main bedroom.

The one bedroom at BLT is nice, with an extra bathroom and a washer and dryer. We haven't stayed in the studio so I can't comment on that.

When we were at Poly there last April, we didn't find the Poly rooms run down at all. We stayed in Tokelau. The cleaning does seem to be hit or miss there, with some rooms/ areas being more clean than others. All in all though, a stay at the Poly is really nice, and the food options are easier to get to than when you stay at BLT since you don't have to walk across a long walkway to get to the CR to get QS food or to the monorail. Either way you'll be in a great resort. :)

We have never stayed at the Poly but have visited many times and did not find it to be dirty or run down or else we wouldn't visit. Now this is JMO but for us it is very dark and we have no desire to stay there but that doesn't make it bad resort. It's just not for us. Friends of ours stay at the Poly twice a year and they said they will not stay anywhere else.

We are staying at BLT 1 bdrm in July and we can't wait. The extra room, 2 bathrooms, :woohoo: kitchen for the boys to snack (teenagers):laughing: and washer/dryer are a dream. For me to go home with clean clothes is priceless.

You will have a great time no matter where you decide to stay.:flower3:

We had a fabulous stay at the Poly and did not think the rooms were dirty or rundown.....we thought the entire resort was beautiful :wizard:. The grounds are gorgeous and the resort has such a relaxing feel and it was neat to walk around at night under the lit tiki torches :). The volcano pool is awesome and it's magical having a dead on view of the castle while swimming :goodvibes. The CR/BLT does nothing for us as far as theme/decor so if it were me, I'd stick with the Poly ;).

We stayed at the Poly in Oct. for our Mother/Daughter trip. The rooms at the Poly are a little darker and do not photograph well, but we did not find them outdated or dirty.

They do not have the crisp, clean look of the CR or BLT, but that would not fit their theme.

I think you'll be happy at either place.

We did not enjoy the Poly. We can't really place our finger on what it was about the resort but it just didn't appeal to us.

Being on the monorail is WONDERFUL and I think next year we might give the Contemporary a shot.

We have stayed at both the Poly (2x) and the BLT (2br MK view). IMO, we also think the Poly is outdated and rundown. It wasn't dirty, but just not as new and bright as the BLT. Regarding the glass doors, there is a lock, but I would still move that chair in front of it if you are concerned. We did last Aug because my DS4 is very "busy" and we wanted to just be safe. The bathrooms did not bother us at all. We LOVE the CR and enjoyed the BLT just as much. I would stay at the BLT everytime if we could!!!:goodvibes

BLT will certainly seem cleaner, but Poly has never looked run down to me. I say keep your reservation there. It's a fantastic resort!

I'd stick to the Poly for sure.

Bay Lake Towers seemed too clean and crisp to me. Sure, the views were nice from the Top of the World Lounge and the room balcony but Poly just has so much more charm and style.

Well the one thing Bay Lake Tower will have is the walkway to and from the Magic Kingdom, which is one thing the Polynesian does not have. So since you will have two young kids I am not sure how much that will be a factor for you?

Are you thinking the studio at BLT or one bedroom? That would make a difference to me as the studio has one bed and a pull out sofa. The one bedroom on the other hand is awesome awesome awesome and I can't wait to go back again in July! My youngest was 18 months when we stayed there last year and having the two separate spaces worked out great. There are also two entrances to the balcony, so if you get your little ones to sleep you and your DH can sit outside with a glass of wine :)

Forgot to add having the laundry machine in the 1 bedroom was great as well!

We stayed at the Poly last April and it was fantastic. Nice, clean room, great Mousekeeping. A wonderful atmosphere and great views of the lagoon and the castle. I would stay there over BLT anytime -- I love the Polynesian theme, gardens and music. BLT doesn't really have a "theme" and to me looks more like a hotel.

It's really just a matter of personal preference. But there have been complaints about bad mousekeeping at every resort at WDW, not just the Poly. We had no complaints with our Mousekeeper, and I'm pretty picky.

Stayed at the Poly's Hawaii longhouse last October. Have stayed at the Poly 3 other times in past 5 years. NO maintenance issues. As previous poster noted, the rooms are dark, so they don't photograph well. The rooms are all recently upgraded - flat panel TVs, new bed linens, etc - so the rooms do not feel run down.

IMHO, there is no better resort for relaxation and easy access to the parks! Either way, you will have a great time!

Wow, thanks for all of the replies! It helps to get so many opinions. As of today I think we are going to stick with the POLY. I was considering a one bedroom @BLT, but I would have to cancel with Disney & book elsewhere if we want to go the same dates. I think I like booking through Disney. There were so many positive feelings about Poly, I think I will choose to go with that & try to stop reading negative reviews so that I can stop swaying! And also hope that we can get a balcony at the Poly! (another reason we were thinking of switching)
Again, thanks for the replies!!!:goodvibes

Wow, thanks for all of the replies! It helps to get so many opinions. As of today I think we are going to stick with the POLY. I was considering a one bedroom @BLT, but I would have to cancel with Disney & book elsewhere if we want to go the same dates. I think I like booking through Disney. There were so many positive feelings about Poly, I think I will choose to go with that & try to stop reading negative reviews so that I can stop swaying! And also hope that we can get a balcony at the Poly! (another reason we were thinking of switching)
Again, thanks for the replies!!!:goodvibes

Remember all places have good/bad reviews but I think you will really like the Poly. If you haven't done so already, add the request for a balcony to your reservation. Although it's just a request and never guaranteed, it's always worth a shot. I feel the simpler the request, the better of a chance of being granted.:hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter