• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Booked Grand Floridian...is it much like BWI? or should we book Poly?

Belle72

Mouseketeer
Hi! We finally have booked GF for October. We try to stay at a different resort each Disney trip to give it a bit of a different feel. We stayed at BoardWalk Inn this past spring. While we really liked it and had a great time we didn't LOVE it. We have stayed at the Epcot resorts before (YC BC Dolphin and Swan) and the location is awesome. We loved the entertainment on the BoardWalk too. We were glad to have tried it once. But something about it didn't appeal to us (family of 4, DD10, DS 6.)

We stayed at Contemporary last year and expected we may not like it and LOVED it, stayed at the Poly a few years ago and were not sure of that choice and it became our FAVORITE. Also loved YC.

Should we continue our exploration of all the deluxe resorts and stay with our Grand Floridian reservation? (after this visit we would only have AK left) or book at our favorite which we haven't been to in a few years- Poly? We are hoping GF has a totally different feel in resort than BWI. Does it? We are also hoping we will not be looking at views from GF and wishing we were at Poly. Does GF still have a beach to play on? Are the views of MK much further away?

We have stayed at all of the Deluxe resorts and GF is our least favorite -- it just failed to wow us on our Christmas trip although that had a lot to do with all of the people "visiting" the resort not the ones staying there. We also were not impressed with the bus transportation. BUT it is a very different resort than BWI. The feel of GF when you walk in is of quiet, old world, monied family mansions. The people aren't snobby but that "feel" is in the air. BWI is the fun side of "old world" if that makes any sense at all.

And if we had stayed at GF another time of year we might have had a very different experience.

I would keep your reservation. You never know what you might discover and GF might become your new favorite.

I can't declare a favorite till I try them all or say I don't like one unless I've tried it. I have the same rule w/ my kids and foods they can't say but I hate _____ insert green vegtable here until they try it.

We are at the GF in 2 weeks, our first stay there. I have high expecations, I hope it can live up.

I think the GF has a very different feel than BWI. The room theming is somewhat similar, Victorian elegance, but that's about it. BWI is lively & outwardly focused on the Boardwalk. GF is more, well, "grand" and inwardly focused on the amazing lobby. Oh, they do both have awesome CMs. :thumbsup2

Really, though, I think they have a very different feel. I vote for giving it a try.

I think staying in the main building at GF has a similar feel to BWI. The outer buildings, not so much.

What didn't you like about BWI? That might help people give you better advice about whether to stick with the GF.

I think they feel different to me. Something about BWI doesn't appeal to me either, so I've never booked their. But I am trying GF this August. I hope the beach will be open by then, but who knows :confused3.

I have stayed at the GF in a Garden View and the BWI in a Water View. I consider the BWI the GF of the Epcot area based on theme and decor. It is very different as far as grounds and other amenities. Even a regular room at the GF gets turn down service if that is something that interests you. With that said, Poly is still our favorite because of the tropical theme and laid back feel. We have only stayed at the GF and BWI one time each, but stayed at the Poly many times and are going back in July! You have beaches at both the GF and the Poly and can see Wishes from both beaches. If you stay club level at the Poly, you can see wishes from the lounge without booking a Theme Park View. There is no beach at the BWI. However, you can see Illuminations from some balconies. Good luck with your decision!:goodvibes

I typically am in favor of trying new resorts.. the one resort that I have no interest in trying again, however? GF. To me, it's boring and stuffy. JMO. BWI bores me as well... is it the similar themeing?

I'd either stay at your favorite or try AK (now that's a wonderful Deluxe!). If you're staying at GF just to say you've stayed there, then go for it. If you're looking for something exciting, I'd skip GF.

What didn't you like about BWI? That might help people give you better advice about whether to stick with the GF.

I'm not entirely sure what made us not love it....I had visited the BWI many times before, having stayed in all the other Epcot resorts. BWI just wasn't as special as some of the other resorts. We liked many things about BWI-and still had a great time. We just wouldn't return. As an example- we thought we wouldn't love Contemporary but tried it and it seemed very magical to us- the monorail going through was perfect for my DS5- to watch going through CR or ride! When we stayed at Poly it was because BC was undergoing pool rehab. We were slightly disappointed but we loved the relaxing atmosphere and all the unexpected benefits (fireworks from beach more special than we thought, tiki torches at night etc...) and it became our favorite!! But- yes as one poster posted. Maybe BWI was a bit boring- not outside on the BoardWalk at night, but the interior. I have visited GF for meals and liked it...but after staying at BWI and being underwhelmed I am a little concerned.

I typically am in favor of trying new resorts.. the one resort that I have no interest in trying again, however? GF. To me, it's boring and stuffy. JMO. BWI bores me as well... is it the similar themeing?

I'd either stay at your favorite or try AK (now that's a wonderful Deluxe!). If you're staying at GF just to say you've stayed there, then go for it. If you're looking for something exciting, I'd skip GF.

Not really staying there to say I've stayed there. We have been trying each deluxe (and tried POR) just to change up our disney vacations, not as a bucket list or anything that we feel we have to do. But I am at the point now that I've found one or two I really like. But I also subscribe to the try new things in life motto! And I would have never tried Poly or CR, which we would stay at again in a heartbeat, if I stayed with the resorts I felt were more my style or in the Epcot area -YC/BC or Swan and Dolphin instead of trying new resorts/areas of Disney...

I think BWI and GF have a similar floral theme interiors. BWI is a bit whimsical. AK will be next year! It appears to be a little secluded for us but I do love the theming.

October is tough...right now they are doing construction on the latest DVC property so the GF is home to construction views and noises. Don't know if they'll be done by October or not.

We stayed there about 5 years ago and were kind of disappointed. We could hear our neighbors make their breakfast plans every morning and heard about their day every night. They seemed like a lovely family, even though we never set eyes on them. There was some star staying there and the concierge and lobby cast members were more interested in discussing who it was than helping us peons and then proceeded to give us incorrect information anyway. It's quite beautiful, but I wouldn't go back.

October is tough...right now they are doing construction on the latest DVC property so the GF is home to construction views and noises. Don't know if they'll be done by October or not.

We stayed there about 5 years ago and were kind of disappointed. We could hear our neighbors make their breakfast plans every morning and heard about their day every night. They seemed like a lovely family, even though we never set eyes on them. There was some star staying there and the concierge and lobby cast members were more interested in discussing who it was than helping us peons and then proceeded to give us incorrect information anyway. It's quite beautiful, but I wouldn't go back.

DVC members can book VGF starting OCT 23 so construction should not be an issue by then.

Stick with the GF. You won't regret it.
We liked BWI but it had much more of a "cooped up" feeling, IMO. GF is open and gorgeous and top notch. You can see the other resorts in the MK area and the Castle and the Seven Seas Lagoon, etc.

BWI is similar in that it is very pretty and "feminine" - but that's it.

I'm not entirely sure what made us not love it....I had visited the BWI many times before, having stayed in all the other Epcot resorts. BWI just wasn't as special as some of the other resorts. We liked many things about BWI-and still had a great time. We just wouldn't return. As an example- we thought we wouldn't love Contemporary but tried it and it seemed very magical to us- the monorail going through was perfect for my DS5- to watch going through CR or ride! When we stayed at Poly it was because BC was undergoing pool rehab. We were slightly disappointed but we loved the relaxing atmosphere and all the unexpected benefits (fireworks from beach more special than we thought, tiki torches at night etc...) and it became our favorite!! But- yes as one poster posted. Maybe BWI was a bit boring- not outside on the BoardWalk at night, but the interior. I have visited GF for meals and liked it...but after staying at BWI and being underwhelmed I am a little concerned.

i could be wrong:), but it sounds as if your DS5's enjoyment of each resort is paramount (perfectly fine, of course, it just affects which resorts i would suggest).
as much as we love the GF, i honestly don't think a 5yo boy would feel the same (the lobby has amazing architecture, piano player, etc, and the entire resort is incredibly elegant :cloud9:). if your family didn't care for the lively elegance at the BWI, i doubt the more sedate elegance of the GF would do.

IMHO, CR, BC, or poly would probably be the best fit for you now (and when the kids are bit older, try the "other" resorts. once my kids - and nephews - hit about 8yo, they preferred the BWI/BWV, GF, YC rather than BC, etc).
another suggestion:
we used to do "try a new resort night(s)".... you could start the vacation with a night or 2 at the GF, and end it with your current favorite :)

We liked BWI but it had much more of a "cooped up" feeling, IMO. GF is open and gorgeous and top notch. You can see the other resorts in the MK area and the Castle and the Seven Seas Lagoon, etc.

Thanks! That is very helpful. All the posts have been very helpful. My kids' opinions of resorts do matter, but are not the only factor. I think we will go ahead with our GF reservation. I am thinking over the advice of a split stay- although we have never done that and I don't think I'd like repacking! I really wanted confirmation that the "feel" of the resort was different than BWI.

If it helps...my dd11 loves the GF!!! We have stayed at the Poly and I can say that the GF has a brighter airy feeling to the rooms than the Poly. It also doesn't seem as spread out. We are staying at the Contemporary so it will be interesting. The GF remains our home away from home and we love it there!!!

If it helps...my dd11 loves the GF!!! We have stayed at the Poly and I can say that the GF has a brighter airy feeling to the rooms than the Poly. It also doesn't seem as spread out. We are staying at the Contemporary so it will be interesting. The GF remains our home away from home and we love it there!!!

Thanks- it does help. My dd will be 11 when we stay at GF. She is looking forward to it as the style appeals to her very much. I do find the grounds and lobby of GF beautiful, and have heard the service is wonderful. I have heard GF explained as similar to BWI so after having stayed at BWI I began to second guess the decision to stay there- and the quest to give all the deluxe resorts a try. Wendy 5055- We stayed at the CR in March 2012 and had a great experience. I hope you do, too.

For anyone considering BWI -please know we did like the resort and LOVE the Epcot resort locations for convenience and the beauty of Crescent Lake. Both DD10 and DS6 loved the pool area. For our family it just wasn't quite as magical as some other vacations. Also- Boardwalk Bakery was closed so some of the QS dining options were limited which may have played into our overall feelings.

Totally agree with you. That is exactly what we thought..."cooped up"... could not have used a better word. Besides the "feminine" similarity, they are nothing alike.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter