Book suggestions for teen girls

Neesy228

DIS Veteran
We are doing the "something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read" idea for our nieces and nephews for christmas.

Most of our nieces and nephews are young, so this is fun and easy! However, our oldest DN is almost 15. I'm wondering if anyone has any great book suggestions for teen girls?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!:goodvibes

I was going to suggest The Fault in our Stars as well. :thumbsup2 DD14 really enjoyed it.

John Green has some other, older books as well - Looking For Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines, etc.

Allegiant was just released, but it is the third book in a series. The first is called Divergent.

The Maze Runner was a great book for teens.

Legend gets great reviews, but DD has not read it.

I have not read this yet, but it is on my list (much more serious than the others, though) - I Am Malala.

There is another dystopian book that is fairly new and is supposed to be very good, but the name escapes me at the moment.

If you wanted to give a classic, Pride and Prejudice was always one of my favorites.

I agree to check with the mom to see what your niece has already read.

The Divergent series is excellent

One of my personal favourites are The House of the Scorpion, and it's sequel, The Lord of Opium, was just released

I also enjoy the Seven Realms novels, the first one is titled The Demon King

I do read Game of Thrones, though I leave it up to you to decide if you would find that appropriate for your daughter

If she hasn't read it yet, I suggest the Ender's Game series. Orson Scott Card may not have views we all agree with, but there is no denying he has a talent for writing

The Book Thief is a good read as well, though it may be a little young, I read it in elementary school and still enjoy the book to this day

The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke is a wonderful book

Tailchaser's Song is a very old book, so you may have difficulties finding it, but I enjoy it immensely

Dune is a book I think every person on the entire planet needs to read

Those are my suggestions so far. You didn't mention what your DD has already read, otherwise I'd make suggestions like Percy Jackson and such.

I was coming on to recommend "The Fault in our Stars" as well, but I see it was already mentioned several times.... so I guess I'll "third" the suggestion.

How about a classic? Pride and Prejudice, The Great Gatsby, Little Women, something she could love for a lifetime...............P

My DD is 12 and she's an avid reader. I will often read her books because they're really good. The fault in our stars was good. The mortal instruments series was good. The divergent series was good and if she hasn't read all the Hunger games books they're good too. Buying books is tricky unless you already know what she's read.

My daughter enjoyed books by Jodi Picoult at that age.

My daughter enjoyed books by Jodi Picoult at that age.
Jodi Picoult would be a good choice! The Pact would be good, so would the one about the girl with cancer that was made into a movie(I can't recall the name!). Girls that age like Nicholas Sparks, and I cannot give enough love to the Divergent series! Love, love, love! If she reads a lot she may have read many of those.

Jodi Picoult is way too adult in my opinion for a teenager.. I read her book 19 minutes (I think that's it) this summer and the content was very "adult" with LOTS of cursing.. And I'm talking the big ones!

Jodi Picoult is way too adult in my opinion for a teenager.. I read her book 19 minutes (I think that's it) this summer and the content was very "adult" with LOTS of cursing.. And I'm talking the big ones!
Have you been to a High School recently :lmao:?

I agree with the Legend, Maze Runner and all the other suggestions. I read the Matched series and loved it also. One of my favorite books of all time is Just As Long As We're Together by Judy Blume. I have read it at least 20 times. The Hunger Games series is excellent if she hasn't read them all yet.

That is just one book, they are not all heavy adult content. It depends on the kid, what she reads, and what parents allow.

I agree with the suggestion about the Mortal Instruments series and there is a prequel/sequel series called Infernal Devices. They are written by Cassandra Clare. I bought them (both series) for my (at the time) 16 yr old sister. I was looking for something good for her to start reading and she fell in LOVE with both series! I've also read them and really enjoyed reading them. They just made the first movie and are working on the second. I highly recommend these!

That is just one book, they are not all heavy adult content. It depends on the kid, what she reads, and what parents allow.

Exactly, I don't think 19 Minutes is too inappropriate, although if she's the sort of kid that gets freaked out about stuff, then it might be worth avoiding until she's out of high school (it's about a school shooting). My Sister's Keeper, however, is most definitely age appropriate. Handle With Care was another of my favorites.

Hunger Games is excellent, but I would think that she's probably read them by now or, if she hasn't, she doesn't want to. If she likes Hunger Games then I would recommend Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. It's a trilogy, with a related book tacked on. The Gone series by Michael Grant is pretty interesting too. They are both dystopian society type series, like Hunger Games.

At her age, I also loved The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. It is written from the perspective of a boy with autism. Mao's Last Dancer is very good and there is a movie. It is about a boy who was a ballet dancer in communist China. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini or A Thousand Splendid Suns by the same author are fantastic, but do have some heavy content - they are set in Afghanistan. The Power of One by Bryce Courtney is also good - it's considered a classic in Australia, but not so sure about the U.S. John Marsden is another great Australian author; his series Tomorrow When the War Began is another must-read for Aussie teenagers.

How about a classic? Pride and Prejudice, The Great Gatsby, Little Women, something she could love for a lifetime...............P
Agree with this. Let her read some of these wonderful books before school ruins them (unless she has an excellent teacher). I love Pride and Prejudice (and fortunately my year 11 literature teacher helped encourage that love), so I think that could be a good one to start with. Little Women is another of my favourites, although I did read it when I was a lot younger than your niece.

I know some bookstores in Australia offer (or used to offer) return cards with books, so you can just put the card inside the cover and they can exchange it if they already have it. It might be worth seeing if any bookstores in your area offer something like that.

How about a gift card to Barnes and Noble or another book store? I teach this age group and the girls all like different types. If you are unsure if they will like Divergent or a Sarah Dessen I suggest the gift card.

It's old fashioned, but the Anne of Green Gables series was, and still is, one of my favs. Also, Kingdom Keepers are cool. Judy Blume is good as well.

A gift card to Barnes and noble would be great too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter